RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Yeti (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti/)
-   -   Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti/574516-axial-1-18-yeti-yeti-score.html)

Poprivet 01-10-2017 06:07 PM

Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_K (Post 5647475)
No the pin is a tight fit once the outer coller on the side gears. No trouble drilling them but you can't do it by hand. Just mill a small flat, peck it with the center drill and then drill it with a 5/64" or #47 bit. I still need to find some permanent bearings to use, right now I just have some small traxxas bearings pressed in the stock ones. Forgot to measure the thickness so if anybody knows what it is I'd like to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thank you for that bit size.
The technique I get. I was just afraid drilling the hardened steel would smoke a drill bit. I will get 2 or 3 just in case.

84yoda 01-10-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavaheadache (Post 5647934)

I'm using the 10t without issue. What seems to be your trouble? Like you, I'm also not a fan of the set screw. Unnecessarily small.

Really? I couldn't get solid gear mesh.

Lavaheadache 01-10-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5647963)
Really? I couldn't get solid gear mesh.

I'm a gear mesh nazi and had no issue obtaining that necessary slightest little wiggle between each tooth. I noticed that it was easier one way over the other, meaning that I had the pinion on the "top" part of the spur versus the bottom. I think that was the orientation I was using. I can't remember exactly. Too many cars, too many unique situations. Just got home with a new Kraton that I'm about to slap a mamba monster x setup in and bad lands max 38's. Hopefully this will tide me over till I get new rear axles for the Jr.

Chris_K 01-10-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poprivet (Post 5647957)
Thank you for that bit size.
The technique I get. I was just afraid drilling the hardened steel would smoke a drill bit. I will get 2 or 3 just in case.

It's only case hardened so it's not that bad. Just drill at no more than about 400 rpm or so and make sure to center drill first so it doesn't walk. The bearings I use are 5x8 traxxas bearings pressed into the factory ones. Right now I'm using a large diameter shim to prevent it from coming back out. The real bearings needed I haven't found yet. They should be 5x12x3.5mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

monkeyracer 01-10-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyracer (Post 5639885)
Non Titanium parts for those wanting the lower priced option:

Associated 21343
Associated 21387

Just ordered both part numbers above from Tower Hobbies for $10.87 including shipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5643117)
Good tips, I usually drill a small hole in all those type ball ends before installing so that I can fit a hex driver through and remove/install the ball ends without popping the cups on and off. "thumbsup"

The above ball ends are what come with the titanium set, and have the hole already in them. No drilling needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colbynobo (Post 5647761)
Monkeyracer, since you also live in Colorado/Crawlerado and thus have to deal with the exact same weather, I'm curious as to whether you've also experienced cold-related steering issues with your original and upgraded electronics? I started off running a pack last night in my garage and the steering was fine, then I ran out into the driveway where it was 40 degrees and raining - after a few minutes the steering started to get stiff again. I then went down into my basement where everything returned to normal. The other difference here is that the basement floor is polished concrete so there's not a lot of traction and load on the tires when they're turning.

I've not run it when it is super cold yet, mostly been too busy for work. Flying out for a trip this week, and another next week. Add a 7 month old son, the JC Auto Design orders, and life in general, and RC fun only gets a minute or two here or there.

I haven't typically seen issues with the servo on larger rigs doing that. We run competitions all the time outside in really cold temperatures, and that's not common. For the smaller stuff though, I don't know. It is more likely the plastic tie-rods losing some flexibility, and not pivoting on the ball as easily. Try a small dab of grease in the cup, and see if that helps.

colbynobo 01-10-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyracer (Post 5648062)
I haven't typically seen issues with the servo on larger rigs doing that. We run competitions all the time outside in really cold temperatures, and that's not common. For the smaller stuff though, I don't know. It is more likely the plastic tie-rods losing some flexibility, and not pivoting on the ball as easily. Try a small dab of grease in the cup, and see if that helps.

It was 50 degrees here in Boulder today and the steering worked okay when I ran it during lunchtime in the wooded section behind my house. Well, it ran well until I hit rock or branch buried in the leaves. Killed my 5 day old Savox. I'll have to resume in a few days when the Hitec comes in. I guess the woods are a bit too rough for the Yeti Jr. The servos in my SCX10ii and Bomber haven't had any issues with the cold temperatures.

monkeyracer 01-11-2017 01:16 PM

I think one way we can get a sub-forum is to have some new threads started, rather than keeping everything tangled up in this thread. (And it will help be able to find information easier too...)

I started two other threads just now about the servo and esc/rx issues and replacements. Feel free to post in those threads more information on the subject.

Also, start a new thread for your rig, build thread, etc. It will need to be something that complies with the "tech section" rules, but with enough new threads, the forum mods will have no choice but to start a new section to keep this section about the 1/10 Yetis.

