Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti vs Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Yeti vs Bomber

Hello all, I have a ?

Why would someone theoretically prefer the soon to be released bomber over the Yeti?

I had a Yeti and enjoyed it, but wanted something with a little less belly slap at times... however, I'd hate to lose the high speed handling of the Yeti.

What are your pros and cons of these rigs?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
cullen colapietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
SMW
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Yeti vs Bomber

The Yeti is one of my favorite rigs to drive but it is not really designed to be a crawler. The ifs do not let you get over rocks in a "crawling" speed without bottoming out. The ifs do however allow you to run faster over rocky bumps without losing steeering control. The new Bomber should allow much more crawling without bottoming out and let you do more rock racing over the smaller rocks . Have you ever tried running over a series of bumps ( whoop de dos ) with an ifs rig then trying the same thing at the same speed with a crawler. The crawler will get real squirrely real fast but the ifs rig will keep it holding its line. With the Bomber it should be a good combination of both. Or that is my take on it. I think the Bomber is going to be a fun rig to drive but i am not giving up my Yeti . They both have their own niche . I started out as a crawler but now also love to race fast too ( addiction comes in many forms ). Guess you convinced me...I need a Bomber too.
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullen colapietro View Post
Hello all, I have a ?

Why would someone theoretically prefer the soon to be released bomber over the Yeti?

I had a Yeti and enjoyed it, but wanted something with a little less belly slap at times... however, I'd hate to lose the high speed handling of the Yeti.

Mount a brushless esc motor combo in the bomber and tune suspension to handle high speeds then you'll get the speed you want.
I think the preferred reason is the straight axle in the front equals better steering.

Last edited by tapped-out; 11-21-2015 at 12:47 PM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

How so? The steering I mean?

Old 11-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The Bomber utilizes a skid which is much smaller than the belly pan of a Yeti which will make it a much better crawler.

There's plenty of guys with U4 rigs with solid front axles that will probably disagree that they can't be just as fast as a IFS rig.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How so? The steering I mean?

Unless I'm doing something wrong I got more steering from Wraith than my Yeti...
Maybe someone has a better more technical answer.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Unless I'm doing something wrong I got more steering from Wraith than my Yeti...
Maybe someone has a better more technical answer.
I think tapped-out is talking about "more steering" as in steering range. More steering range is better for crawling.

The Yeti will have better, more controlled steering at high speed over rough terrain, but the Bomber will have a nice mix of both and certainly be a better crawler.

I own an SCX10 and a Yeti, which both have their strong points. If you don't have an RC yet the Bomber would do a pretty good job in both fields, but the other cars are more specialized.

Last edited by Ahod39; 11-22-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Ahod39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hello all, I have a ?

Built a Wrexo, I go one and has smaller belly than the Yeti.

Also crawls better than the Yeti!
Breat 1.8T syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:52 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Bought a Yeti, not much rock around here. Must go fast

Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I think a better way to put this is that the yeti has great handling at speed on smooth"Ish" stuff but doesn't handle speed well on (big) rocks. Then the bomber can handle speed on the rocks but not on the smooth stuff. Of course both can be tuned and adjusted to work in either conditions, but that's how they come from the factory. If you watch the axial videos of both cars, you can see they have the yeti doing whoops and stuff while the bomber is bombing up what's could easily be a scale twin hammers course.
totallypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:18 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have a Yeti, Scx10, and an Ax10 deadbolt. They yeti rolls with a 2700 kv 4065 motor and is geared for 40 mph (a little too fast but great for smooth dirt and gravel). The scx10 has a 2900 kv 4 pole and hits 25ish (which is too fast). The Ax10 runs the MMX system with a 2200 kv and I run it on 2S to 4s with low gearing.

Let's be clear, none of these rigs are high speed wonders. Any other rig will smoke each of them on handling. The issue is that straight axles cause the rigs to flip over on high grip surfaces unlike an independent set up. The Yeti can and does handle rough terrain the best of the three at speeds, and it does so much better than a Twin Hammers. The scx10 is fun to watch at slower speeds as well as the AX10. The problem for the ax10 and scx10 is that the links and suspension setup do not handle jumps well because the force is applied into the chassis along the links instead of absorbed by the suspension if the rig is in a nose down position. The yeti does a better job but is by no means a good jumper. In sum, the high speed handling advantage of the Yeti is due to the IFS and the longer, wider and lower stance which hurts it's ability to crawl because it has a lower break over angle. My Yeti is set up to be too fast for its suspension and I like it that way. However, my MT4 handles rough terrain three times better and I can balance it between understeer and oversteer with the throttle and brakes. You can't so that with the Yeti or x10 designs.

