Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 11y/o suspended for anti-obama shirt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #21
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Where are these tax breaks you speak of. Everything is going up for me.

tax breaks? do you mean handouts? you know,when they steal money from one person by way of taxation,and hand it out to others its just a way of buying votes.
where do you think they will steal the money from when the people they take it from go broke from the excessive taxes.
Obama has done nothing to help the economy,he has picked and choosed who gets help.
why should my tax dollars go to help gm,and not go to help the local hardware store?
why should the auto industry be saved,but not the concrete, industry?
the man is crooked IMO and I think his pockets are being lined.
I could care less about michigan and the auto plants.
all buisness are hurting,and its not my job as a taxpayer to bail any of them out.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
the goverment has no right telling my son what to wear,lenght of hair,ect.
Ya know, I felt the same way, until I saw some of the problems that clothing causes in a large school district (HISD). I think that a lot of the schools around here require uniforms to help eliminate some of the safety problems that might be caused by the clothes that kids were wearing. Heck, it really isnt much different than the dress codes that are currently enforced in just about every school in the country. Most parents here like the uniforms because it is cheaper than buying the clothes that the kids wanted.

All of this would not be a problem if parents shopped where my folks did to find my clothes as a kid.......Sams!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #23
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Ya know, I felt the same way, until I saw some of the problems that clothing causes in a large school district (HISD). I think that a lot of the schools around here require uniforms to help eliminate some of the safety problems that might be caused by the clothes that kids were wearing. Heck, it really isnt much different than the dress codes that are currently enforced in just about every school in the country. Most parents here like the uniforms because it is cheaper than buying the clothes that the kids wanted.

All of this would not be a problem if parents shopped where my folks did to find my clothes as a kid.......Sams!
sorry j,but I dont see how clothes can cause problems,kids can cause problems. I have no problem with dealing harshly with students who are disobedient. but a person should be able to wear what they wish,within reason ofcourse
a bad student is a bad student no matter what they wear.
a good student likewise..
and a child/student is still a person.
some people prefer boots,some shoes,some people cant stand the eleastic around thier arm sleeves,some like it.
some people dont like standup collars,some do.
we are all different,and as a result are most comfortable wearing different things.
the majority of a students waking hrs are at school,or going to and from.
a would say that ones sense of self is very important.
kids have controle over very little,a dress code simply takes away one more thing they once had some controle over,and in turn makes them the same as everyone else,instead of individuals.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
sorry j,but I dont see how clothes can cause problems,kids can cause problems.
Around here, some of the kids associate themselves with certain "groups" and use their clothes to show that association....which can cause problems. When the school limits the clothing, that limits the problems.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #25
Suck it up!

Quote:
Around here, some of the kids associate themselves with certain "groups" and use their clothes to show that association....which can cause problems. When the school limits the clothing, that limits the problems.
Doh! I hate to see a good wigga get held down by the man...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #26
dnf

Quote:

to me its the same old song and dance.
the criminal comits crime with a weapon,so well just get rid of the weapons.
but by doing so you limit the rights of those who have done nothing wrong.

same here,what your saying is since a groups of bad kids are doing things they shouldnt,the good kids lose even more of thier freedom.

the kids that are an issue should be dealt with swiftly and harshly.
let them learn now while they have a chance,that thier actions will not be tolerated.

let not those who are good be punished as a result of the actions of those who are bad.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #27
Suck it up!

Pretty much every school has a dress code, some more liberal than others.

My sons school has a rule against overly baggy pants. Thank god for that.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
If only you knew. There are schools in certain neighborhoods of Houston that have VERY FEW white kids....

Quote:
what your saying is since a groups of bad kids are doing things they shouldnt,the good kids lose even more of thier freedom.
Well, I don't really care too much about what I wear....never have. So, I don't see clothes as a form of "expression" and, IMO, kids shouldn't either. I dont really see what the school is doing (by making them wear uniforms) as punishing any students, I see it as them trying to help avoid possible situations that might be harmful to other students. IMO, it is better to prevent those situations than punish those after the situation has happened. The students who are the troublemakers (as far as clothing goes) around here, will not learn their lesson. They are the ones filling up the jails....

Quote:
the criminal comits crime with a weapon,so well just get rid of the weapons.
See, I view this a bit differently. We have laws that dictate actions with weapons to help eliminate some of the problems. Of course someone who breaks the law wont care about them....this is what the school is trying to avoid.

Last edited by JeremyH; 09-15-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #29
Suck it up!

