Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti Servo Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

Default Ichoptop's Yeti

I popped the new yeti out of the box last night and put it on the work bench to go over it. After thread locker and checking everything I put a battery in it and the servo turn left and locks. I could manually pull it back and then it would work for a few turns back and forth but the turn to the right side is much slower than the left and most of the time it wont re-center itself. I pulled the servo loose and it does the same thing with no load. I sent Axial an email today, hopefully they will have something good to say. Sucks having a new rig and just being able to look at it on the bench.
At least the Wraith is having fun with it.

Last edited by ichoptop; 09-24-2014 at 06:09 AM.
ichoptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #2

Default Re: Yeti Servo Issue

After talking to Axial's customer service I have decided that they pretty much suck. They told me to have my local dealer replace the servo but my local dealer says they haven't received any replacement parts in over a year from Axial. So I will be calling Axial back and forcing them to send me a new servo (which they wont have in stock until the end of October) just on principle. We all know its not a good servo for this car so it will probably just get trashed.

Anyways, New hi-torque servo from Hi Tec, BEC, Vanquish aluminum hubs and some traxxas steering arms I had laying around. I'll solder in the BEC tonight and I might actually be able to drive the Yeti I purchased over a week ago.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Had similar issues with my servo last week and had a new one shipped to me in 3 days under warranty no questions asked. They are out of stock and sent me a Futaba. It was was going in the parts bin, so it didnt matter what they sent.

Could have just been who you talked to, as my CSR was great. I will say I almost didnt call, as my experience is usually similar to yours.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Why did you put a BEC in the car how does that help? I have RC buggy and I never put a BEC in them. Are crawler different?
HulkYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkYeti View Post
Why did you put a BEC in the car how does that help? I have RC buggy and I never put a BEC in them. Are crawler different?
In simple terms, BEC voltage is based on input. A 2S lipo you get about 3 amps which can handle most RTR servos but the big ones will have issues. 3 amps is very low for crawling and the weight of the Yeti.

Now when you increase voltage to 3S or more, you lower the Amp output, so you can't run much without overamping and stopping the servo from working.

The Castle BEC is 10Amps, and is adjustable voltage (for the nice servos that can handle more voltage). I'd wire in with the Holmes Hobby BEC Reciver Bypass (so now the ESC is powering the Receiver, but the BEC powers only the Servos for better power delivery to the servo).

Is a BEC mandatory for all RC? No, most racing and lighter cars do ok without or have a better ESC that has a bit more BEC Amperage. Is it mandatory in crawling...I think so no matter the level of crawling. Comp trucks, scale trucks, and U4 rigs like the Yeti.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
In simple terms, BEC voltage is based on input. A 2S lipo you get about 3 amps which can handle most RTR servos but the big ones will have issues. 3 amps is very low for crawling and the weight of the Yeti.

Now when you increase voltage to 3S or more, you lower the Amp output, so you can't run much without overamping and stopping the servo from working.

The Castle BEC is 10Amps, and is adjustable voltage (for the nice servos that can handle more voltage). I'd wire in with the Holmes Hobby BEC Reciver Bypass (so now the ESC is powering the Receiver, but the BEC powers only the Servos for better power delivery to the servo).

Is a BEC mandatory for all RC? No, most racing and lighter cars do ok without or have a better ESC that has a bit more BEC Amperage. Is it mandatory in crawling...I think so no matter the level of crawling. Comp trucks, scale trucks, and U4 rigs like the Yeti.
THank you good to know. I race buggy and I have a high Voltage servo so I never have to worry about BEC and I am planning on putting a 3S Lipo on my yeti when I get it tomorrow.

How about if I put in a HV servo do I still need a BEC????
Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

guys, i put my Castle BEC in the servo compartment for the 2-speed and routed the wires on the servo wire routing, very clean and hides the BEC well. it fits the Castle BEC like a glove, 1mm more and i won't be able to get it in. har.

too lazy to unscrew the whole top front off to take the 2-speed servo cover off, but you can see the BEC wiring nicely routed on the chassis floor. i also cut a small piece of foam (on hindsight, it should've been rubber) to fit in the cable entrance to make the compartment at least dust proof.

Last edited by dextan22; 09-24-2014 at 09:17 PM.
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #8

I got it up and running tonight. It's dark out so taking it outside isn't an option but it chases the dogs around the living room nicely. It's as good excuse as any to get some lights on it.

Good call on hiding the BEC. Next tear down I will probably move it over.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How about if I put in a HV servo do I still need a BEC????
Absolutely required then. Otherwise you'll only be getting 6 volts at 3 amps.

With the Castle BEC, oyu'd get adjustable voltage (5.1v to 9v or more). HV's want 7.4v to take advantage of speed and torque claims.

You will need a Castle Link to adjust the voltage, or one your LHS or friend might have to program the BEC.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Absolutely required then. Otherwise you'll only be getting 6 volts at 3 amps.

With the Castle BEC, oyu'd get adjustable voltage (5.1v to 9v or more). HV's want 7.4v to take advantage of speed and torque claims.

You will need a Castle Link to adjust the voltage, or one your LHS or friend might have to program the BEC.
So I should be running BEC on all my buggies seens they all have HV servo???
Old 09-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So I should be running BEC on all my buggies seens they all have HV servo???
If you want to use them for the HV capability. HV just means High Voltage.

Servos used to run at 6.0v, but the HV lines came out to take advantage of the higher voltage of the Lipos. They can and will run better on 7.4v (faster and more torque).

Do you need it in racing? I usually skip HV servos for racing vehicles, because adding more electronics and weight just isn't needed most of the time. I usually buy the best servo in the normal 6.0v range really. If you bought an HV for its speed and torque though, its a good thing to have installed so you can use it to its full potential.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yeah or else you're not using the servo to it's full potential.
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti Servo Issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Yeti with servo issue, need help. Tower513 Electronics 4 04-29-2015 10:00 AM
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
jr servo issue jscalecrawler Electronics 3 12-19-2011 01:59 PM