Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: New kit build, need tips to help it not flip so much

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New kit build, need tips to help it not flip so much

Hi, I just got done building my new Yeti kit and took it out for a test drive. I was surprised to see how unstable it handled. It seems to flip very easy at even moderate to low speed. I have the A-arms set level and the rear ride height pretty low to match the front. I also have a twin hammers and I can drive that with no problem.

So does anyone have any setup tips to make this thing handle higher speeds a little better?
awdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New kit build, need tips to help it not flip so much

Sounds like you may need to take another look at your shock or upgrade the power.
MonsterPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Any recommendations on oil weight or ride height? Power is 2s lipo and tenshock 411 4000kv. Not crazy fast.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Higher power = less traction to ground = less likely to flip more likely to spin out. What oil is in it now? And what hole is your sway bar set in?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If it's a bone stock kit, try running 30wt. on all 4 shocks, put some more preload on the springs, and relocate the sway bar forward more. It's free, and easy to do.
hobbez84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm hardly an expert, but I ran my RTR totally stock, not even a shock tweek, also on 40c 2s battery. Now you have the kit right? So I'm guessing your motor n esc are different, but for me, I found the power plant to be pretty nice, kinda grunty with decent speed.

I thought it was remarkably stable on every surface, all things considered, though any power sliding on high grip surfaces, usually ended up in rolling. Just using my Slash, and Stampede as references, if I set the suspension up to let the outside, weight bearing tires grip hard, they too flip in the same conditions.

The Yeti is heavy truck that has very tall tires with high soft side walls, especially when compared to the reference trucks. They both have very low profile rubber. This is a HUGE difference. Even with the Yeti's anti sway bars at their stiffest, the tires themselves are allowing the weight to transfer outside its center of gravity and causing flips.

This problem shows in all cars, 1:1 cars being an easy example, any normal weight road racing car uses high grip, low profile tires. It is also why a full size off road truck with large OS tires, will flip if turned hard on grippy surfaces. Granted lots of other factors are involved here, but that is certainly a big one to consider.

Another big difference that comes to the fore front to me is the locked rear axle. While its advantageous for straight line acceleration and off-roading in general, it is far from optimal for turning!

Again both my examples have front and rear diffs to aid in the whole power turn thing. This is where monster power's point comes in, when the rear is locked the best way to get it to turn hard and fast without flipping is to power in, lose rear traction, pich the rear and keep on, keeping on

Last edited by Rockwolf; 03-20-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I had a lot of problems with the stock foams. They are toosoft and would cause the sidewall of the tire to collapse causing the rig to roll. I upgraded to c.i. duces wild and it helped a lot
maxPOWAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

More power will not make you traction roll less .

I put 30wt in the rear and keep the ride height low. It's not too bad but it's never going to handle really well, just the nature of the beast.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try moving the swaybar forward.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdtsi View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try moving the swaybar forward.

All of those posts to move the sway bar forward....no offense intended, but I may have learned to shut my pie hole and let Hobbes just state stuff straight n simple and just quote him and type +1. Prolly save me time and carple tunnel
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

DLux sway bars and Crawler Innovations foams. The foams are a huuuuuuuge improvement!
molina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

You really can't TRACTION roll without TRACTION. More power = less traction roll.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPower View Post
You really can't TRACTION roll without TRACTION. More power = less traction roll.
I'm not going to argue with you but this is in no way going to help this particular situation. The stock setup has plenty of power and so does his even on 2s. Driving a IFS RC requires a different technique and applying power where you typically wouldn't to help settle the rear end down. This has nothing to do with more power and everything to do with throttle control.

Last edited by Rjohn929; 03-20-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post

All of those posts to move the sway bar forward....no offense intended, but I may have learned to shut my pie hole and let Hobbes just state stuff straight n simple and just quote him and type +1. Prolly save me time and carple tunnel
LOL, I appreciated your post. I drove a few more packs through it this evening and started getting more comfortable with it's handling. I do think I may try stiffer foams as you can see the Falkens just cave in around corners.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #15

they are inherently unstable and flip very easily,i filled the fuel tank with lead shot and now it tends to slide rather than flip,but compared to my Savage flux it is very light and tippy,i'd also agree about tyres and foams something harder would encourage it to slide rather than flip
simonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #16

I've noticed the same on my rtr. I understand it will never handle like a touring car but still shouldn't have to run after it everythime I make a turn. I've changed the shock oil in the rear and my sway bar is on the forward most setting.
guido5526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Here's some pics of me squeezing stock kit tired and foams and my Voodoos with Crawler Innovations foams. As you can see the stock kit tires collapse very easy. This will cause massive rolling.

molina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I switched to the CI foams, but you defiantly need throttle control cornering at speed. Maybe at 3s it will lose some traction and let it slide a little
Verboten77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Wow...instead of suggesting parts and such to fix a "flipping" problem how about we go a different route. Why don't you learn how to drive it first and get comfortable with it. Don't take that wrong as it isn't intended as a insult. The Yeti has a solid rear axle so it will NOT handle like a short course truck or anything that has IFS/IRS. It also is a different bird compared to a TH which is half the size. Seriously, spend some time driving it and learning what it likes for throttle control before you go throwing a bunch of parts at it.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I am actually a pretty good driver, used to race years ago. I am aware of the limitations of the rigs rear end, but I was just asking for some tips and to see what people have done because there has to be some definite improvements that can be made. Don't get me wrong, I like the truck and I can bash hard with it, I'd just like to see if I can tame down that rear end a notch.

New kit build, need tips to help it not flip so much - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions & Tips for Rubicon Kit Build Parker21 Axial SCX-10 5 01-20-2014 03:43 PM
Dingo Kit - My first build. Any tips/advice? What mods are worth doing? LeadFootCaliKiid Axial SCX-10 2 01-06-2014 03:51 PM
build tips and setup tips iwantoffroad Tamiya CR-01 7 12-04-2008 06:20 PM
back flip tips for ax-10 2004neonsrt4 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 03-16-2008 05:01 PM