Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: survivorman vs bear grylls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Im not saying one is better than the other i just think les deals with more situations most of us will find ourselves in. The cliff and the running from the Bear were the same episode 1st or 2nd season. He could hear some noise in the bushes at night an said this area is full of bears then just took off running. Cut to the scene later and he is at a 20' cliff still running from the bear and jumps into the river below. I have done a lot of cliff jumping but never into unknown water. I will give bear one thing he is a tough sob. I dont know if you caught the show where he goes through the french foreign legion training, but that final hike through the desert look like the worst hell ever.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

They all have support. Don't think that Les or Cody, Cody's partner, or Bear do any of this without a safety crew. They'd never get insured.

It's great entertainment though, so just enjoy it

If you want to learn real survival skills, for gods sake, don't do it by watching a cable television show!

BTW, I like the down to earth style of Cody, but he needs to wear shoes in some of those locations. I known he hasn't worn them his entire adult life, but sometimes they're just necessary. Try telling your commanding officer that you refuse to wear your combat boots because they're bad for you
Or your boss because you don't like wearing steel toe boots while you run the jackhammer. If I were in any type of serious survival situation, I'd want a nice flexible high top tacticle boot like this:
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

bears a homo....hes the kinda guy that if he broke his leg out there that he would call in the helicopters and go home ......les is the guy that gos out and makes it so he cant use his leg. to make it like he has a broken leg and shows you how to live off the things that are with in crawling of you... till you are found. i go hunting for 2 weeks in northern b.c with one other guy we have very little food a horse a gun and a bottle of wiskey. its -40 celsus ..we do know where the hunting cabins are tho...i have learned way more that i would use from les that i would use ....

ps there is nothing more scary then a moose in rut.... 1000 pound bears look like cats next to a 1800 pound moose charging at you
ROCKWHORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

i can respect each one of those guys for what they do and or have accomplished.in the end they do what they have to for ratings concerning their tv shows. thats not saying each of them dont know their shiat.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:51 AM   #25
Who's your Daddy-0!

Might I add that Cody doesn't just do this on a TV show. He teaches what he knows at a college where he lives and teaches his skills on the land by his house. He lives what he preaches everyday, not just for show As far as him wearing shoes, he tells everyone to wear good boots or hiking shoes. He does wear wool socks sometimes and he has to wear flip flops when he goes to town because of the stores he has to go into.

Just to add another name for the list here.... He doesn't do TV but is world renowned for tracking and survival. Tom Brown He is a bad ass knife maker to! I have 3 of his knives
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Les Stroud FTW.
You only say that 'cause he's a Canadian
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKWHORE View Post
......les is the guy that gos out and makes it so he cant use his leg. to make it like he has a broken leg and shows you how to live off the things that are with in crawling of you...
actually les is the one who tried to pretend he had a broken arm in the canada episode and he stopped trying after a bit, shows how committed he is....
bear actually got stung by a bee had almost went blind! and he still went on to at least finish the show.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
You only say that 'cause he's a Canadian
I was wondering when someone would notice that . Keep in mind, we were a former British colony and still have close ties to the monarchy, so I could have gone either way in the nationalistic favouritism

Good article Kenny. I think Cody hit the nail on the head, no matter what the person does, at the end of the day the editors have final control and will usually choose the exciting tidbits. As I noted earlier, true survival makes for rather boring tv. As long as people aren't taking it too seriously.

For pure entertainment factor, I'd definitely give Bear the thumbs up
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #29
RCC Addict

I know there is alot of entertainment with man vs wild and all the producers do there part but bear really does try to give you fact and tips, no matter whats going on in the show, he is still giving you facts on to whats edible and whats not, what to stay away from and whats safe to touch, les doesn't do that, he just say's it's edible, at least bear tries to give people facts about stuff even if the producers try and make it more entertaining
Old 12-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #30
Who's your Daddy-0!

There has been more information in 1 season of "Duel Survival" than in both the other shows combined! The thing about Bear's show is he shows how to "try" and get out quick. Cody's show shows you how to get out alive and try and get help. If you can't he shows you how to survive till you can get out or get rescued. You would be crazy to try 1/20th the stuff that Bear does!

I respect all of the at the end of the day and they are all bad asses! They all have there strong points. Dave C. is a bad ass to and he eats like a king on the show because he is a good hunter!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #31
RCC Addict

I believe cody is better than both yes, but I just hate how no one pays attention to how bear will at least say some useful info to the viewers, kinda like how he throws himself in to bog and quick sand and shows a stick or bag can help to distribute weight so that there is no direct pressure point that will cause you to sink in more and gives you a chance to get out,
Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Bear's techniques are not what the average lost or stranded person would use. He is radical, unpredictable and stupid sometimes.