"thumbsup"

84yoda 01-11-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavaheadache (Post 5647975)
I'm a gear mesh nazi and had no issue obtaining that necessary slightest little wiggle between each tooth. I noticed that it was easier one way over the other, meaning that I had the pinion on the "top" part of the spur versus the bottom. I think that was the orientation I was using. I can't remember exactly.

Ya I didn't understand why I couldn't get it to work since stock comes with 10t, so the losi 10t pinion should work. Guess I'll give it anoher try.

I saw at my lhs they had losi single pinions (mini) and those had a bigger pinion screw. Amain shows 10, 12, 14, 16t choices:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-pi...FQYPaQodCIkBMQ

Robinson also sells 2mm/.5 mod from 12t-23t and uses 5-40 pinion screw. Will .5 mod work? Seems like people run them on there mini-8's with 48p spur.

Edit: got the losi 10t pinion in.

Edit #2: 10t pinion with tiny pinion screw backed off within a few throttle pulls so I picked up losb1861 10t for 2mm shaft, pinion screw is M3x3mm 1.5mm head. Much better.

magic_yeti 01-13-2017 02:52 PM

i just looking around planning parts i can put in after stock setup, if its available here in germany/europe. and i just found this little motor.
would this motor fit and would it be appropriate for the little yeti?
TrackStar 380 Sensorless Brushless Motor 3200KV

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tracksta...or-3200kv.html

Motor KV: 3200 Max Current: 20A Max Power: 154W
Recommended ESC: 45A Max Voltage: 11.1V / 3S Lipoly
Case Length: 37mm Case Dia: 28mm Bolt Hole Spacing: 16mm and 19mm Shaft Dia: 3.17mm Total Length: 51.5mm Weight: 86g

cause of the bigger shaft it would also solve the pinion problem :mrgreen:

Exiwolfman 01-13-2017 08:09 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8a41b05c98.jpg

Broke my front axle is the part number correct from axial
AX31502
Since there is no pic of the part , it states that it is universal joint axle set 48 mm 2 pcs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Poprivet 01-13-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exiwolfman (Post 5649454)

AX31502
Since there is no pic of the part , it states that it is universal joint axle set 48 mm 2 pcs

That is the right part #

Lavaheadache 01-13-2017 10:17 PM

Axial Yeti JR. Front CVD Universdal Shafts A-Arms Suspension 1/18 Scale Buggy | eBay

Good deal for you I think

Exiwolfman 01-13-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavaheadache (Post 5649513)

Good find since axial want 33$ plus shipping just for axels.
Ty

Lavaheadache 01-13-2017 10:42 PM

You're welcome!!!

mikemcE 01-14-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exiwolfman (Post 5649454)

AX31502

Interesting, same failure on the 1/10 yeti.... I went to titanium shafts
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...44de00eea6.jpg

Hang up and Drive

T_Tank 01-14-2017 03:02 PM

so I know its a odd question but comparing another 1/18 rc how does the yeti jr compare to the losi mini LST? and how strong are those plastic out drives on the diffs cause that was the biggest issue with the mini LST was nuking the inside of the diffs.

SCREAMER 01-14-2017 08:26 PM

I've been hammering on mine for a couple weeks now, stock motor on 2s, and after countless tumbles, crashes, cartwheels, flips, you name it, nothing has broken or even become sloppy. I'm impressed with its durability so far. Really, I thought for sure I would've broken something by now. I'm still loving my electronics choices too. Hobbywing Quicrun 1080, RTR Bomber RX/TX, and Hitec HS-85mg. I really really want a rear locker for this truck. It gets stuck on everything.

Exiwolfman 01-14-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCREAMER (Post 5649875)
I've been hammering on mine for a couple weeks now, stock motor on 2s, and after countless tumbles, crashes, cartwheels, flips, you name it, nothing has broken or even become sloppy. I'm impressed with its durability so far. Really, I thought for sure I would've broken something by now. I'm still loving my electronics choices too. Hobbywing Quicrun 1080, RTR Bomber RX/TX, and Hitec HS-85mg. I really really want a rear locker for this truck. It gets stuck on everything.

Well mine broke from little roll over but I was running in the cold Sub zero temperature plus I have full size servo with stock motor and 1060 ESC.
Just feels like the truck is hit and miss ...Mine lasted five min on original servo and now this , it's fun yes but definitely not as durable as it should for the price.
Got new parts on order from eBay and new servo from axial under warranty.
Once fixed it may end up on eBay cos as much fun as it is it's not worth enuf at least to me and the braking parts that may come next.
Just my opinion.

T_Tank 01-14-2017 10:20 PM

Well the mini LST wasn't known for its servo's either though I've been able to crash it head first into a curb an only bend a front dog bone! But my biggest concern is drive line how well the out drive ends of the diffs hold up and the gears they attach to just seams like they'd strip teeth off. Are the satellite gears in the diff assembly metal or plastic like the outer end gears?