Quote:
If only you knew. There are schools in certain neighborhoods of Houston that have VERY FEW white kids.....
More sarcasm.

Though around here about the only time you'll see a black person is on tv.

Quote:
See, I view this a bit differently. We have laws that dictate actions with weapons to help eliminate some of the problems. Of course someone who breaks the law wont care about them....this is what the school is trying to avoid.
Everyone has freedoms untill someone abuses them, then there are limitations. Same with anything.

Elementary school is a place for learning, not social or political commentary.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
More sarcasm.
Yeah, I caught it...

Quote:
Everyone has freedoms untill someone abuses them, then there are limitations. Same with anything.

Elementary school is a place for learning, not social or political commentary.
Yep, agreed. Our schools already have a tough time giving kids a quality education....we don't need more items that will hurt that process. If kids can't go to school without worrying if they are wearing the right clothes or if they'll get hurt because of what they are wearing, then they might as well not even attend school.....because they certainly aren't going to learn anything.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

School a place for learning (sarcasim). You are funny thanks for the laugh (sarcasim). We all know that school is just a big child care facility so moms, and dads can go to work to pay the man. It's a vicious cycle that will never end so dont bother putting up a fight.

No really I agree with a couple of points here:
1. The kid could give a rats azz about politics he just wants to hang out with friends and have a good time. This was his dads chance to make a stink and feel important. (and really if you use your 11 year old to make a statment how good of a parent are you)
2. Uniforms level the playing field in schools. Its not just about good kids vs. bad kids. There is also an economic dividing line that you are overlooking. Its hard enough being a teenager with out having to compete clothing wise with danny douche who's parents buy him all the cool cloths your folks cant afford (cause they are working to pay the man).

Last edited by punkfan; 09-15-2010 at 07:48 AM.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
We all know that school is just a big child care facility so moms, and dads can go to work to pay the man. It's a vicious cycle that will never end so dont bother putting up a fight.
Actually, there are some VERY good schools in my area. However, for kids to go and stay there, they (and their parents) must work very hard on the child's education. Oh, BTW, they require uniforms as well...
Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I bet that there's more to this story than is coming out.

I used to be involved pretty closely with my local school system (coaching, etc), and I never once saw somebody suspended for a piece of clothing. If there was a problem, the school would just ask them to turn the shirt inside out. I did see this happen a time or two. Usually for something offensive, but occaisionally when it was something that brought so much attention that it interupted the classroom (as they reported that the Obama shirt did).

Occaisionally, I student would be sent home or suspended, but only after they refused or made an outburst regarding it.

As I said, I really don't know, but I'm willing to bet there's more to the story.

Oh, and before you call me a liberal, you should know that I don't agree with either the extreme left or right wingers and I think it's a shame that our political system has come down to choosing sides.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Liberal.......JK choosing sides is they way of the new world order. They teach it to you in grade school (picking teams in gym) its all a big conspiracy ive seen it 1000 times. I think in the article it says something about the kid being difficult when confronted about the t-shirt. Again daddy said "dont let them give you any shat about your shirt" Im sure this is exactly how the kid wants to spend his time.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Default Really

Quote:

What do you mean by the word " Wigga ", because if it's what I think your saying that's a problem.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well, I don't really care too much about what I wear.....
Yeah, we saw that at Nats this past weekend!!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
Yeah, we saw that at Nats this past weekend!!
What?!!? You didnt like my golf shirts and Target shorts?

I actually got a compliment from Fish on those shirts.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #38
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
2There is also an economic dividing line that you are overlooking. Its hard enough being a teenager with out having to compete clothing wise with danny douche who's parents buy him all the cool cloths your folks cant afford (cause they are working to pay the man).
I was under that dividing line in school. Yeah, I was harassed at times. The good thing about it was I learned who the douches were early on, and that having cool clothes does not make you a cool person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I bet that there's more to this story than is coming out.
I think if you go look at the story again it said that the suspension was more due to his attitude or actions than is was about the shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
What do you mean by the word " Wigga ", because if it's what I think your saying that's a problem.
I meant it as its defined. White kids acting like a black gang bangers.

Whats the problem.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Default Think about it!

Quote:
I was under that dividing line in school. Yeah, I was harassed at times. The good thing about it was I learned who the douches were early on, and that having cool clothes does not make you a cool person.

I think if you go look at the story again it said that the suspension was more due to his attitude or actions than is was about the shirt.

I meant it as its defined. White kids acting like a black gang bangers.

Whats the problem.
That's a racist comment. I guess you just don't understand, and that's a problem also.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Seriously?!
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote