Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: video camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #21
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Jester View Post
Remember that a 32Gb SDHC Class 4 or Class 6 card is going to cost about $80-$120 depending on the mfg. That gives you about 4 hours of recording at the highest HD setting.

I've been reading alot of reviews on this site and found them to be useful.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...l?tag=txt;page
They weren't terribly stoked about the video quality or the performance, but it's hard to say what's good enough for the price.....

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 02-10-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #22
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
A lil more and you can have a GREAT unit.

The wide angle lens is like $199 though--ouch.

Damn junkies
Damn junkies!!!

It seems like I've been waiting forever for prices to come down while doing all this research. I hadn't even thought about accessories like a wide angle lens yet........
Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #23
PapaGriz Yo

I've spent alot of time comparing the first 4 cameras on this list.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hd-camc...?tag=mncol;txt
Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
RCC Addict

griz what would you recommend in the $400 range?
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #25
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
griz what would you recommend in the $400 range?
I'll have to look a bit to give an actual recommendation because $400 is the price range I initially started at until I realized that for that price I was going to get a bottom of the barrel HD camera. For $400 I'd look at Standard Def cameras because then you are getting at least a decent quality camera for the money. I think.

If you want to spend a bit more than the $400 and you don't mind buying a factory refurbished camera then the only HD camera I'd personally buy is the Canon Vixia HG20. I had decided to buy this camera after talking to a guy on Youtube and seeing his video. I am leery of buying refurbished personally but it is at a great price for a $700 camera.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Here is his video. It works pretty good in low light and I use it's specs to compare others.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 02-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I'll have to look a bit to give an actual recommendation because $400 is the price range I initially started at until I realized that for that price I was going to get a bottom of the barrel HD camera. For $400 I'd look at Standard Def cameras because then you are getting at least a decent quality camera for the money. I think.

If you want to spend a bit more than the $400 and you don't mind buying a factory refurbished camera then the only HD camera I'd personally buy is the Canon Vixia HG20. I had decided to buy this camera after talking to a guy on Youtube and seeing his video. I am leery of buying refurbished personally but it is at a great price for a $700 camera.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Here is his video. It works pretty good in low light and I use it's specs to compare others.

I will look into the standard def. unit, like i mentioned before this is my first time venturing into the video photography world, Im more into the still shots and night photography between the camera, editing software, wide angle lens, another tripod, extra batteries. if the camera is $400 my budget for everything is already over a $1000 just to get into and see if I like the video side of photography
Old 02-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #27
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
both, meaning the sony I pointed out?
no the canon HV30 and B&H website
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #28
RCC Addict

for an sdhc card would a class 4 16gb give me 2 hours in full 1080i hd?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #29
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
I will look into the standard def. unit, like i mentioned before this is my first time venturing into the video photography world, Im more into the still shots and night photography between the camera, editing software, wide angle lens, another tripod, extra batteries. if the camera is $400 my budget for everything is already over a $1000 just to get into and see if I like the video side of photography
Look for something with at least a 1/6" sensor and I wouldn't buy anything less than 1Mp resolution. A minimum illumination of 1 lux or lower would be nice but that depends on how much you want to shoot in low light.

I did some quick looking and if I was going to buy a camcorder right now for less than $400 then I'd buy this Sony Handycam DCR-SR87. Remember though, that just from a little bit of searching.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...=mncolBtm;rnav

For editing software, I have been trying out the Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 trial version and really like it. I ordered the full version and for $60 at www.newegg.com it's a great deal. I tried Adobe Elements and hated it.

http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
Quote:
for an sdhc card would a class 4 16gb give me 2 hours in full 1080i hd?
Cameras will vary a bit. The Canon HF200 at full HD 24Mbps gets about 1.5 hours on a 16Gb card, where that Samsung HMX-H100 you found records HD at about 17Mbps so it gets about 2 hours on a 16Gb card. The HF200 will also get 2 hours on a 16Gb card when set to 17Mbps.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I will just be happy when I don't have to spend hours converting everything into a digital format
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Look for something with at least a 1/6" sensor and I wouldn't buy anything less than 1Mp resolution. A minimum illumination of 1 lux or lower would be nice but that depends on how much you want to shoot in low light.

I did some quick looking and if I was going to buy a camcorder right now for less than $400 then I'd buy this Sony Handycam DCR-SR87. Remember though, that just from a little bit of searching.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...=mncolBtm;rnav

For editing software, I have been trying out the Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 trial version and really like it. I ordered the full version and for $60 at www.newegg.com it's a great deal. I tried Adobe Elements and hated it.

http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Cameras will vary a bit. The Canon HF200 at full HD 24Mbps gets about 1.5 hours on a 16Gb card, where that Samsung HMX-H100 you found records HD at about 17Mbps so it gets about 2 hours on a 16Gb card. The HF200 will also get 2 hours on a 16Gb card when set to 17Mbps.
I think im going to end up with the samsung and a couple 16gb class 6 sdhc cards, most of my footage will only be 5-10 minutes at a time at crawl events
Old 02-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #32
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
I will just be happy when I don't have to spend hours converting everything into a digital format
Cripes man. It's enough work when everything is already digital, I can't imagine adding the A/D conversion on top of that.

I do have alot of 1:1 wheeling video from back in the 90's that is all analog. I'll have to convert that someday.....Ugh.
Quote:
I think im going to end up with the samsung and a couple 16gb class 6 sdhc cards, most of my footage will only be 5-10 minutes at a time at crawl events
Cool, the specs seem reasonable on that model. Good sensor size and resolution, decent minimum illumination, good lens aperture.
I'll be interested to see how the vids turn out. That way I will know how much to trust the reviews. It's so subjective. I'd be happy if I just knew I was getting something significantly better than what I have, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 02-11-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Cool, the specs seem reasonable on that model.
I'll be interested to see how the vids turn out. That way I will know how much to trust the reviews. It's so subjective. I'd be happy if I just knew I was getting something significantly better than what I have, it doesn't have to be perfect.
look for videos in the next month or so I dont want to spend to much on a video camera and then not like the video shooting/editing
Old 02-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
look for videos in the next month or so I dont want to spend to much on a video camera and then not like the video shooting/editing
I enjoy the editing portion more than the filming.

Started with microsoft movie maker to just get the rough idea and then moved up.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
I enjoy the editing portion more than the filming.

Started with microsoft movie maker to just get the rough idea and then moved up.
I watched a lot of demo videos of different editing softwares and I like the look of the pinnicle studio software it looks easy to use just drag and drop everything even cutting the clips
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I watched a lot of demo videos of different editing softwares and I like the look of the pinnicle studio software it looks easy to use just drag and drop everything even cutting the clips
That is nice software but still not as diverse and strong as vegas.

And another nice thing for whatever you get--look on youtube for training videos on it. I learned a TON on some basic concepts of the software I run and then able to move forward with that.