MODERATOR™

Hmmm, that posted strangely.

Oh well.

I'll try again.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #402
RCC Addict

Interesting seeing Newey's comments saying that the changes were going to hit them hard. Funny how the tune has changed from a few weeks ago that it would be minimal.
Methinks that it is a bit of spin when RB's pace does not suffer as much as expected then the other teams will be further unhappy. All the rumors point to Ferrari being the main push to the EBD banning.

Newey's cars have always been clever and when he has some solid mechanical engneers working to put a mechanical pkg under his aero framework the cars have always been on top. Look back to Williams and even to his stint with McLaren. Not as successful due to Schuey a great Ferrari and perhaps the greatest engineering and strategy team ever,but still top notch.

Bring on the GP already let's see the real truth....

EP nice graphics to see how it all breaks down.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #403
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Hmmm, that posted strangely.

Oh well.

I'll try again.

EeePee...where can I find that ...I'd love to share that with my F1 RC guys...and print it out POSTER SIZE for the pit space in the garage...nice find!!!
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #404
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
the EBD banning.
Out of all that, these words interested me the most. Such a cool thing to think of, and implicate, then be banned. An invention I will always remember.

Ferrari, blah. Alonso brows is great, but the car is not. Blah blah. He just can't keep up.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #405
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
EeePee...where can I find that
Right click the picture and get the address. Right click properties, or whatever.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #406
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Interesting seeing Newey's comments saying that the changes were going to hit them hard.
Especially considering your post a few before that one.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #407
RCC Addict

Part of why I think Newey is full of it....

RB know exactly what it will cost and the Dev parts would already be on stream in thE last GP if they were worried
Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #408
RCC Addict

Snip snip from Autosport today....

The original intention had been to limit teams to just 10 per cent - but that was then increased marginally to 20 per cent at 18,000rpm after preliminary discussions with teams.
However, following lobbying from Renault, the engine manufacturer argued that it needed even more throttle use for engine reliability related to the exhaust valves.
The new limit counters a concession handed to rival Mercedes-Benz ahead of Silverstone - which has been allowed to keep firing half its cylinders as engine over run in a bid to ease crank case pressure.
The FIA's decision has provided a dramatic twist to the blown diffuser saga, and could have significant implications on the competitive order because it is understood that Red Bull Racing had only been running at 45 per cent throttle flow before the rules clarification was made by the FIA.

Funny so RB is now allowed to use 5% more fuel map/EBD flow than they were using pre-ban.... The FIA walked right into this one. As noted above Renault was using the fuel overrun to cool the exhaust valves. Newey and co noticed the increased flow and used it to their advantage with the rake from '09 onwards... Charlie Whiting had to have uttered the loudest "Oh Shit" when he read these fiigures.....
Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #409
MODERATOR™

Watching qualifying from the BBC...

Wait, so... they ban the blown diffuser but Mercedes says they still need off-throttle amounts because that's just how their engine works. And now Red Bull and Renault are protesting?

Everything was going so well (so it seemed), and they just had to eff it up.

Christian Horner is quite upset. And considers RB is running at a disadvantage at Silverstone.

Last edited by EeePee; 07-10-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #410
Official Cook of the ECC

Just finished watching Silverstone.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #411
Quarry Creeper

Due to a short vacation I couldn't see it live for the first time this season. (Schonach im zwarzwald was great btw (Germany)

Eepee, I feel your pain I downloaded it in 1080p (BBC) and gonna watch it first thing tommorow ...

Yes I know that ......... was first, ........ was second and, ........ was third but I was told it it's worth watching this one
mir4dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #412
MODERATOR™

And I just finished watching the race!

Yes, a good one! Great changing track conditions made for a fairly exciting race. So much so, the race seemed rather short.

I learned tire air pressure is only about 17 psi.

I think Vettel was the only one I saw cooling their slicks.

Schumacher, again!

