Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: UPDATE...Yeti XL Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default UPDATE...Yeti XL Mods

Well not trying to revisit this topic, but it has been awhile from my research that an new updated thread be created for this. Just asking all you Yeti XL gurus that have gone through all the pain when first building your kits and then running them. Some of those gurus such as Barharborbasher, Promodsteve have come up with a lot of fixes for this awesome machine. Just wondering if we could make a new updated list of must have mods for the YXL. Answer some questions out there such as, Do I need a Dhawk front diff housing, with the new bevel gears? or can I just do the three bearing mod and be good? Any suggestions for good motor combo? Good tire and wheel combos? Etc....hope this is over kill since there is a lot on these forums...thought just putting all of it in one....TIA
Brinkman804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: UPDATE...Yeti XL Mods

1- I have had a DHAWK aluminum front diff housing in my parts box for months. With the BHB gear mod I have never needed it and I don't use the 3 bearing mod.
2- For me the Pro line 3.8 wheels hold up way better than stock or the MT-4
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Promod Steve thanks....so do the bhb mod , with dhawk spacer?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

A good steering set up is important good servo, horn, bell crank, BEC make the rig much more fun to drive. There are some ESCs (MMX) that have decent internal BECs making them optional.
I haven't done the BHB mod on my diffs and blew out the rear quickly. I ended up going back to the stock gears in the rear and still have HD up front. No issues on the front with the V2 Dhawk bulkhead and a Dhawk spacer. When I get another set of HD for the rear I will do the BHB mod.

Steve is spot on with the Pro-Line wheels. Much more durable then stock. They're light and they hold the wheel nut on better.

I think having a few stock rear drive shafts and putting a threaded post in it is a worth while mod. The HR drive shafts look good, but I haven't tried one. I broke a Dhawk drive shaft a long time ago and just went back to stock. I keep 3 on hand.

ESC tuning is important. Punch control helps when the rig is new. Understanding that it's not a tank like a Slash. If you punch it off the line or slam on the brakes, things break. You don't need to drive like a puss either. The drivetrain can't handle the power and weight, even on 4s. You'll have more fun if you drive with some sense. Less flipping it over and less time doing the walk of shame when it breaks.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for info...I did put in hr driveshaft, hr bellcrank, aluminum steering post, Did 3 bearing mod front and rear....been second guessing that and doing the dhawk and bhb mod...confusing as to which works the best...Fast Eddie bearings installed, aluminum pivot balls all around, rpm front tower, rpm lower arms, stainless screw set.... I drive the shit out of my trucks lol trying to get it ready for the life it will have lol
Old 11-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkman804 View Post
Promod Steve thanks....so do the bhb mod , with dhawk spacer?
This is what I did and has been bullet proof on 6S.
Deckard is correct. On the shaft I have twisted 2 stockers with the screw in the hollow end mod on 6S. Have a GPM on order as it has worked the best for me but still has it's limitations.

Last edited by pro mod steve; 11-23-2016 at 06:50 PM.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Had a pretty good Wednesday this week....besides trying to finish up the yeti XL build, I got a Arrma Outcast to play with now. Same day an old tmaxx 4909 nitro....for the wife...which plan on keeping nitro...so my family now consists of a losi xxl 454, savage x4.6, tmaxx, yeti XL, arrma outcast....its growing fast

UPDATE...Yeti XL Mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL MODS BarHarborBasher Axial Yeti XL 19 05-20-2017 03:42 PM
From Axial: YETI Hub Update Ty@Tekin Axial Yeti 65 02-17-2015 09:07 PM
picture update, new mods and bods on first crawler RickSDMF Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 3 06-20-2006 07:32 PM
TXT Phase 3 Mods. 56K Warn update 12/01 More Changes RCALLOYS Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 26 11-29-2004 03:52 PM