Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Basic (inexpensive) Decent Sensored Motor/ESC ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #1

Default Basic (inexpensive) Decent Sensored Motor/ESC ?

Newbie here: Looking to get a Yeti kit and this will be my first "real" RC. I have a couple of ECX 1/18 trucks that my son and I mess around with but nothing of real quality.

Looking to mostly bash, but would still like sensored for more control at slower speeds. I am planning to run 3S and don't really need any better quality than the RTR motor/ESC. If it was sensored I would get that, due to the bang for your buck factor. Waterproof is preferred...although not sure what the limitations are with what I am looking for.

Recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.
dnadrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Basic (inexpensive) Decent Sensored Motor/ESC ?

You won't find a factory water proof system unless you bring out the big bucks. My recommendation is buy a used Mamba Max Pro ESC and a new Hobbywing XERun SD 3656. Thats what I did and I'm at about $150 for the system.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #3

Thanks. Hadn't considered used....how safe is that with an ESC? Do I need that much quality in the ESC. (Mamba Max Pro)

What kV SD3656 are you running? This looks like a good reasonable option.

Thanks again for the quick reply to the post....really appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have the 4000KV. Yes I wouldn't go with anything cheaper as far as an esc. Even hobbywing esc is up there in price.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I have the 4000KV. Yes I wouldn't go with anything cheaper as far as an esc. Even hobbywing esc is up there in price.
Okay....thanks for the advice.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I too use the MMP for its low end control. In my yeti I use a turnigy 1/8 2350kv motor.
Like the combo very much.
I have also used the hobbyking x car 120amp esc.
If you went with that esc and the turnigy motor you're in for less than $100.

You'll get a little less low end with the hobbyking, but its not bad.
Also get a bottle of conformal coating and coat your esc board and sensor board of motor.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Hobbywing SCT Pro combo with one of the 3656 motors, 3400kv since you are planning on 3S. The combo with the programming box is about $175 after coupons.

Hobbywing XERUN SCT COMBO (SCT-PRO Series) Fierce RC Solutions
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Hobbywing has a few reasonably priced combos and some are sensed and waterproof. I've never had any issues with their stuff either.

Quickrun-10, 60 amp esc, sensored and waterproof, 2-3s $52.99
Quickrun-3650 sensored 1700-3300kv, 2-3s $47.99

With free shipping, direct from Hobbywing North America (AKA Falcon Sekido)

HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN Brushless System

Last edited by HDMM; 07-31-2015 at 07:11 AM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Hobbywing has a few reasonably priced combos and some are sensed and waterproof. I've never had any issues with their stuff either.
You mean sensored OR waterproof. The unsensored stuff is generally waterproof, the sensored stuff is not.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:13 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
You mean sensored OR waterproof. The unsensored stuff is generally waterproof, the sensored stuff is not.
No, that's not what I mean.

Quickrun series is advertised as waterproof and offers a sensored ESC in the lineup.

Probably part of Hobbywing's new items, they have been revamping current items and adding new ones.

LoL, after reading through more thoroughly...they list the sensored model as "dust proof" for all weather conditions.....lol

But right on top of the page they list quickrun series as waterproof, guess they have some conflicting information.

Last edited by HDMM; 07-31-2015 at 07:18 AM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Don't forget to check out the traxxas ET-3S Sensored ESC (~$65). Its a toned down MMP. Same settings, just limited to 3s which you said you intend on using. Then I'd consider one of Holmes hobbies basic inrunner sport motors, 3300kv.

I have one of these ESCs matched with my tekin 412roc and it does great.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Here's another combo to consider LRP Spin Super ESC and K7 Vector 13.5t (3,050 kV). About $60.00 each.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #13

Thanks so much for all the responses...really appreciate the options and giving me somewhere to start to figure this all out.

I think the XERUN 3656 motor seems to be a pretty good motor for the price...not sure I want to spend as much as holmes hobbies motors are. I am considering the below combos and have a few questions.

