Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Wide Yeti wheel options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #1

Default Wide Yeti wheel options

For my Yeti kit build, I'm leaning toward Rock Beast XOR tires. I like the idea of a wide tire on the Yeti. One thing I'm unsure of is what wheels to put those tires on. I feel like a wide tire like that should have a wide wheel, but I'm also concerned about having too much unsprung weight. There aren't a ton of plastic beadlock options out there, and none of them seem to come in wide widths. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm leaning toward the 35mm Chanquish wheels. For those of you with aluminum wheels on your Yetis, have you noticed any handling issues from the weight?

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 07-17-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Wide Yeti wheel options

I run aluminum wheels. I never noticed a problem. It had plenty of power even stock to pull the front up or flip it on a turn at full tilt

Sent from my SM-J727R4 using Tapatalk
Dan_in_real_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I’m running GearHead beadlocks on mine, Aluminum and delrin .

http://www.gearheadrc.com/22wheels.htm

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Those 2.2" GearHead EZ-Loc wheels come in various styles and all-Delrin / half-Delrin, half-aluminum / or all aluminum, and list a width of 1.54" (39.4mm)

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...arch=%20EZ-Loc

Also, if you are willing to run glue-ons, Crawler Innovations has a 1.5" wide SLW-hub compatible Double Deuce 6 Bolt 2.2 Crawler Wheel for very little money (around $12 a pair)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/crawler...r-5004/p451164

"Crawler Innovations is happy to bring another new product to the RC Crawling market. The 6 Bolt Performance Wheel is a glue on wheel with a 2.2" bead size, is 1.50" wide, and is designed to be used with Vanquish Products SLW hubs. The Axial Trail Ready plastic hubs also fit these wheels for the weight conscious comp crawler. 12 Stainless Steel Button Head hardware included. The is the lightest weight 2.2 competition wheel / rim on the market. These wheels really shine in the U4RC genre of rc racing. The plastic combined with the aluminum hex create a basher and racer friendly combo. The plastic wheel will flex on hard impacts while the aluminum hex prevents stripping."
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_real_life View Post
I run aluminum wheels. I never noticed a problem. It had plenty of power even stock to pull the front up or flip it on a turn at full tilt

Sent from my SM-J727R4 using Tapatalk
I'm not worried about wheel weight impacting things like traction rolling or wheelies. I'm more worried about how well the vehicle can keep the tires planted over bumps and chop at medium & higher speeds. Adding unsprung weight is great in a crawler, but in something that needs to react to bumps, it's not generally a good thing.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Those 2.2" GearHead EZ-Loc wheels come in various styles and all-Delrin / half-Delrin, half-aluminum / or all aluminum, and list a width of 1.54" (39.4mm)

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...arch=%20EZ-Loc

Also, if you are willing to run glue-ons, Crawler Innovations has a 1.5" wide SLW-hub compatible Double Deuce 6 Bolt 2.2 Crawler Wheel for very little money (around $12 a pair)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/crawler...r-5004/p451164

"Crawler Innovations is happy to bring another new product to the RC Crawling market. The 6 Bolt Performance Wheel is a glue on wheel with a 2.2" bead size, is 1.50" wide, and is designed to be used with Vanquish Products SLW hubs. The Axial Trail Ready plastic hubs also fit these wheels for the weight conscious comp crawler. 12 Stainless Steel Button Head hardware included. The is the lightest weight 2.2 competition wheel / rim on the market. These wheels really shine in the U4RC genre of rc racing. The plastic combined with the aluminum hex create a basher and racer friendly combo. The plastic wheel will flex on hard impacts while the aluminum hex prevents stripping."
Thanks. Some of that Gearhead stuff looks nice if I can manage to cough up the dough. The CI glue-ons aren't really something that I'm as keen about. If I'm willing to do glue-on wheels, there's a good assortment of plastic 2.2 stadium truck & buggy wheels to choose from. I really want to stick with beadlocks, at least until I find a tire & foam combo that I'm happy enough with to make permanent.

Wide Yeti wheel options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SSD Wide Axle Kit for Yeti SSD Axial Yeti 28 02-19-2017 08:17 PM
Locked Up RC - New 2.2 wheel options with wheel lug patterns Locked Up Locked Up RC 4 07-23-2012 07:00 PM
how wide of a wheel track......... bob1961 General Crawlers 6 11-04-2008 09:11 PM