Thanks, but I'd rather walk my way out of the mountains than make a shoddy raft and float down an icy 34*F river, freeze my ass off and die of hypothermia. No one would EVER go jumping into a river in the friggen winter.

Plus Bear has a camera crew, helis and tents when they need them. He actually got caught staying with the crew. I remember one episode he fell into a hole under some bushes and the camera man helped him out, WTF? Climb your own way out man, you're supposed to be "alone."

Les is the man, he's got no crew, does all the filming himself and shows you how to survive for days on end. Bear just mad dashes to "get out" of where you're stranded. They are both fun to watch, but Bear is more of a Hollywood stuntman than a survival guide.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #33
RCC Addict

in the beginning, he tells you that his camera crew will be following him....
so first off you should already know he's not alone... unless your not paying attention......

and everyone says that he sleeps in hotels and stuff, can someone back that up?

and it's a known fact that river's are the fasted way out, I would rather make a raft and get out quick that stay longer and potentially die another way.

again everyone complains cuz les "has no camera crew" you do realize thats just a his way of marketing, even when stranded in the cean he talks about that he has crew check on him every few hours.... oh ya he's alone
he can't be alone cuz of insurance reasons, just like bear..

just like someone else said here:
bear shows how to survive.
les shows how he survives.

how les survives isn't always going to work for you, but bear shows how the general knowledge is on surviving, with exception that he does use some more risk taking cuz thats who he is and he knows how to.
hell les was in the desert and wouldn'tgo down a thirty foot cliff even when there was present of a river or stream down it but would rather go somewhere else and clinb down 1000 feet and find no water..... bear even shows that on corners of river beds that there is some water underground under rocks....
les just says there is no water in a empty river bed......like that helps people.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #34
www.team3sixrc.com

I laugh at some of you.

Bear this, Cody that, Les this.... How many of you actually think you could hack it in a situation where you had to make decisions in order to survive? Just the paranoia of wondering if youll live will kill you if you let your mind get the best of you.

Im sorry guys, I know you might mean well and I respect all of these guys for doing what they do to let the common person know what to do if you were put in that situation. Reality show or not they are all very experienced at adapting to their surroundings to survive.

In the real world there is no return helicopter or plane coming to get you and if your not at the pick up location then they send a search party for you., there is no partner with you out in the wild who just so happens to be trained in survival. There are the elements and 50% chance youll get through it. Even if you know what your doing.

for instance. 97% (97%) of Americans do not have a first aid survival kit in their auto's ( Blanket, A good First aid kit, matches, flare, water, jumper cables, food rations, and an extra pair of clothes and boots)

A good winter storm hits where you are stuck and out of gas in the middle of no where. No one is coming for you until that storm passes. Stuck in the desert, same senario! it gets plenty cold at night.

Regardless of who these guys are and what show it is and what is being put in your face to boost ratings, everyone can use to watch and learn from them and their talents.

BTW, for the record. I know that Cody wont wear shoes because he believes that is how man lived before shoes were made. But then again even man was smart enough not to go into the middle of a rain forest without protection a couple a hundred years ago.

Last edited by team3six; 12-16-2010 at 12:44 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
I laugh at some of you.
Bear this, Cody that, Les this.... How many of you actually think you could hack it in a situation where you had to make decisions in order to survive? Just the paranoia of wondering if youll live will kill you if you let your mind get the best of you.
Im sorry guys, I know you might mean well and I respect all of these guys for doing what they do to let the common person know what to do if you were put in that situation. Reality show or not they are all very experienced at adapting to their surroundings to survive.
In the real world there is no return helicopter or plane coming to get you and if your not at the pick up location then they send a search party for you., there is no partner with you out in the wild who just so happens to be trained in survival. There are the elements and 50% chance youll get through it. Even if you know what your doing.
for instance. 97% (97%) of Americans do not have a first aid survival kit in their auto's ( Blanket, A good First aid kit, matches, flare, water, jumper cables, food rations, and an extra pair of clothes and boots)
A good winter storm hits where you are stuck and out of gas in the middle of no where. No one is coming for you until that storm passes. Stuck in the desert, same senario! it gets plenty cold at night.
Regardless of who these guys are and what show it is and what is being put in your face to boost ratings, everyone can use to watch and learn from them and their talents.
BTW, for the record. I know that Cody wont wear shoes because he believes that is how man lived before shoes were made. But then again even man was smart enough not to go into the middle of a rain forest without protection a couple a hundred years ago.
and you are right on this, I'm just tryin to get people to understand is that bear also tells you facts about things in survival, from what to eat to what makes it easier to start fire, I just got done watching dual survival, and it's funny because they are showing you and telling you useful info just like bear does.
is there anyone who is actually listening to what they say? because bear and dual survival are both giving out info, like "soaked" cody tells you about a plant and what it can do and gives a history lesson on what indians used it for...bear has done the same!
"soaked" they slid down a log to get across a river because there was no other option, same has how bear say's that going across a log to get to the other side, if it's the only way!
I think most of you are just watching and not listening, if you listen you'll see that man vs wild gives you tips on how to survive just like how dual survival gives you tips on how to survive. thats what the shows are about.
plus people complain cuz les has no camera crew... well what does that say about dual survival? they got a camera crew also, they aren't shooting the films themselves...
Old 12-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #36
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
I laugh at some of you.