XERUN 3656 motor with MMP ESC ($205)
XERUN 3656 motor with XERUN SCT PRO ESC (EXRUN SCT combo $175 with controller)
Quicrun 3656 motor with Quicrun 10-sensor ESC ($100)

Questions
1) How much better is the MMP ESC than the SCT PRO ESC...what differences will I see using 3S?
2) The quicrun motor/esc is half as much. The esc is only 60A. What differences will I see compared to the other two more expensive combos?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

quicrun is not sensored. There is a sensored and sensorless 3656 motor. XERUN is the sensored version. As for ESC I know nothing about the hobbywing. I chose the MMP because its castle and I've always had good luck with them and their customer service.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
quicrun is not sensored. There is a sensored and sensorless 3656 motor. XERUN is the sensored version. As for ESC I know nothing about the hobbywing. I chose the MMP because its castle and I've always had good luck with them and their customer service.
Got it. Thanks.

Looks like quicrun has the 3650 (2 pole, 3300kv) which is censored but the 3656 isn't.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post
1) How much better is the MMP ESC than the SCT PRO ESC...what differences will I see using 3S?
When driving, there will not be much difference.

The MMP is a little easier to program because the Castle Link software is more user friendly but it usually requires opening up the receiver box to get at the receiver plug, which is a hassle. The Hobbywing can be programmed entirely from the programming card with no computer (it plugs into the fan port for easy access) which great for making changes while in the field.

The MMP will be quicker to install since it comes with wires and bullet connectors for the motor already installed. You just have to solder on a battery connector and it is good to go into your truck. The HW, on the other hand, needs all of the wires soldered onto it along with connectors. The positive is the solder posts on the HW make replacing the wires possible if you damage them.

Castle probably has better customer service but I have never needed to use either Castle or HW's customer service.

Last edited by svt923; 08-03-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
When driving, there will not be much difference.

The MMP is a little easier to program because the Castle Link software is more user friendly but it usually requires opening up the receiver box to get at the receiver plug, which is a hassle. The Hobbywing can be programmed entirely from the programming card with no computer (it plugs into the fan port for easy access) which great for making changes while in the field.

The MMP will be quicker to install since it comes with wires and bullet connectors for the motor already installed. You just have to solder on a battery connector and it is good to go into your truck. The HW, on the other hand, needs all of the wires soldered onto it along with connectors. The positive is the solder posts on the HW make replacing the wires possible if you damage them.

Castle probably has better customer service but I have never needed to use either Castle or HW's customer service.
Thanks. I appreciate the detailed comparison.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I Still think the Traxxas ET-3S + a holmes hobbies motor is a viable and less expensive option.

ET-3S = $65 new and is a toned down/same internals as a MMP (limited to 3s which you dont plan on running higher than 3s, and still uses castles easy to use software)
Holmes Trailmaster BL 540 sport 2-pole sensored 3300kv = $65

which is $130 + shipping...much less than 2 of your 3 options. You get the ease of castle software + a HH sensored brushless motor.

Have run my ET-3S+Tekin roc 412 and my MMP+HH Revolver outrunner on 3s in two similar class 2 rigs and both perform great.

Just my $0.02
Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

You can put mmp software on a et3s. That's what I did then it's the same as the mmp.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
RCC Addict

That's true you can hack it to run MMP software too. You can then run 4s, haven't seen anyone do 6s. But if he's sticking to 3s, don't see a point as the software seems to be the same.

Basic (inexpensive) Decent Sensored Motor/ESC ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sensored motor and non sensored esc?? Turtlejon Electronics 1 09-19-2014 12:19 AM
Decent, relatively inexpensive beadlocks ? SoCal_80 Axial Wraith 18 05-25-2012 07:46 AM
Decent/Inexpensive [LCD] Micrometer? JeepinOR Tools, and Procedures 18 12-26-2009 12:48 PM
Sensored Motor and NON Sensored ESC. Timmahh Electronics 7 12-11-2008 09:21 PM