Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: 2-speed durability?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 2-speed durability?

While pretty much everything else in my YXL is upgraded or modified somehow, I'm now thinking about putting 2-speed transmission in. Running HotRacing alloy tranny case already.

Please share your experiences.

What 2-speed you have (Axial? Hot racing? etc.)
Does it stay in one piece? Breaks easily?
Any other problems?

Thanks in advance for your input
xwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2-speed durability?

Unfortunately there is no Axial 2-speed that ever got released, so your best bet is Hot Racing. Haven't seen many reviews at all of the HR kit but their gears are good so it's worth a shot, the system looks like the Summit's 2-speed which works fine but HR uses a standard size servo instead which is good. The only question is whether you want the added complexity and will really need the 1st gear being three times slower.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

I use this axial 2 speed transmission: Axial Racing - 2-Speed Hi/Lo Transmission Components

It has held up well after about 40 packs, but I typically do not shift under load.

Simply select low range for crawling and high range for driving around.

[Edit] in hindsight I did not need to two speed tranny. I just needed a different pinion gear but I didn't know any better at the time. Have been thinking about replacing it with a DIG.

Last edited by 12earth; 03-09-2018 at 01:48 PM.
12earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks both,

Since I have the HR tranny case an HR 2-speed set might be a good choice. Just wanted to hear if there is a chance it works or is more like a disaster waiting.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12earth View Post
I use this axial 2 speed transmission: Axial Racing - 2-Speed Hi/Lo Transmission Components

It has held up well after about 40 packs, but I typically do not shift under load.

Simply select low range for crawling and high range for driving around.

[Edit] in hindsight I did not need to two speed tranny. I just needed a different pinion gear but I didn't know any better at the time. Have been thinking about replacing it with a DIG.
Those are for the 1/10 Yeti/Bomber trans and not the 1/8 Yeti XL. Axial never released the Yeti XL 2-speed despite designing the trans with it in mind.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

I have the hot racing transmission case and the hot racing 2 speed gears

While the quality is awesome I had some issues with it, when first installing it it had problems getting into one of the gears and I was able to figure out

The the 3,5mm bushing was to wide and the teeth’s of the selector only has like 0,5-1mm contact with the teeth’s from the shaft due to the selector shaft from the servo hit the inside of the transmission case as a natural stop.. it wasn’t an option to remove it, So I filed it down to approx 1,5mm and replaced the 4,5 bushing with an extra bearing. That way it had almost full contact between the teeth’s of the selector and axle in both gears
That made it all work out for me.
Walbum4262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbum4262 View Post
I have the hot racing transmission case and the hot racing 2 speed gears

While the quality is awesome I had some issues with it, when first installing it it had problems getting into one of the gears and I was able to figure out

The the 3,5mm bushing was to wide and the teeth’s of the selector only has like 0,5-1mm contact with the teeth’s from the shaft due to the selector shaft from the servo hit the inside of the transmission case as a natural stop.. it wasn’t an option to remove it, So I filed it down to approx 1,5mm and replaced the 4,5 bushing with an extra bearing. That way it had almost full contact between the teeth’s of the selector and axle in both gears
That made it all work out for me.
Thanks! Really appreciate it, these are the stories I was looking for.

Has it been ok, no broken gears etc?
Old 03-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

Truth be told I haven’t been out bashing with it, only had it up and down the road for a test drive. Waiting for the weather to get better here in Denmark and I also have some components incoming that I wanna put on it before going out
Walbum4262 is offline   Reply With Quote

2-speed durability? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G made durability wolfman114 G-Made Crawlers 4 06-20-2014 01:30 PM
Durability update... TEAM-JCJ Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 09-03-2007 10:33 AM
R2 durability? sticksNstones General Crawlers 0 01-30-2007 10:14 PM
High-Speed Durability Mad Scientist Tamiya Clod Buster 8 10-28-2005 12:26 PM