Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Best aluminum rear axle for u4 on yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Best aluminum rear axle for u4 on yeti

Who is running what on there yeti for u4/trailing I've had just about everything there is out there but never on a fast rig. I'm looking for what works on this rig well. Currie? Rc4wd? Reg vp? Looking for aluminum because I've ovaled 2 plastic pinion bearing holes and tore up 2 hd ring and pinion due to it.
AWraith build is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Best aluminum rear axle for u4 on yeti

I have a GCM MetalHead center pumpkin axle that I'm putting on next week after I let our local club members beat on the stock Yeti this Sunday.

gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

We suggest the VP aluminum AR60 axle, mainly for the reason of easy access in to the diff for maintenance. 4 screw to remove is really nice when you are having to get in there and check the diff out
CKRC Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I agree, 4 screws does make it convenient but 14 is awesome looking, lol.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I went with the currie axle. Should be here tomorrow I will post up once I get it under there

Sent from space
Crawlininga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I would go with this:

Wraith/AX10/SCX10 pinion bearing mod

Plus some beef tubes. Although the aluminum axles are nice they still have a small bearing on the pinion which i believe is the part that fails more frequently, at least in my case. Now if they upgrade to the bigger bearing that would be sweet
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Currie here.

SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The aluminum has all the same issues, maybe more with the pinion bearing. Use traxxas or HPI bushing instead. Have VP AR60 style on my Wraith Class 3, been through tons of bearings and HD gear set due to poor bearing size choice.

I myself went with DLux plastic with the big bearing mod. Holding up just fine. I chose to try this to avoid the weight of aluminum, since it has no benefits onaling the pinion bearings last longer. I run the provided bigger bearing and an HPI bushing on the outer. Should be bullet proof assuming the cases take the abuse.

Why VP has never taken anyone's advice on a bigger 5x13 bearing at least on one of the pinion bearings to help...no one will know. I've spoken to Steve Brown at VP about it, just got dismissed.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Do u have a heat issue with the bushings? I was running the traxxas ones and it got so hot that I spit on it and it sizzled. Idk maybe it's due to the stock rear arms being clapped and putting weird side loads on it. All arms replaced now.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Curries are my fav for sure! I was waiting to see if they came out with a centered one. I know I can tune shocks for rage extra weight but would like to keep it as light as possible
Old 09-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The bushings wear out eventually, but never had a heat issue on the Yeti or the much higher powered Wraith.

Remember the axle weight is all unsprung weight. The reason I'm trying to avoid it.

I have personally seen a VP centered Currie axle. I even held it and looked at it. Pretty cool look for sure. Steve @ Vanquish said they were coming soon.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
I have a GCM MetalHead center pumpkin axle that I'm putting on next week after I let our local club members beat on the stock Yeti this Sunday.
Bullet proof
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #13

I have a gcm metalheads on my U4 that have been bullet proof. The GCM last lockers sucked. Kept loosening, and the set screws kept loosening and were hard to get to. Vanquish's lockers have worked really well with the metalheads. I bought the currie for my yeti because I love the look of them, but had issues with the snapring holding in the bearings on the outer tubes. They wore throwing the aluminum causing the bearings to fall out. Axle is now useless. Contacted vanquish and they said they would take care of it but haven't heard anything. If I could do it again is buy the metalhead.
Attached Images

.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by .com View Post
I have a gcm metalheads on my U4 that have been bullet proof. The GCM last lockers sucked. Kept loosening, and the set screws kept loosening and were hard to get to. Vanquish's lockers have worked really well with the metalheads. I bought the currie for my yeti because I love the look of them, but had issues with the snapring holding in the bearings on the outer tubes. They wore throwing the aluminum causing the bearings to fall out. Axle is now useless. Contacted vanquish and they said they would take care of it but haven't heard anything. If I could do it again is buy the metalhead.
I had this happen on my scx10 currie and that's why I never pulled the plug for the yeti. I even made sure it wasn't rubbing on the axle bc I know rhat was an issue.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

X3 on the dlux housing. Not in a yeti but in my U4 rig. Definitely more robust. Also dlux front diff housing a good idea too.

Dna

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by .com View Post
I think youre the 3rd or 4th guy Ive seen with this happening to the curries.
lsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

CarterFab has made some bad-ass axle assemblies that seem to hold up well.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Seems that GCM will release his aluminum axle housing with an upgraded 5x13 bearing, that should put it in 1st place for beefiness among the aluminum axle housings
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #19

Is vp really coming up with a centered currie for the yeti?
difflock120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by difflock120 View Post
Is vp really coming up with a centered currie for the yeti?
Not so much for the Yeti only, but yes I have personally seen it. Steve @ Vanquish brought them to ECSC and had them in the SuperShafty tent all weekend. Since I stayed in the same cabin as Rick and Steve, I was able to look them over, seem like a good Yeti option, but really will fit lots of things.

Best aluminum rear axle for u4 on yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*** GiveAway ***AXIAL ALUMINUM REAR AXLE LOCK-OUTS RPP Hobby Axial SCX-10 148 08-01-2009 12:12 PM
Non steering aluminum rear axle knuckle conversion? 65BAJA Tamiya TLT Crawlers 16 01-07-2007 01:34 AM