TownsendTdi 01-15-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_Tank (Post 5649907)
Well the mini LST wasn't known for its servo's either though I've been able to crash it head first into a curb an only bend a front dog bone! But my biggest concern is drive line how well the out drive ends of the diffs hold up and the gears they attach to just seams like they'd strip teeth off. Are the satellite gears in the diff assembly metal or plastic like the outer end gears?

The satellite gears are plastic. I have been beating on mine for a while now as well with no broken parts so far.

Found a nice little natural jump:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UvNThs01Evc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

monkeyracer 01-15-2017 07:03 PM

The Mini LST was nothing compared to these. The diff gears would disintegrate if you looked at them wrong. The yeti jr gears seem to have been holding up to some massive abuse. The typical breakage is somewhere else when it breaks.

Even with an extended chassis and full size servo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/S5004341.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/S5004339.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/S5004338.jpg

The diffs were super weak. I ended up locking them, but then it loses the function of being a go-fast mini. (And other things started breaking, even on stock power.) (Post for those interested in it)

Compared to the Mini LST, the Yeti is awesome.

84yoda 01-15-2017 07:47 PM

Monkey - how's the locker and shafts coming along?

monkeyracer 01-15-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5650355)
Monkey - how's the locker and shafts coming along?

Still waiting on the metal prototypes to come in.

colbynobo 01-15-2017 11:29 PM

I should have tried to address my tight steering before installing a second, upgraded servo. The Hitec 5085 lasted 7 minutes of doing donuts on my flat, slick basement floor. I've never burned through a $40 part so fast in my RC history. I took apart the front end and noticed there's a lot of drag in the steering rack - specifically where the steering posts (AX31512) rotate on the 2x20mm pins (AX31497). I tried to free it up with a few handtools, but it didn't make much of a difference. The next step might be to try use a drill to open up the steering posts a bit. Unless someone else has a better recommendation on how to free up the steering?

This is the last straw. If there's no easy solution for the steering issue I'm either going to sell this thing or attach one end to my Axial Bomber and the other end to my SCX10 ii and let them tear it in two. :twisted:

SCREAMER 01-16-2017 12:59 AM

I had my servo off a couple times when swapping the stock for the 65 and then the 65 for the 85. I would play with the steering just to get an idea for geometry and just to mess around and I never noticed it being tight at all. In fact it was very smooth and free turning. I would fully compress one side and steer lock to lock then compress the other side then both. You know, just fooling with it. I think there may be something catching on yours. Mine was drag free from day one. I know because day one, I toasted the stock servo and yanked it immediately.

monkeyracer 01-16-2017 06:30 AM

Same here. Mine was/is drag free. My guess is something is either tightened too tight, or something is not made correctly. I would recommend contacting Axial's customer service line to see if they can pinpoint the issue. The chances are they will help send the replacement parts. Also, the servo you toasted should be under warranty if it is brand new, so you should be able to get it replaced.

RCCountryGirl 01-16-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Wrangler (Post 5606172)
My son received one from his grandparents today. Steering will not work. It makes a buzzing/crackling sound bit will not move. :x

Ours sounds like it is connecting but when you turn on the controller the light just blinks. We have out new batteries in the controller but still does the same thing.

TrilloThrillo110 01-18-2017 01:07 AM

Got back from holiday with the Jr. on its last legs. Pleased with how well it's lasted tho, especially considering everyone else's issues. The servo was cutting out when it got too cold and the motor got full of gravel and rubbish. Washed the motor out (stripping 3 1.5mm hex head doing so cause of the stupid ball end hex keys - only ones I could find for sale in a small town on New Years Day!!!). Great way to introduce my mate to RCs. Couldn't believe the punishment it handles! However on like the 10th battery pack or so I managed to ram it real hard into a rabbit hole, shattering both front diff bearings! Kept driving tho until the servo completely stripped on the last day! Now completely torn down awaiting better bearings, new servo, Tx and Rx, ESC and battery. Also looking forward to a new locked 1 piece diff (hint hint). Tires also come unglued so with upgrade to metal beadlocks to add unsprung weight. Looking at the new RC4WD TRO wheels in1.7 for a bit of tire stretch. Currently rebuilding the shocks with Axial Supersoft springs and currently 20w oil (will move to 10w once I get a bottle).

