Thread: JIA's IFS KOH Ultra4 Wraith Conversions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #61
06 Super National Champ

Default Re: JIA's IFS KOH Ultra4 Wraith Conversions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconrockkrawler View Post
I know Jason said he would keep an eye out on the buildup of his conversions, but i think it has gone to far now.

Couldn't resist posting this pic after i saw it.

Special Agent sent me the first video, and the 2nd was posted elsewhere. I figured it would be good to show the IFS and the SA rigs going through the same rough section.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #62
Pebble Pounder

I've collected most of the parts I need just asking where you get the rear shocks from?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyBS View Post
I've collected most of the parts I need just asking where you get the rear shocks from?
The shocks are 5 inch eye to eye.. The ones we use are integy shocks for ax10.. We was able to pick it up at a LHS..
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #64
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Like Special Agent said, were getting the shocks locally. They're 125mm and I flip the rear lower link/shock mount at the axle to lower the rear end a hair.

You could probably use 120mm shocks and not flip the rear lower link/shock mount. I've had people ask about the Yeah Racing shocks, but I haven't had a chance to see/use/try them.

Yeah Racing Alloy 120mm Damper Set (SV) #DP-0009SV ***-*Shocks, Shock Springs, Shock Oil*-*-Suspension*-*The Crawlers Store LLC

That's part of the reason I like to see build threads from the users if these IFS rigs - so we can see if my initial suspension setup works as good as I thought it would and what changes people are making.

All of the feedback I've gotten has been positive. I've asked the local guys what they would change, what would make the rig better, and haven't had anything suggested for improvement.

Young_version changed his rear springs (said his shocks were never as smooth as mine) but that's the only change I know of to his suspension.

If you run a motor with less power and torque than a Pro4, I suggest a lighter weight oil in the rear.

Also, DTP has been running a standard straight sway bar in the rear of his IFS. The straight sway bars don't serve as bump stops to limit down-travel of the rear axle like the sway bars I make. DTP has pulled ball ends off his rear shocks two or three times.

As I said in the first post, I highly suggest one of my rear sway bars. It keeps torque twist under control with the big motors, keeps the rear under control during hard cornering, limits rear down-travel, and makes the front work in the rocks.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #65

I am wondering if I could use the 110mm King Shocks from RC4WD or are they too short for the rear?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XterraTrax View Post
I am wondering if I could use the 110mm King Shocks from RC4WD or are they too short for the rear?
Sure you could, but keep in mind that 110mm is over 1/2" shorter than 125mm.
Your rig would be slammed in the rear.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #67
Rock Stacker

And unless you do some modification to the rear frame, it will reduce the amount of travel you have. With the shorter shocks you will loose more than just a half inch in travel. The shock body is shorter, so you won't be able to get the full range of the shock. With the 5" shock it comes close on the up travel to bottoming but you still have a little left. On mine that just went through this conversion, it is 98mm center to center for the shock when the rear suspension is fully compressed straight down. So that would leave you with around 12mm of vertical travel on the shorter shocks. Articulating will allow a little more due to the the axle angle and the frame but still not as much as the longer shocks will have.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #68
RCC Addict

I really liked the post that was deleted.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

I read the post that must have been deleted.
Really sucks to feel like someone is taking the piss out of you.

Since I'm in Australia I never thought about shipping parts back & forth to get built.
I'd much rather have the challenge & satisfaction of attempting this myself.

I'm currently finishing a re build of my Wraith before I tackle the Ultra 4. That build was also inspired by other on the forum who I hope appreciate my version. (should really create a thread on that one)

I'm hoping to document my IFS build over here (sometimes I forget to take pics when I get on a roll) & with your permission share it with the RCC community. That way more people can see what can be acheived if you have the guts to chop up perfectly good RC vehicles.

Bottom line. Don't let the minority get you down mate, keep up the good work & look forward to some dumb questions from me i the near future
Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Like Special Agent said, were getting the shocks locally. They're 125mm and I flip the rear lower link/shock mount at the axle to lower the rear end a hair.

You could probably use 120mm shocks and not flip the rear lower link/shock mount. I've had people ask about the Yeah Racing shocks, but I haven't had a chance to see/use/try them.

Yeah Racing Alloy 120mm Damper Set (SV) #DP-0009SV ***-*Shocks, Shock Springs, Shock Oil*-*-Suspension*-*The Crawlers Store LLC

That's part of the reason I like to see build threads from the users if these IFS rigs - so we can see if my initial suspension setup works as good as I thought it would and what changes people are making.

All of the feedback I've gotten has been positive. I've asked the local guys what they would change, what would make the rig better, and haven't had anything suggested for improvement.

Young_version changed his rear springs (said his shocks were never as smooth as mine) but that's the only change I know of to his suspension.

If you run a motor with less power and torque than a Pro4, I suggest a lighter weight oil in the rear.

Also, DTP has been running a standard straight sway bar in the rear of his IFS. The straight sway bars don't serve as bump stops to limit down-travel of the rear axle like the sway bars I make. DTP has pulled ball ends off his rear shocks two or three times.

As I said in the first post, I highly suggest one of my rear sway bars. It keeps torque twist under control with the big motors, keeps the rear under control during hard cornering, limits rear down-travel, and makes the front work in the rocks.
Thanks for the input. Once my Wraith is back together & I have a second cage I'll be getting stuck into it. I lost a battle with EBay the other night & it seem's I'll soon have 3 Exo kits. Think I might keep one stock.
Have you ever though of using the Exo front cage, Wrath Center & Exo rear?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #71
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

honestly, i havent really changed anything on mine(#2) because its designed and engineered perfectly. balance is great, break over, weight bias....you name it. the only thing i seem to be killing are slipper pads...i also run a straight rear sway...no problems on mine as of yet, might be because im still running a plastic rear housing.

for anyone whos on the fence and skeptical about it....do it. you get the both of best worlds. the point that i was maxing out my wraith, where the threshold between fun and spooky fast, is basically where the "sweet spot" of the ifs conversion begins. No JOKE! i love mine. probably more than a few of my multiple thousand dollar rigs.

JIA, keep em coming!! i may need another, this time ALL METAL.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Do you have a pic of front top an bottom so I could see how chassis an servo mounts up
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #73
06 Super National Champ

I'm done with these.

My price of $250 was to take two kits, build a custom vehicle, and ship it back to you.

Folks, that price was a steal.

Go to a local hobby shop and ask them what their build fee is to build a kit - if they even offer the service.

Add six+ hours of labor turning that kit into a custom vehicle. Then add shipping.

A reasonable price would be well above $250.

I kept the price low to save you guys on cost, yet priced the conversion where I felt like I was getting something for the hours I put into each of these rigs.

According to the PMs and such I'm getting, that's still too much.

People want discounts. Want to know if I'll do one for free to promote the rigs.

I'm not selling rigs. I'm offering a service.

Was, anyway.

#8 is on the bench, only four more will be made and those people know who they are.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Nice. I kinda thought this is the way things were going. I can't blame you at all.
I'm one of those people who think if you can't build it yourself maybe you need a new hobby.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #75
Rock Crawler

Man thats not cool. Everyone wants something for free. Well guess there will be only 12 cool one off JIA rigs. Sorry to hear your frustrated. Id be happy to pay $350 for the work your doing. If you decide to take on lucky 13 ill send you two kits tomorrow. With a return prepaid fed ex label included. Good luck and enjoy your ifs wraith. Look forward to seeing some crawling videos.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #76
Pebble Pounder

That's a real shame man. I always thought RCC was a real tight & friendly community.
I notice you deleted your build thread too. That's a real loss to the forum & sad to see.

I hope you & those who have one of these in their collection have a ball
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #77
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
That's a real shame man. I always thought RCC was a real tight & friendly community.
I notice you deleted your build thread too. That's a real loss to ythe forum & sad to see.

I hope you & those who have one of these in their collection have a ball
Wasn't deleted. Just wasn't visible.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Wasn't deleted. Just wasn't visible.
That's effectively the same to the rest of us.

I got so many great ideas while reading every page, and I'm not even planning an ifs build.
Closed Thread

JIA's IFS KOH Ultra4 Wraith Conversions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JIA's IFS Ultra4 build JasonInAugusta Axial Wraith 839 10-17-2014 02:36 PM
CC-01 IFS KoH Buggy tHeo Tamiya XC/CC01 6 10-29-2012 02:18 PM
KOH/Ultra4/Wraith lighting question (1:1 guys help me out) Soulo747 Axial Wraith 2 07-22-2012 02:53 PM
RC Ultra4 style race at KOH TheDude530 Axial Wraith 7 02-07-2012 10:48 PM
Ultra4/KOH build of doom Ruff11 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 10-10-2011 08:11 PM