If you want the Bomber it's advantage is a small skid, as I doubt the rear suspension design will add much in the handling department. My Yeti is fun but mother of God did I have to upgrade everything to make it robust enough to handle the 3s power of the Leopard 4065 motor with high speed gearing. The Ax10 is light and there isn't much suspension work that goes on since half of its weight is in the axles and wheels/tires. It looks amazing articulating and with the .725 hubs I run, it's very wide and stable. The Scx10 runs 2.2s, mud plates and .850 extensions. I use Kings 110 mm with a lift kit and run 40% droop. That set up has pretty bad torque twist which the Yeti manages much better and it's still tippy because of the much narrower stance than the Yeti or Ax10.

Final takeaway: the Scx10 and Ax10 look odd at speeds and handle poorly. The Yeti is the best of the three but is not great. Locked diffs and high speeds don't work well together and your Bomber would be compromised unless you also opened the front diff and added 100k or 500k oil to make it a limited slip.

MT4 and Savage will murder these rigs in any measurement of handling, and are much faster and more reliable. If you just want speed, get a SCT or truggy.

Last edited by MeanTT; 11-27-2015 at 12:30 AM.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:37 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Go watch videos of Ultra 4 rigs...... The Bomber is a scaled down Rock Racer and as such, handles like one. No they do not rail corners like SC rigs and they are not monster trucks. If you buy one to make fast lap times on an SC track or huck off a house,you bought the wrong rig.

Where the Yeti flounders in technical crawling, the Bomber will handle it with finesse. With that said however, the suspension on the bomber will need to be tuned to get the most out of it, especially in a racing environment. Once people get them in their hands and tune them, I see them as a genuine threat to regular wraiths in U4, UAR etc.

Oh yea....the solid axle rigs that race U4 are not some jacked up mud truck, the are purpose built and absolutely rip.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
MT4 and Savage will murder these rigs in any measurement of handling, and are much faster and more reliable. If you just want speed, get a SCT or truggy.
My 1/8th buggies would make all those their bit*h and even more reliable... Whats your point?

OP, Iwould get the bomber. Lik you we have fun with our yeti's and they're tone of fun to drive but just dont quite fit the bill for me. My U4 rigs are just cool looking and when setup properly handle fantastic for their purpose. Get the bomber and check out some U4 threads for setup tips. I think the bomber is just more scale personally and that would make my decision.

Last edited by Joshs4x4toyz; 11-27-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
My 1/8th buggies would make all those their bit*h and even more reliable... Whats your point?
I will number my points so you can better understand:

1. Independent suspension and unlocked diffs are better for high speed handling.
2. The trailing arms of the Bomber will not drastically improve high speed handling and the Yeti will handle much better; see point #1.
3. Axial rigs are generally suited for slow to moderate speeds. If someone wants a true high speed rig, they should look elsewhere toward a rig with independent suspension and limited slip diffs.

Purchasing a Bomber because it's different or more scale is a 100% valid reason to purchase, but let's not blow magical unicorn dust on this new product and pretend that it is something it isn't.

Last edited by MeanTT; 11-27-2015 at 12:14 PM.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #15

Sounds like YOU convinced you to buy the RR10. Did you buy it? If so how is it compared to your Yeti?
Rybroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

....Or you can have the best of both worlds with an IFS Bomber. It's been said before, this is what the Yeti should have been.
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #17

I have both I like them both.
Silver2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I have the Yeti RR, Yeti TT, Wraith PS and the Bomber!! You NEED them all!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fookison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:21 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I love my Yeti for trailing in woods, mud and dirt! Not so much for rock crawling though.

Sent from my iPhone
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
....Or you can have the best of both worlds with an IFS Bomber. It's been said before, this is what the Yeti should have been.

This is badass! I like my yeti but this pretty dang awesome. More clearance than my yeti too!
VenomousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti vs Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultra 4 bomber tuner 2.2 Scale Rigs 104 11-03-2014 11:21 PM
Ben Napier Bomber northkona Scale Videos! 0 08-09-2014 05:15 PM
Blue Bomber '06 P71 OSRC 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 0 09-25-2013 09:44 AM
Backwoods Bomber Duuuuuuuude 1.9 Scale Rigs 153 06-11-2012 08:41 AM