But all in all.... VERY PLEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im2tall 01-20-2017 09:22 AM

I have the TT version,I had a 2430 7200kv with an 11t pinion,the temps were perfect, but it cogged like crazy.I was forced to order a 2435 4800kv,atleast I'll be able to go up and down on the pinion now! I also use a set of rc4wd 12mm wideners,and I have some LaTrax wheels coming,I also have some mini rival tires brand new collecting dust, to give some more width to the truck, it flips too easy stock,and I also have a new body, Im keeping a secret until,Im ready to post pics! One more thing,I believe the Traxxas Latrax differentials look identical,and the LaTrax steering assembly has my attention,looks real close.This may turn out real good,also just to keep you guys busy,I'll give you something to keep you occupied until parts,and aftermarket support catches.,there actually are cvd's that fit the truck,which allows the use of a hex pin (I'll reveal that at some point:lmao:) Hope everyone is enjoying their rigs,I am,and I haven even began to do what I call upgrading"thumbsup"

SCREAMER 01-20-2017 10:19 AM

Thank for that info? ^^^

colbynobo 01-20-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by im2tall (Post 5653036)
I have the TT version,I had a 2430 7200kv with an 11t pinion,the temps were perfect, but it cogged like crazy.I was forced to order a 2435 4800kv,atleast I'll be able to go up and down on the pinion now! I also use a set of rc4wd 12mm wideners,and I have some LaTrax wheels coming,I also have some mini rival tires brand new collecting dust, to give some more width to the truck, it flips too easy stock,and I also have a new body, Im keeping a secret until,Im ready to post pics! One more thing,I believe the Traxxas Latrax differentials look identical,and the LaTrax steering assembly has my attention,looks real close.This may turn out real good,also just to keep you guys busy,I'll give you something to keep you occupied until parts,and aftermarket support catches.,there actually are cvd's that fit the truck,which allows the use of a hex pin (I'll reveal that at some point:lmao:) Hope everyone is enjoying their rigs,I am,and I haven even began to do what I call upgrading"thumbsup"

I hope your suspicions about the Latrax differentials and steering might be true. I'll have to put my Rally next to my TT and make the comparison. After upgrading to ball bearings, I love my Rally. After killing the 3rd steering servo in my TT, I hate it. I'm going to try one more thing with the steering. If that doesn't work then I'll have to move on. It's encouraging to see that others are having positive experiences. I haven't even been able to put more than 8 battery packs through it - even after all of the electronics have been updated.

Cometcyclonemk 01-20-2017 02:13 PM

For anyone looking to squeeze the biggest 3S in the battery tray... This just barely fits (you have to move the battery door to the top notch). 2200mAh!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Running the stock motor/gears (SCORE) on 3S - it has way more go than reasonable. Have a heatsink on the way to hopefully keep the motor temps down, otherwise seems to handle it fine!

It might be just my imagination, but it actually feels less prone to traction roll - might be riding lower on account of the weight.

iholmes 01-20-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cometcyclonemk (Post 5653165)
For anyone looking to squeeze the biggest 3S in the battery tray... This just barely fits (you have to move the battery door to the top notch). 2200mAh!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Running the stock motor/gears (SCORE) on 3S - it has way more go than reasonable. Have a heatsink on the way to hopefully keep the motor temps down, otherwise seems to handle it fine!

It might be just my imagination, but it actually feels less prone to traction roll - might be riding lower on account of the weight.

Have you had to replace your servo after switches to lips and 3s?

Cometcyclonemk 01-20-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iholmes (Post 5653169)
Have you had to replace your servo after switches to lips and 3s?

Yes, all electronics were replaced (spektrum servo, hobbywing esc, radiolink rx).

Exiwolfman 01-25-2017 09:49 PM

Axial Yeti jr basically a roller but will include stock radio and ESC original servo broke also extra hole drilled out to run full size servo but any micro will fit ...Also stock battery and box .

Great condition with extra front suspension arms and one CVD ,just replaced right one .
Awesome little truck and not easy to come by .

Looking for trades mainly electric crawler but open to other electronic cars or trucks .

Will also consider best reasonable offer.

Tamiya, axial , Traxxas , HPI , ofna, Redcat

Canada Collingwood Ontario area so if trades it would have to be local otherwise PayPal ... Shipping not included.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4c3ea5f5fd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...82556c6457.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...89ba3aad7f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...79a26e0014.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7b6e316ccb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f3516038b0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c74283fc55.jpg

Tgreer 01-28-2017 08:46 AM

The CBERCFAB goods are almost ready! Got mine all painted up!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...481aa7fa22.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9533066155.jpg

abailey21 01-28-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgreer (Post 5657541)

I want this right meow!

TrilloThrillo110 01-28-2017 01:24 PM

Is that notch in the sides of the battery plate so you can run a battery longways?

84yoda 01-28-2017 01:46 PM

Yup.

Tgreer 01-28-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrilloThrillo110 (Post 5657662)
Is that notch in the sides of the battery plate so you can run a battery longways?

Absolutely, the plate is design to have as many options as possible. Weight is important on faster rigs. Depending on where it's located will play a large effect on how it handles corners, jumps, etc. The idea of the plate was for people to move the location of their battery to a sweet spot on their rig for the most optimal weight balance"thumbsup"