I can't think of any comments other than ones that would spoil it, so I'll end here.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #413
Quarry Creeper

Well what's with this mid-season rule change bullshit? Let them race. The first engine failures of the season. Perhaps a coincidence.
blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #414
MODERATOR™

Quote:
The FIA confirmed on Thursday that it will now allow Formula 1 teams to keep running their blown diffusers off-throttle for the rest of the season, after it was agreed unanimously that a ban on the practice should be abandoned.

After a controversial weekend at the British Grand Prix where the row over off-throttle use of blown diffusers dominated affairs, the FIA said it would be willing to ditch its attempts to outlaw the practice if all teams were in agreement.

The matter had reached a head after world championship leader Red Bull Racing was left fuming when a concession was handed to the Mercedes-Benz-powered outfits on reliability grounds for them to run with a four-cylinder over-run under braking.

Red Bull Racing's Renault team had initially been allowed to keep a 50 per cent throttle opening, which it claimed it needed for reliability reasons, but that was taken away on Saturday morning - prompting fury from the Milton Keynes-based team.

With the FIA keen to find a resolution to the matter, the governing body held a series of meetings with technical chiefs to try and find an answer that all teams would be happy with.

A bid to find unanimous support for the ban to be ditched stalled on Sunday morning, however, when Ferrari and Sauber declined to accept the move during a lengthy meeting.

However, by Sunday evening the situation had changed and both teams suggested they would be willing to agree for the rules to revert back to how they were in Valencia - where teams could keep using their blown diffuser under all conditions but would not be allowed to change engine mapping settings between qualifying and the race.

In a document released by the FIA on Thursday, the governing body confirmed that it was now happy for the rules to be back to how they were at the European Grand Prix.

"All cars will run under 'Valencia' conditions for the remainder of the season," said the document, which went on to state that it believed there would be no protest over the matter.

"We are optimistic that there will be no protests over any engine mapping and exhaust tailpipe issues this season. In addition to the main part of the agreement reached in the TWG meetings it was also agreed that no team would raise a protest against another on these matters for the rest of the season."

The blown diffuser issue will go away in 2012 with new technical regulations set to be imposed that will force teams to run with periscope-type exhausts that exit on top of the sidepods - so will not be able to have any major effect on the diffuser area of the car.

"The teams have already agreed to strict constraints on exhaust tailpipe position which will result in them exiting the bodywork much higher up and no longer in the vicinity of the diffuser," said the FIA. "Therefore, any aerodynamic benefit from exhaust gas flow over bodywork will be kept to an absolute minimum.

"Engine mapping will remain free (within the existing constraints of the FIA SECU) as, with the exhaust tailpipes in this new position, it is felt that any aerodynamic benefit will now be incidental to their primary purpose."
Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #415
MODERATOR™

Now that was a good qualifying session! Anyone see that shit?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #416
I wanna be Dave

Nope. Time Wiener moved my channels around and I don't get Speed anymore. And I'm not going to watch it on the computer.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #417
MODERATOR™

Too bad for you! It was an even greater race!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #418
RCC Addict

I caught the results before I got to watch the race...then I saw the race damn fine driving on all accounts(well a couple of brain farts) congrats to Macca and Ferrari the developments looked real good....

$5 says Ferrari turned the flow up on their EBD after learning how much others were running
Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #419
MODERATOR™

Quote:
$5 says Ferrari turned the flow up on their EBD after learning how much others were running
Not taking that bet. That was probably an oh shit realization.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #420
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Watching qualifying from the BBC...

Wait, so... they ban the blown diffuser but Mercedes says they still need off-throttle amounts because that's just how their engine works. And now Red Bull and Renault are protesting?

Everything was going so well (so it seemed), and they just had to eff it up.

Christian Horner is quite upset. And considers RB is running at a disadvantage at Silverstone.
Kinda sounds like NASCAR and it's rules making
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i mean honestly?, what are we doing here