Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: survivorman vs bear grylls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post

Don't know where you have your info on him staying in hotels, never heard that and i can't see how that's possible.

As for the axe, spoon etc, why the hell not
I'm not saying ray mears was sleeping in a hotel(if I confused you)
people are saying that bear sleeps in hotels and not in his makeshift shelter, thats why I said do you have something to back up that bear wasn't in the sas.
people say he sleeps in hotels, so I ask them to prove it. same as what I asked you.
hope that cleared everything up.

ya I was lost to for a day when my family went up hunting in eastern oregon, and I had my knife, striker, and my rifle, and i was dumb enough to go walking without telling anyone and I don't know how far I walked but I got lost and well I did what I knew from survival books and all my other knowledge, ya for like an hour I think I was freakin out, I did my three shot in the air, hopeing someone would fire back or something and no one did. I really just had to stop and take giant breath to kinda calm down and just started thinking, and it was past the afternoon so I first made a shelter thing, it was a cross between a lean-to and a pole, and a fire next. when they talk about a fire being that comfort, they mean it.
I got lucky to find a road the next day but that night was scary but I went off what I knew and alot of what I did and thought about was the same as what some of these shows say, I knew I wasn't going to jump off high cliffs but I did snack on dandelions and a snack bar lol, and I knew I could eat them even though they have white sap because what I knew and learned.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I was wondering when someone would notice that . Keep in mind, we were a former British colony and still have close ties to the monarchy, so I could have gone either way in the nationalistic favouritism
Ah hell, you know I'm just giving you shit
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I can say I'm as ready as one can be for a survival situation I have a BOB in every car, one at work and 2 at the house. I've done 7 day trips with just the pack on my back. I've been super lost and worked it out. You never know what will or can happen until it does. But you can be ready the best you can if it does. A simple note or phone call letting someone know what you are doing and where you are going and when you should be back would save 100's of lives every year....

Cody's no shoe wearing... He also does it to slow him down and make him aware of his surroundings. Going fast can get you hurt and make you use calories you can't afford to loose. Barefoot can actually help you get a better grip as well. he also doesn't have to worry about blisters or jungle rot. His feet are like thick leather now. They still get cut and hurt sometimes though.
what is a "BOB"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Might I add that Cody doesn't just do this on a TV show. He teaches what he knows at a college where he lives and teaches his skills on the land by his house. He lives what he preaches everyday, not just for show As far as him wearing shoes, he tells everyone to wear good boots or hiking shoes. He does wear wool socks sometimes and he has to wear flip flops when he goes to town because of the stores he has to go into.

Just to add another name for the list here.... He doesn't do TV but is world renowned for tracking and survival. Tom Brown He is a bad ass knife maker to! I have 3 of his knives
ah yes tom brown. i dont know to much about him besides his knives and that he inspired the movie the hunted.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #44
Who's your Daddy-0!

"BOB" Bug out bag Its a small backpack filled with things to keep you alive in many situations. Something you can grab Fast and go!

First aid supplies, flashlight, lighter and matches, duct tape, pistol and ammo, paracord, cash, two knives, candy bar, water, etc.....

Or if you ask Lacey "BOB" is her battery operated boyfriend!:

Tom Brown teaches survival classes and tracking classes also. But yea, he is know to a lot of people as the guy who made the knife for the Hunted. The knife is called the Tracker. It won knife of the year some years ago
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
in the beginning, he tells you that his camera crew will be following him....
so first off you should already know he's not alone... unless your not paying attention......

I pay plenty attention, enough to know that what Bear does for "survival" is 99% of the time not necessary. You wouldn't go bailing into a freezing ass river in the middle of winter to "get out" of your situation because you would die.

and everyone says that he sleeps in hotels and stuff, can someone back that up?

Bear admitted it himself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_vs._Wild
They even added their own Hollywood special effects!

“Episodes take about ten days to tape, explains Grylls: “The night stuff [shown on camera] is all done for real. But when I’m not filming I stay with the crew in some sort of base camp." Episodes now clarify when Grylls gets support from his crew and when situations are staged, “We should have done that from the start,” he says. “The more you see, the more real it feels.””

and it's a known fact that river's are the fasted way out, I would rather make a raft and get out quick that stay longer and potentially die another way.

Again, no you wouldn't. Maybe in the summer, but in the winter? C'mon. Highway to death right there.

again everyone complains cuz les "has no camera crew" you do realize thats just a his way of marketing, even when stranded in the cean he talks about that he has crew check on him every few hours.... oh ya he's alone
he can't be alone cuz of insurance reasons, just like bear..

Right, but they aren't following him and helping him through stuff. Helis fly over to check on him for safety, but he's still alone and self sustaining.

just like someone else said here:
bear shows how to survive.
les shows how he survives.

In a way, but Bear does things that are dangerous and really put the odds against him for staying alive. He's a bit to radical with his "get out or die" philosophy. Les shows you how to stay alive until help arrives, so it's two different approaches in survival.

how les survives isn't always going to work for you, but bear shows how the general knowledge is on surviving, with exception that he does use some more risk taking cuz thats who he is and he knows how to.
hell les was in the desert and wouldn'tgo down a thirty foot cliff even when there was present of a river or stream down it but would rather go somewhere else and clinb down 1000 feet and find no water..... bear even shows that on corners of river beds that there is some water underground under rocks....
les just says there is no water in a empty river bed......like that helps people.
They are both good shows and we can argue all day who is better, but it seems Bear has some iffy stuff going on.

Oh and check these out!
http://www.survivormanfans.com/i-kno...-wild-is-fake/

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 12-18-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
That's awesome... What some people will do to be on TV
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
????? I've seen every episode of survivorman and man vs wild, neither has slept in a hotel, and I haven't seen bear run from a bear, in the alabama show he actually tells his camera crew to get down low cuz a brown bear does come walking down a hill towards them and to the right, and bear has shown how to make a depth gauge for knowing how deep a certain body of water is, yes the glisading is a little dangerous, but if you are trying to get out and to find civilization, you got to take risks.
the only one I've seen run is les and that was in the panama episode with the leopard.
again les doing it right? like i said, in alaska he eats snow to get water...... survival books and experts warn against doing that, bear was the one to advice what harm can happen from doing it and shows that you can melt it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d--hotels.html
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #48

Survivorman all the way and btw it was bear that ate the snow right off the ground and not less he always melts it
Clod Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
I laugh at some of you.

Bear this, Cody that, Les this.... How many of you actually think you could hack it in a situation where you had to make decisions in order to survive? Just the paranoia of wondering if youll live will kill you if you let your mind get the best of you.
I have no doubt I would end up in an animal turd. Thats why I stay out of the woods.

My friend went hunting this last year, took his wife and dog and kids, the wife got lost taking the dog for a walk, she did the best thing she could when she realized she was lost, she stopped and waited for her husband to find her.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #50
Who's your Daddy-0!

Lets not forget to that Less isn't doing Survivor Man anymore to. It was taking a big toll on his health and mental state that he chose to stop. The show he is doing now is nothing like what he was doing before.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote