Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > California

Notices

Thread: Any Fresno Guys out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #301

Default Re: Any Fresno Guys out there?

hey DIESEL ,welcome
me and my son are the goobs w/ the squaw property....you can see some stuff on facebook : squaw valley rc park
i think most here have a lil course in the backyard, plans myself for one in the visalia house yard..lol.........pop in here , we usually have some small get togethers thur-sundays......

josh
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #302

Thank you! Awh well unlike every teen in the world I don't have a facebook. Could you explain what you have on the land? I love rocks and hill climbs even though my night crawler goes half a mile per hour. I'd love to come out! I finally got a job now I have gas so I can drive out! I wanna go out when there is a big group. It would be so awesome to see that many scale rigs! I have a micro losi also but it sat and the tires literally disintegrated, except for one. Haha but tires for that are only 8$ for two. It would be cool to have a mod day to, or clean up/ regrease. I only have one friend that has a rc crawler. He has the crawler king. When together they are completely different trucks. I don't like how the CK goes in neutral when stopped.
Dieselsuperswamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #303

Diesel, I have the Night Crawler as well, several mods with the helpful advice of the guys here. I replaced all of the 4-links with threaded rod encased in brass tubing, a new high torque servo since I run no foams and new threaded barrel shocks. I took off my lights long ago and noticed right away that the battery lasted about 5 minutes longer. Right now for me I'm having an ongoing debate about turning it into a scaler (cheaper) or buying a Trail Honcho (more expensive) and building it up. The NC is extremely capable but it is more of a comp crawler than a scaler. Maybe you and I can develop a new class; the comp scaler!

Drama continues with my bonus and money for my June 1st decision. Found out today due to income and property I now have to pay for my own Medi-Care to the tune of $100 a month, unfortunately if also cuts my Social Security check for June 1st in half, meaning I'll have to make up the difference from my bonus. Not really so much of a problem, I can still afford the Trail Honcho RTR, just not the upgrades I was going to get at the same time. It would be the end of June (4 weeks later) before I could get about half the upgrades I was planning. The flip side of the coin is that I can afford to get the necessary things to turn the Night Crawler into a decent 1.9 scaler and at the end of June I could still get the box-stock Honcho or, as my wife is suggesting, get extra stuff like wheels and tires, batteries and tools. When I had the Bronco body on the NC it worked OK, got hung up on the rocks here and there but I'm certain the Honcho would have the same problem. So right now it's essentially a coin toss on what to do.
Pete McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #304

Pete, I'm glad someone else bought one!! Haha ok so to be honest my goal would be to eventually make a new ladder frame and leaf spring the NC axles. And use electronics from it. But for now I'm very glad with how my scaler is coming out. Snorkel today. Extinguisher later, and I'm almost done with a propane tank. I'm down to make a comp scale class! Do you like how slow it is? Sometimes I wish I could go faster, but I just really love to crawl, I'd want the speed for mud. In my opinion I wouldn't get the honcho, that's the truck I was going to get but it was a little to much. All we gotta do is design a truck frame for LNC skid. Oh and I'd love to see a picture of your links! I dislike the stock ones.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #305

hey diesel im into the scalers as well. about 5 years ago i built a clodbuster comp crawler. i recently traded the comp crawler for a honcho. ive good ideas to build custom bumpers and slides. possibly make a service rig lookin truck with tool boxes and a tow truck boom in the back. winches at both ends and light all over! but we'll see where it goes for now its stock. heres a pic.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s492/dkhb03/007.jpg
stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #306

Diesel, you can buy frame kits at RC4WD.com among other places. The whole reason for a second crawler was for my wife to run with me. I'd pass the NC along to her and run the Honcho. I've already sort of sunk $120 worth of stuff anticipating the Honcho, I got the Proline '92 Cherokee with the interior and chassis pan that is designed to fit the SCX10 chassis for starters. The interior is a hard to find item, the chassis pan includes the fender wells and all of the underside of a unibody vehicle is pretty near impossible to find. I also got a nice 1/10th driver figure that doesn't have a helmet on, I may get another but at $25 they're not cheap. I have a roof rack and tools and other items that will be ordered shortly.

The NC is slow, sure, and as a crawler it's not as good as Larry's Bully, but other than replacing the servo with a high torque one I haven't broken anything. The link replacement was less than $30, you really can't find an aluminum conversion kit for that much. I used brass so mine was a lot more expensive than if you were to just use aluminum. Swapping everything out took about 6 hours but I didn't have the proper tools and had to cut everything by hand. Do yourself a favor, if you have a Dremel tool get some cut off wheels to cut the threaded rods. As far as the skid is concerned, you really don't need it, the tranny can bolt to any plate on a ladder frame vehicle just as easily as that skid. Again, RC4WD have some tube and rail frames to pick from.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #307

Stickboy, that's a cool color! I also like the cut front bumper as well as the flat irons!! Would you make bumps and slides from metal or plastic? The tow truck idea is awesome! Well anything with more than one winch is badass.

Pete, well that's great that your wife wants to go crawl! Maybe you should hand it over and upgrade yourself! Haha I have seen many frames I am interested in for the leaf spring conversion, just one problem, I have no money. So that's why I make all my scale items. My hilift is a weird piece of metal I found that has holes and notches and I cut a head off a nail and then I had a handle for it. To be honest I still haven't found the body I wantto use. I have a ford cab that I sanded and trimmed to look more like a GMC. I wish I could post pics but I only have my phone for now. Next item will be bungies. I'm also building a 5in x 8in box type trailer with flat fenders to look like a military trailer. I'm using a tin that held peppermints btw haha I tried making a servo winch but I couldn't figure it out. I'm also running 2.2 swamper TSLs and they are amazing!! But I hate when the tire hits the spring.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #308

alright guys i wanna check out a comp ....... anyone have info on the closest one to us possibly bakersfield?? im not sure i just want to go see what its like please let me in on some info if you have any !!
------Skyler------
Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #309

hey diesel i love the flat irons to i just really like the look. they perform pretty good for me so far so i definetly plan on keeping them. my gole for the bumpers and sliders is to braze everything. you should post a pic of your truck.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #310

Skyler, I have been to a rock crawling comp for real rigs up at dinners pass, and halfway down the hill they had a course setup for scalers. That's all that I have seen. But you would think at a full-size rig comp there would be areas where scalers would find a place to setup.

Stickboy I just looove the look of the flat irons! I like the bfg KM2s also! Haha well that's good to use metal. I recently picked up an oxy acetylene torch, so I'm ready to make something. Just don't know what yet. I would want sliders first. I'm not sure if I can post through my phone so I'll just have to see if it will work to copy and paste. Damn it I couldn't figure it out. I have a iPhone 3. Can you post pictures to a forum on this? Haha sorry guys.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #311

Product Review: Proline '92 Cherokee, interior pan and floor pan. - YouTube
Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #312
Rock Stacker

Nice video Pete. Took a ride to millerton today and WOW the lake is full. We still found some good crawling.
smeesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #313

hey guys been busy with the move an all.......visalia house is alllllllllmost ready for all our CHIT...LOL......

we have been moveing (slowly) some pix over to photobucket when we have the time, so we can post em' on here and FACEY-SPACEY too....

DIESEL if ya can run up here by say friday/saturday.... we have a grip of aluminum plate and channel/angle, and rod to make yer own link bars....you can have it if you come up and pick out whatcha need for yer build.
we plan to be moved down to visalia by sat/sun...after that ya gotta catch us up here on a weekend some time.we still own the property and plan to be up here time to time for crawlin get to gethers etc.....

PETE : the honcho body does well for me...even for bein on a "EL ROJO GATO".....i say you get the honcho, IMO you will be happy with it!!

MITCH: we need to hit kaweah lake .......jeffs' prolly up there now kickin' over dirt clods, lookin' for other crawlers in the area!!!
josh
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #314

also me and skyler were talkin bout makin a list of guys who want to be contacted for local crawler events/get togethers....we have some of your guys' phone numbers but not all......sound off if ya want in!
(i think we have # for: mitch,steve,larry,dang,mark)?????

so how bout it guys??? pete jeff diesel stick jarod, and i know i gotta be forgetten like 2 names????????????

josh and BIG skydogg...
text or call 623-3072 sky.........804-6676 josh

Last edited by junebug; 05-10-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #315

Yeah, put me on the list, (559) 800-8216. I don't always answer but I will call you back if you leave a voice mail. Just.....no calls between 10AM and 2PM M-F....

Josh, the wife wants a second crawler so she can join us from time to time. We have plans to crawl in Yosemite when we go up in July, I think that would be a really cool trip for video. We're also working on a trip to the Cambria/San Simeon area, lots of rocks and an ocean breeze!!! I still want to head down to the Kaweah area too, only fair since they made the trip up here and closer to you guys in Visalia now too. Late July looks pretty promising.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #316
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McKay View Post
I still want to head down to the Kaweah area too, only fair since they made the trip up here and closer to you guys in Visalia now too. Late July looks pretty promising.
Agreed, Kaweah must happen. I can't believe how long its been since I got to play. Too darn busy to even put the motors in both vehicles yet. Nice set of Broods just sitting there for mine..... 2 sets of cobalts just sitting there for the Cat.... Pathetic!
Sydwall85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
DIESEL if ya can run up here by say friday/saturday.... we have a grip of aluminum plate and channel/angle, and rod to make yer own link bars....you can have it if you come up and pick out whatcha need for yer build.
we plan to be moved down to visalia by sat/sun...after that ya gotta catch us up here on a weekend some time.we still own the property and plan to be up here time to time for crawlin get to gethers etc.....
Sweet thank you very much for the materials!! That's so awesome. Haha I'm Chandler, 559 392-1457. I was actually on thismorningto see if I could come up this weekend. Haha sounds good I'd love to come out Friday. Could I get the address? I need to tear my rear axle down and regrease. But then I'll be goodto go, already did the front. Noticed my axles were much cooler to the touch. I'm really looking forward to coming out so please let me k ow when's best on Friday, I'm down for Saturday too but if your moving I dont wanna hold you up. Thank you again!
Chandler
Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #318
Rock Stacker

Am I seeing crawling at skypark tomorrow? What's up
smeesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #319

LETS CRAWL!!!
FRIDAY FO-SHO..., WOOT WOOT
ME & SKYLER will be out crawlin'/runnin' track FRIDAY(umm tomarrowLOL)
CHANDLER /STEVE/ MITCH..... I BELIEVE WILL be here also???

all are welcome!!! bring some drinks(lil ice chest) gonna be a warm one....

PS.....POOR LARRY :(

josh

Last edited by junebug; 05-10-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #320

hey guys i wish i could join you tomorrow but with work and mothers day im booked for the weekend. get me on the call list for the get togethers though junebug. my number is 559-362-4407

thanks kyle