Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Buying yeti advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Buying yeti advice?

I been wanting a new rc and wanted to try a yeti/rock rey/or twin hammers. "Probably pick up a TH regardless at some point,They just look too awesome!"
But I been going back and forth,Overall I think I like the rock rey better as far as looks go,But I really like the option of putting a 2sp in the yeti. So between the 2sp and I think I could get parts easier for the yeti,I think I'll try a yeti.

So how many people actually put 2sp in a yeti? Im sure it helps with low speed tough terrainand is functional but overall is it really needed,or is it more of a because I can cool thing to do?

I plan on just bashing around the yard and local parks with the yeti and maybe take it out crawling with some wraith guys every so often.

So I seen one built from a kit version,with some savox HV servo and a hobbywing xr8 esc and a 3660kv sensored motor,And basic radio. pretty much never been used for $450,,good set up and price?

Or am I better off just finding a cheaper used one and getting another motor/esc combo? Or maybe just go rock rey? Thanks!
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Buying yeti advice?

I'd try for used, especially is you know your way around rc. I'd try and get a kit version as it has better equipment, but if you plan on lots of upgrades makes sense to get the rtr. I'd even try and get a roller, then pick up a good used sensored esc and motor, radio gear and servo. I have a yeti and I don't have two speed, I don't think it's needed. But it is cool. You will need a 3rd channel to use it too. If you buy right, I think you could save 50% going used. But I like buying used...
My 2 cents

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

This hobbywing xr8 and 3660 motor combo a good choice? The guy doesnt want to come down much,,so this will be RTR with a 3s. yeti kit/xr8-3660 sensored motor/savox 7.4 servo/program card for esc and a basic 2ch remote. My price shipped $470.
Looks like the motor combos run about $200,probably $75 servo,,and kits can be had for about $315. So I guess it would save some money to buy his set up,But only save around $100-$175. I was looking for a better deal,but this stuff is all new and just put together,so just looking for some advice,,good deal,,or I can build better for my $470?
Old 05-31-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It's hard for me to say as I work in Aussie dollars and only know what is good value locally... I'd hit up ebay and have a look at what is on offer, do some research and you should be all good. Also check the classifieds on here

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

It's a pretty 'meh' price. If it was a good deal, it would be sold already. Are there any other upgrades or is the rest of it all stock kit stuff?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
poohsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

yea,,Just a yeti built from the kit,and those components I mentioned. Other than the better parts that come in the kit,Nothing. He says the car was built and tested and put up for sale,,and pics show that. But still was more than I would like to pay,,,but then again I couldnt build that truck for under $470. So just wondering...
Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default Buying yeti advice?

I also own a Yeti and mostly bash around, so haven’t had a need or want for 2 speed. I just bought another one for my son. It was a RTR stock, ran twice(pics of proof), and I paid $275. I found it in the classifieds. Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:07 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I guess it comes down to,,Is the hobbywing xr8 sct and a 3660 sensored motor a sought after,and good choice for the yeti? Im paying a pretty good cost,,Not a bad deal "If I wanted those exact components" but Not a Great deal either. So if these are good items that most would put in their yeti anyway,I'll do it,,if most think these are cheaper parts and not worth the cost,let me know. There are a tiny few extras like a light kit installed if that adds to the value much?
Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

you can do much better than that price in my opinion. Its not a bad motor/esc combo, but far from the best too. Shop around a little. I got my yeti for 150 as a used RTR. It had upgrade rc4wd centered rear axle and some metal upgrades in the steering, as well as proline shocks front and rear. Now, I got a smoking deal, I'm aware of that, but your deal isn't a deal at all.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Don't buy the Yeti. That's my best advice.

If you want a Yeti check out the Losi Rock Rey.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
RCC Addict

i love my little monster i use the 2 speed option cause i want to crawl (as good as a yeti can) and bash around with it.started with a sensorless system it was a great help. even with the new senored setup i love the 2 speed option.
if the hobbywing setup is worth the price no idea, never have it but some here use it in their yeti's.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I've got a hobbywing sc8 and a 1/8th castle knockoff motor. That combo is $90 and with a 2 speed on 3s, it's tremendous fun.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I looked briefly at the TH, but the larger yeti swayed me as being more capable in the trails and on the rocks.

As a fan of older losi products, I also looked at the (then new) losi baja rey, but its lack of versatility and new-product-teething issues (which eventually applied to the rock rey) steered me back to the yeti. Reliability issues aside, the rock rey's lower centre of gravity and wider chassis produce notably better handling than the yeti... but if speed and handling is what you are looking for, there are better alternatives. The lack of the 2-speed option ultimately made my decision, for how I planned to use the rig.

I think the 3660kv motor is on the high side for the relatively heavy yeti, but should work if you don't add too much weight and watch your gearing. This is where the 2-speed option shines, taking the heat out of the esc and motor during low speed use on the rocks and trails.

I have also combined the 2-speed with the aux wire function of the Castle Mamba X esc, so that the drag brake engages when in low gear, and is off in high gear. This functionality impressed me far more than the switch to a sensored esc-motor combo.

The yeti is not for everyone. If you buy with the impression it should perform like an aarma stunt truck, an 8th scale buggy, or (in the case of the SCORE) a short course truck, you'll be disappointed. But for its versatility I have been very happy with it.

Although top-heavy when compared to the yeti, have you looked at the bomber?

Last edited by DavidH; 06-01-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: titpo
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Concur with David.

-Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
This hobbywing xr8 and 3660 motor combo a good choice? The guy doesnt want to come down much,,so this will be RTR with a 3s. yeti kit/xr8-3660 sensored motor/savox 7.4 servo/program card for esc and a basic 2ch remote. My price shipped $470.
Looks like the motor combos run about $200,probably $75 servo,,and kits can be had for about $315. So I guess it would save some money to buy his set up,But only save around $100-$175. I was looking for a better deal,but this stuff is all new and just put together,so just looking for some advice,,good deal,,or I can build better for my $470?
Which servo, exactly? Savox makes "HV" servos that won't perform well or last long in the nose-heavy yeti.

If the radio is only 2 channel you will be replacing it soon for the 2-speed.

The esc and motor are okay but not what I would call a good choice for kv rating and features.

Like the RTR yeti, it might be a workable starting point for you, but I have learned that to do things right usually calls for a bit more money.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:20 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well we came to a deal..Still more than I wanted to pay but getting some odds and ends extras and a 3s 5000mah pack. I agree cant say I got a deal..Im just hoping that this is better than the rtr version with its current components? I see some extras on it like the rear driveshaft and some aluminum link mounts that I dont think you get in the kit. So I guess Im looking it as I got this kit version with extras rtr for just under what a standard yeti rtr costs. This is what I got..I agree about not a deal, but what do you think? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323265116390
Old 06-02-2018, 02:38 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Looks like a nice truck
Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Looks like it's got one of those tbone skidplates, too. It looks like it was hardly driven if at all. You didn't do bad. Enjoy it!

Old 06-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I think you should take it out and enjoy it. The more you use it, the less it will matter what you paid for it. Have fun.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

My advice:
1.get yeti.
2.keep it stock.
3.get bolt and bearing kit.
Yeti guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Buying yeti advice? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Yeti Xl Advice. Learo2000GT Axial Yeti XL 41 08-12-2015 10:16 PM
Advice on buying Deckard Axial Yeti XL 0 07-02-2015 09:29 AM
advice for anyone buying the spawn krazikev Axial Wraith 9 01-04-2015 10:01 AM
need advice on buying a moa crawler w. cost crawler General Crawlers 12 12-31-2013 01:29 AM
Need advice, buying new remote SunShine Electronics 2 09-21-2012 02:04 PM