I can say I'm as ready as one can be for a survival situation I have a BOB in every car, one at work and 2 at the house. I've done 7 day trips with just the pack on my back. I've been super lost and worked it out. You never know what will or can happen until it does. But you can be ready the best you can if it does. A simple note or phone call letting someone know what you are doing and where you are going and when you should be back would save 100's of lives every year....

Cody's no shoe wearing... He also does it to slow him down and make him aware of his surroundings. Going fast can get you hurt and make you use calories you can't afford to loose. Barefoot can actually help you get a better grip as well. he also doesn't have to worry about blisters or jungle rot. His feet are like thick leather now. They still get cut and hurt sometimes though.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I tend to watch most of these shows as even this shite is better than most else on telly.

End of the day survival is how you react to certain situations, i've seen some of the toughest guys you could ever meet go to shite after 2 days without food.
I've witnessed Navy Seals that were unable to report for duty after 4 days in the jungle because they thought it was "gay" to sleep in a hammock and chose to bivy up on the jungle floor

Saying that the only guy i'd want by my side if things went to fooook is Ray Mears

This guy keeps his cool knows his plants and work with nature as much as possible rather than fight against it to try and get TV ratings.

If you've not watched any Ray Mears try DLing a few episodes and see what you think

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by cbr6fs; 09-13-2011 at 09:08 AM.
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
This guy unlike Grylls has carried out extensive special forces training, he keeps his cool knows his plants and work with nature as much as possible rather than fight against it to try and get TV ratings.

If you've not watched any Ray Mears try DLing a few episodes and see what you think

Cheers
Mark
he's got a freakin ax, matches, a billy can, fishing gear, and a spoon!
I saw the rocky mountain episode, aside from all the equipment he has, he tells fact and info just the same as bear does, and just like the ordeal that someone says he sleeps in hotels, wheres the info that he never was in the sas?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
he's got a freakin ax, matches, a billy can, fishing gear, and a spoon!
I saw the rocky mountain episode, aside from all the equipment he has, he tells fact and info just the same as bear does, and just like the ordeal that someone says he sleeps in hotels, wheres the info that he never was in the sas?

Don't know where you have your info on him staying in hotels, never heard that and i can't see how that's possible.

As for the axe, spoon etc, why the hell not

Only difference is he's up front about it rather than having an axe behind the camera in the 4x4

Not really sure how you go about finding info about someone NOT doing something

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by cbr6fs; 09-13-2011 at 09:09 AM.
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

This is kinda off topic but got me thinking, how many of you have ever been lost in the woods or in some kind of extreme environment for at least 24 hours and were not prepared for it?

I got lost while hiking in the cascade mountain range and had to spend the night. I went in for a day hike wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I had enough water to get me through the day and some high calorie snacks. I had a first aid kit with a emergency blanket and a pocket knife and a compass.

I have read a lot of survival books and always felt pretty confident alone in the outdoors. Until I was in this situation.

Once I realized I was lost I did exactly the opposite of what I should of done, I tried finding my way back using my compass.

If I would of stayed put I would of been found that night because I told my wife exactly where I was hiking and the time I planned to be home.

It was weird because I did the exact opposite of everything I had read about, my brain just didn't seem to work right in that stressfull situation.

Once it got dark I quite trying to find my way back. It got very cold and I was out of water and food. I burned so many calories that I was literally worn out. If I didnt have a emergency blanket Im sure I would of died that night. the next morning I had excepted my situation and was actually thinking more clearly. I was eventuall y found 18 miles away from where I was suppose to be.

I guess what Im saying is I was very lucky. I did everything wrong and was not prepared for the worst. My experience might not sound extreme but I can tell you I have never been so scared in my life. The guys that are trained survivalist's go thru intense physcological (spelling?) training to deal with the stress and fear that is involved.

Anyone have a similiar experience?
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote