Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Castle creations ESC settings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

Default Castle creations ESC settings

What settings do you guys change to get the best performance out of your yxl? I noticed that when the brake is applied it almost wants to do a front flip, I also worry about stripping the gears with it braking so hard. When I hooked it to my laptop I noticed that the brake was set to 50%, I changed that to 10%, I also changed the throttle and brake cure so they would come on slowly, hopefully preventing and gear damage. What do you guys set them to or do you just leave them at the factory settings? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it performing its best.
yetibasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Castle creations ESC settings

I changed PUNCH to 70% BRAKE to 30% and left everything else alone and it is great for me.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #3

Thanks Steve, I am going to try it with the way I have it set up, if I don't like it I will try your settings. thanks
Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Punch control is your friend plus a smooth trigger finger.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

80 25 for me.
VNEMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

Does the punch control stop the jump when you touch the throttle?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

It doesn't stop it but it makes of neutral a little softer or calms the HIT when you pull the trigger.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Much better, thanks. Do you guys play with the reverse? Any of you change it to crawler? It jumps when you hit reverse.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have my reverse at 50 and punch at 0. I used to run punch much higher. I wouldn't set a drag break on it unless you plan on crawling (makes the motor get hot). BHB seems to think it's a great crawler but he's wrong . Crawl with a SCX10, Wraith, Bomber, Ascender, etc.

Destroy shit and put the fear of God in to puny mortals with the Yeti XL.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I sent off for a set of gears from BHB. I think I'll be adjusting my punch control-currently at 0 and I'm on my second pack and already getting grinding noises from somewhere. I'm hoping with his gears and some toned down settings my gears will survive longer
Adamgllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamgllc View Post
I sent off for a set of gears from BHB. I think I'll be adjusting my punch control-currently at 0 and I'm on my second pack and already getting grinding noises from somewhere. I'm hoping with his gears and some toned down settings my gears will survive longer
From everything I have read and learned over the last 6mo or so you will NOT have issues with BHB gear mod but bearings etc will be your only headache in the future.

Some on this and multiple forums cry and complain that reducing the settings in your ESC should not be the way to keep the YXL alive. There are many RCs that can survive on 6s all day long but doesn't make them fun. If you have to go from 6s to 5s to have fun than isn't that the same thing as reducing your settings in your ESC? IMO it is. It's all about fun and if reducing total cell count or pulling some power out is what it takes than do it.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
From everything I have read and learned over the last 6mo or so you will NOT have issues with BHB gear mod but bearings etc will be your only headache in the future.

Some on this and multiple forums cry and complain that reducing the settings in your ESC should not be the way to keep the YXL alive. There are many RCs that can survive on 6s all day long but doesn't make them fun. If you have to go from 6s to 5s to have fun than isn't that the same thing as reducing your settings in your ESC? IMO it is. It's all about fun and if reducing total cell count or pulling some power out is what it takes than do it.
I'm actually only running 4s in mine and don't have any intentions of running 6s. I have the batteries to do it, but every vehicle I have owned has never survived on 6s. I don't have a record of taking it easy...I never have any trouble breaking stuff on 4s
Old 08-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Try 6s man, you'll like. You'll be cool. All the cool kids are doing it. Girls like the YXL on 6s. It's just a little more power, you can handle it.

6s is a drug. 4s is fun, don't get me wrong. 6s is rails off a stripper's ass.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:22 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

6S is a whole new world. I can't remember the last time I ran 4S.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Try 6s man, you'll like. You'll be cool. All the cool kids are doing it. Girls like the YXL on 6s. It's just a little more power, you can handle it.

6s is a drug. 4s is fun, don't get me wrong. 6s is rails off a stripper's ass.
Don't get me wrong, I want to run 6S I just don't want to be replacing diffs every run. I'm literally two packs into my kit and the stock gears are already grinding and sound like crap on 4s. the big truck I had before this was a savage flux HP with an Alza racing center diff and chassis which is supposed to be a bulletproof setup for bashing and I couldn't even keep that thing together on 6S....
Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #16
RCC Addict

.... I run my 6s packs then my 4s packs almost every time I run... I leave with a smile on my face now!! 0 punch control with a heavy throttle!! My transmission / HD Pinions / wax diff and hex pin mods has held up great .. I think my next project is going to be a center diff XL pitbasher the XLP !!
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Adamgllc, I felt the same way when I first got my YXL. I felt like I was breaking something almost every run and I only ran 4s. I never thought I would run 6s because the rig could barely handle 4s. The YXL is not a Savage or a Slash and does take some getting used to. It's a fun basher but it requires a slightly different driving style. Some upgrades are mandatory for durability and control in order to get the most enjoyment out of the rig. If you punch it off the line, you'll destroy the gears and it will flip (sucks having to put it back on all 4s). Hell, if you punch it while it's at half throttle it'll flip on 6s (it's fun but violent). It rolls when you turn at high speed, etc. If you don't land on all 4 wheels when jumping you can almost see the dollar signs flying out of it. However, the more you drive it, the harder you can push it, less it will break and the less you'll be running after it to flip it over.

You kind of have to drive like a puss for a bit to be able to not drive it like a puss. I beat the hell out of mine now and rarely have breakage. When I do break something it's my fault. It's my favorite RC to run. The nastier the terrain the more fun it is to drive on. Big spaces with chucky terrain, some hard pack for speed, massive hills and jumps.... those spots are paradise.

6s needs space and ninja like throttle control. It'll give you perma-grin and you'll end up spending money on a few more 3s packs no parts once you're dialed in. I still run my 4s when I'm a really good spot just because it's fun to drive. 4s feels like a cool down, which is still a blast.

There are some that want it to be a Slash 4x4 or an X-Maxx. The YXL is not for everyone.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
.... I run my 6s packs then my 4s packs almost every time I run... I leave with a smile on my face now!! 0 punch control with a heavy throttle!! My transmission / HD Pinions / wax diff and hex pin mods has held up great .. I think my next project is going to be a center diff XL pitbasher the XLP !!
I've got pinions on the way from you, but what have you done to the transmission? and you are running wax in your diffs instead of diff fluid?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Adamgllc, I felt the same way when I first got my YXL. I felt like I was breaking something almost every run and I only ran 4s. I never thought I would run 6s because the rig could barely handle 4s. The YXL is not a Savage or a Slash and does take some getting used to. It's a fun basher but it requires a slightly different driving style. Some upgrades are mandatory for durability and control in order to get the most enjoyment out of the rig. If you punch it off the line, you'll destroy the gears and it will flip (sucks having to put it back on all 4s). Hell, if you punch it while it's at half throttle it'll flip on 6s (it's fun but violent). It rolls when you turn at high speed, etc. If you don't land on all 4 wheels when jumping you can almost see the dollar signs flying out of it. However, the more you drive it, the harder you can push it, less it will break and the less you'll be running after it to flip it over.

You kind of have to drive like a puss for a bit to be able to not drive it like a puss. I beat the hell out of mine now and rarely have breakage. When I do break something it's my fault. It's my favorite RC to run. The nastier the terrain the more fun it is to drive on. Big spaces with chucky terrain, some hard pack for speed, massive hills and jumps.... those spots are paradise.

6s needs space and ninja like throttle control. It'll give you perma-grin and you'll end up spending money on a few more 3s packs no parts once you're dialed in. I still run my 4s when I'm a really good spot just because it's fun to drive. 4s feels like a cool down, which is still a blast.

There are some that want it to be a Slash 4x4 or an X-Maxx. The YXL is not for everyone.
I agree that it isn't a slash or am X-Maxx, that's why I wanted it, I wanted something different! when I put the kit together I got an aluminum bulkhead, aluminum top plate, and metal steering rack. I'm hoping when I add the HD gears from BHB to those items it will be fairly durable. if there is any other upgrades you think are needed right away please let me know.

Castle creations ESC settings - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle Sidewinder ESC settings? SerpentCT4S Axial SCX-10 6 07-24-2014 04:07 PM
Castle MMP (MOA) ESC Settings. Jcdelcarmen Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 12-08-2011 12:25 PM
castle creations sidwinder esc trevdogg420 Newbie General 5 12-20-2009 10:21 AM
Castle Creations esc Problems... symplyrrc Newbie General 6 12-20-2008 04:16 PM