Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Need opinions- Mamba Max Pro vs RX8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

I come from an rc helicopter background and in that world, higher voltage is all the rage. A 700 sized helicopter can gobble up 2 5000mah 6s batteries in series (12s) in 3 minutes. The push for higher voltage came from a need to keep temps down. I have some 6s 1300mah packs, and an mmp on the way. Are there any motor options for me?
cullen colapietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #22

Default Re: Need opinions- Mamba Max Pro vs RX8

Has anyone given thought to either of these?
HOBBYWING North America — HOBBYWING xerun 150A, ROAR approved
HOBBYWING North America — XERUN SCT PRO ESC - Blue Edition

I have the 120a in my SCT's and they work great. I have no experience with the 150a.
Misfit138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatroofus View Post
When I want a crawler ESC that is waterproof I use the MMP and waterproof it. For everything else I use RX8's.

Can't beat the ease of modifying settings, and the operation of a Tekin RX8. Much more bang for the buck.

I really don't know how you're talking about "bang for buck" referring to an rx8... Unless you have quite a few dollars you ain't using.. Might I be able to get a couple? ;)
blakeguski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:53 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Got the new et3s. Took me a while to figure out how to reflash it as a normal mmp. Once that was done I had to change out the bullet connectors, stock motor is a 4mm, that traxxas esc uses 3.5, something to keep in mind. Once I got it hooked up, it made my receiver completely wig out. I had the bec set to 7v but with the servo plugged in, it was super glitchy. Turns out after some research the stock bec is just too weak to handle any higher power servos (I run a 7955 hitec) so hoping that was it, I took a bit of a gamble and went to the lhs for the 10a castle esc. Couple hours later, tons of wires and rerouting and it's all out together. Esc fit in stock location which was nice, just used an extra zip tie to keep it safe

Will let you guys know how it holds up to my running tomorrow. I also geared down to a 14t pinion so I think that gearing, with the mmp, and my 55c batteries I should be able to run for about an hour straight! hopefully through some rocks without having to stop due to overheating!
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I hope you Placed your bec in the 2spd servo box, fits and hides it well.
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Where are y'all finding the et-3s that cheap? Can't seem to find one for less that 80$...
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #27

went from a MMP to Tekin rx8 gen 2 never looked back you can tune the rx8 without having to plug it into the computer or tuning card better bec I like saving a couple bucks so I wait for deals to pop up got one for 100 but seen them from 120-140
06taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Has anybody tried to waterproof the RX8? I have waterproofed the MMP and it was no big task. Just followed Harley YouTube video. Just wondering before I tear into my new RX8.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlejon View Post
Where are y'all finding the et-3s that cheap? Can't seem to find one for less that 80$...
It was an eBay take off of course. Not sure if the same seller has any left but you should be able to find one with a similar price.
Edit: just checked eBay and looks like there's not any super good deals out right now. They're usually take offs from the funny car but you're right the lowest I can find is $80 so you may have to wait
Waterproofing an rx8 can be done i believe rc sparks has a how to video on YouTube. I still wouldn't trust submerging a $150 esc or my $100 servo no matter how many times I dipped it in plastidip but that's just me.

Had my first run with the mmp today and trust me guys anyone running the stock esc is missing out. My stock speed control would thermal after 5-10 minutes, maybe last half of one battery pack. The mmp wouldn't break a sweat after two full packs. Never broke 100 degrees, it's seriously impressive and for the price I picked mine up at, you cannot go wrong.

Last edited by SoCal Crawlr; 09-29-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckster View Post
Has anybody tried to waterproof the RX8? I have waterproofed the MMP and it was no big task. Just followed Harley YouTube video. Just wondering before I tear into my new RX8.
Yep! If you have done the MMP it is the same idea regarding the method you take. The only true difference is that the RX8 has two boards (instead of one) that are connected in the middle of both.

Very simple task to do, just remember to keep account of the two little setting adjustment buttons!

Also, the RX8 has screw's attaching the the half's making it very easy!

Have fun!
fatroofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Thanks man
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Crawlr View Post
It was an eBay take off of course. Not sure if the same seller has any left but you should be able to find one with a similar price.
Edit: just checked eBay and looks like there's not any super good deals out right now. They're usually take offs from the funny car but you're right the lowest I can find is $80 so you may have to wait
Waterproofing an rx8 can be done i believe rc sparks has a how to video on YouTube. I still wouldn't trust submerging a $150 esc or my $100 servo no matter how many times I dipped it in plastidip but that's just me.

Had my first run with the mmp today and trust me guys anyone running the stock esc is missing out. My stock speed control would thermal after 5-10 minutes, maybe last half of one battery pack. The mmp wouldn't break a sweat after two full packs. Never broke 100 degrees, it's seriously impressive and for the price I picked mine up at, you cannot go wrong.
Notice any performance gains besides cooling??
db450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:18 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Nothing major performance wise. Just a dramatically more capable esc. If the stock esc doesn't overheat on you I wouldn't see any pressing need to switch. But for me I couldn't get through a full pack without having to let it cool down... So it was a must

Need opinions- Mamba Max Pro vs RX8 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mamba Max Pro motor options.. opinions wanted. morg59jeep Team Losi Comp Crawler 24 11-27-2009 11:17 AM