Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Slipper clutch broke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Slipper clutch broke

I was out yesterday in the wet mud and puddles for about 30 minutes until the car stopped moving when I was using the throttle on the transmitter it was just giving me a loud buzzing noise.
Came home checked the slipper clutch and this is what I found..

What is the cause of this? Gears being too tight?
I've never had the slipper clutch out in front of me this is the first time since I've owned the car and I've had it for around 2 months now.

Thanks.
Ashley S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Slipper clutch broke

The slipper is on the spur. The thin aluminum plates on the spur. What you're showing is the transmission gears. A slipper is supposed to stop breakage like that, but the YXL slipper is useless.

I'm not sure what causes them to blow like that. I've never broken one on my YXL (knock on wood). I have on other rigs. It could be a defect in the gears or could be because Axial is a bit liberal with the amount of play they allow in their transmissions. BH has a good video on just how sloppy a YXL tranny can be from the factory. I checked my slop in mine and it's not nearly as bad as his was. This industry is crazy in that regard. They change materials and specs constantly and don't do change logs. Thankfully we have change logs, patch notes, readmes, etc. in my industry.

Robinson Racing and Hot Racing make replacements. A call to Axial may result in new ones being sent to you since you haven't had it that long.

A good mod for some has been to put the Robinson Racing Yeti spur and slipper on the YXL. There's a good thread in this forum detail the part number and how to do make it fit. I still run the stock slipper and just try to be easy on the throttle off the line.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks like bearing went FIRST. In the bottom pic I see an inner race but nothing else like the bearing came apart and the carnage followed.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Pro Mod Steve said it.... Bearing blew and in turn caused your gears to chew each other up. That is precisely what happened to mine. It is likely that your transmission case is toast too. I'm betting that the bearing is embedded into the housing and out of true. You'll need a new housing, bearings and whatever gears cannibalized themselves.

Barharborbasher says that GPM has a metal transmission housing on the way which should help this issue be less common since I think the bearings and gears are able to walk in the plastic housing under heavy load. The Yeti XL is no lightweight and depending on how your trigger finger is and what type of power you are putting through it play a big part of the stresses put on it. Also, high grip situations will break stuff really fast. If you are pulling the trigger hard while on pavement that'll speed up the wear and tear.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I raised this issue and my modification has held up to full throttle & No punch... The compounding play on each side of the (Idler) gear is causing this blow-out... The ground force feedback on the output colliding with the compounding force of the motor leads to Gear Misalignment.....
Too Bad Mike I was gonna fix that for ya... Ive came up with a easy way for making on-sizes transmission pins...That would've eliminated the excessive play.
.I've always blame plastic for the easy out... but the plastic drivetrain has proved me wrong (after) the HD gears were modified.. On the other hand I have transmission temps reach 130 because of the hot slipper & dry transmission (hi temp contact grease)... That's why I installed a transmission cooler in the XLX lol... Possibly the slipper heat along with poor fitment and stock bearings is a explanation ...

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 08-23-2016 at 03:51 PM.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Take this for what it is worth. After a year since I built my YXL kit I am still running the original gears and housing on 6S. I installed all ceramic bearings in the trans when I built it. I don't run in wet conditions and I pull the trans every 8 packs and clean and lube all gears and bearings. I have replaced all the bearings once soo far as a precaution but soo far trouble free for over a year. I am not pointing fingers or saying anyone is right or wrong just giving my real world experience with mine.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I raised this issue and my modification has held up to full throttle & No punch... The compounding play on each side of the (Idler) gear is causing this blow-out... The ground force feedback on the output colliding with the compounding force of the motor leads to Gear Misalignment.....
Too Bad Mike I was gonna fix that for ya... Ive came up with a easy way for making on-sizes transmission pins...That would've eliminated the excessive play.
.I've always blame plastic for the easy out... but the plastic drivetrain has proved me wrong (after) the HD gears were modified.. On the other hand I have transmission temps reach 130 because of the hot slipper & dry transmission (hi temp contact grease)... That's why I installed a transmission cooler in the XLX lol... Possibly the slipper heat along with poor fitment and stock bearings is a explanation ...
Whats this easy way for making tranny pins?

OP, pick up a fast eddy bearing kit for xl (non 2 speed), and start replacing bearings. Stock axial bearings are horrible and will cost you money. Perfect example is what happened to you, bearings let go and now costing you more money on gears and housing.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Slipper clutch broke - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slipper clutch mach10driver RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 08-24-2012 02:46 AM
slipper clutch KMass713 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 10-22-2009 11:42 PM
Slipper clutch Chevyfanaddict Axial SCX-10 3 04-12-2009 08:36 AM
Slipper clutch donkeykong Traxxas Crawlers 9 12-08-2005 08:12 AM