Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: survivorman vs bear grylls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default survivorman vs bear grylls

so does anyone watch these shows? whats your guys opinion on them?
my thoughts are that people make to much hype on survivorman, because he goes out with no camera crew.... will I noticed that he mainly does it for credentials, he hardly ever gives advice or does thing right....
bear on the other goes in to show you how to survive with nothing, he gives you info of the land, what to eat and what not to eat, he even put's himself into dangerous positions to show you how to get out of them.
Idk I have a british SAS survival guide and it shows a lot of what bear talks about( I know some will say the book is fake, I wouldn't know, I got it at a gun show)
but it just seems that survivorman is just asking for glory for going out and trying to survive compare to bears trying to show you to survive
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

What Less does is 10x harder than Bear any day. Both shows are entertaining though Cody Lundin from Duel Survival is the man I would want beside me if I had to survive! I have read both of his books several times now. I plan on taking a trip to Arizona to take one of his advanced courses next year. 8 days in the nasty Arizona desert!

Remember that they are all reality shows. They do what they can to keep the viewer watching! Bear has giant balls for sure! Less has it a lot harder by himself out there though....
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I like the Bear Grylls Special with Will Ferrel, that was funny.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
so does anyone watch these shows? whats your guys opinion on them?
my thoughts are that people make to much hype on survivorman, because he goes out with no camera crew.... will I noticed that he mainly does it for credentials, he hardly ever gives advice or does thing right....
I've watched both and like both shows. I like Survivorman better for the simple reason that he doesn't have a whole entourage with him. And, if he wasn't doing things right, he wouldn't have survived long enough to get the film back to the editors

Quote:
bear on the other goes in to show you how to survive with nothing, he gives you info of the land, what to eat and what not to eat, he even put's himself into dangerous positions to show you how to get out of them.
Idk I have a british SAS survival guide and it shows a lot of what bear talks about( I know some will say the book is fake, I wouldn't know, I got it at a gun show)
but it just seems that survivorman is just asking for glory for going out and trying to survive compare to bears trying to show you to survive
Bear Grylls routinely has situations presented to him to show you how to survive... That tells me that the more difficult situations are set up in advance and he's shown by the "locals" how to survive them. I'm not doubting that he's a tough SOB (have you seen "Surviving the Legion"?). He has drank his own wiz and eaten shit most of us would never eat, but it seems the situations that Les Stroud encounters are as it happens.
Bear Grylls shows you how to survive.
Les Stroud shows you how he survives.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Survivor man would kick Bears ass!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Bear Grylls shows you how to survive.
Les Stroud shows you how he survives.
see thats how I see it, like I like survivorman but I also thing he complains and emphasizes too much on the camera crew thing, like you figure, I think it takes more guts to have crew follow you through thick and thin, not only is bears in trouble but his crew would be too.
see I see it as this: two people go in to the woods and les is the one who thinks he'll stay one night so he brings equipment with him to go one night, and he gets lost. well he has some stuff to work with and he shows how to use it. but bear is the other person that goes in the woods thinking he is only going to be out for a few hours and carry's light or nothing, but he gets lost too so he shows you how to survive with almost nothing and shows what to use around you. thats what I see, and thats why it always confuses me when people say that survivorman is better because in reality they both do different situations, but I do think survivorman has flaws because if you watch both of them do the Alaska show, bear tells you why not to eat snow because it can lower your body temp, burn your mouth, and shows you how you can let it melt to drink but les just straight up eats the snow? he found a bottle earlier and decided to try and make a knife but what I think he should have done was use it to hold snow and melt so he could have some water to drink, and use it as a billy can(some might know what that means)
Old 12-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Les Stroud FTW. He takes relatively real situations and shows you how to get out of them alive. That's what he's all about, surviving.

Bear is great for the entertainment factor, but that's mostly what it is. The "situations" he puts himself in are highly dangerous and not necessary most of the time, but it makes for good tv. Some of the stunts he pulls seem like they're straight out of Jackass. Also a lot easier to put on these displays when you've got a camera crew with you, rather than when you're trying to do everything yourself.

If I was ever in a survival situation I'd rather be stuck with Les everytime. Yeah, it might not be flashy, but that's not what surviving is about.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Keep Crawling in Crawling

Chuck Norris for the win
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I prefer survivorman simply because he does things the right way. I watched bear (sp) run from what he thought was a bear in the middle of the night. If you think that is sound advise i suggest you stay out of bear country. Some of the stuff bear does has the potential to get you hurt or killed if you dont do it right. Glisading down a mountain, jumping off cliffs into water that you have no idea of the depth come to mind. Not smart if your goal is to survive.

PS bear has admitted to coming out at night to sleep in hotels. Les either makes it or gets rescued no BS in a motel overnight.

Last edited by punkfan; 12-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Who's your Daddy-0!

I'm telling you guys, if the SHTF this is who I would want with me! http://www.codylundin.com/

He is a real as it gets! No BS with Cody. He calls it like he sees it. If he doesn't know he will say so. He know's how to survive in almost any situation. You should really read about him and get his books. They are great reading that are down to earth, no BS, with humor to make it fun to read!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
I prefer survivorman simply because he does things the right way. I watched bear (sp) run from what he thought was a bear in the middle of the night. If you think that is sound advise i suggest you stay out of bear country. Some of the stuff bear does has the potential to get you hurt or killed if you dont do it right. Glisading down a mountain, jumping off cliffs into water that you have no idea of the depth come to mind. Not smart if your goal is to survive.

PS bear has admitted to coming out at night to sleep in hotels. Les either makes it or gets rescued no BS in a motel overnight.
????? I've seen every episode of survivorman and man vs wild, neither has slept in a hotel, and I haven't seen bear run from a bear, in the alabama show he actually tells his camera crew to get down low cuz a brown bear does come walking down a hill towards them and to the right, and bear has shown how to make a depth gauge for knowing how deep a certain body of water is, yes the glisading is a little dangerous, but if you are trying to get out and to find civilization, you got to take risks.
the only one I've seen run is les and that was in the panama episode with the leopard.
again les doing it right? like i said, in alaska he eats snow to get water...... survival books and experts warn against doing that, bear was the one to advice what harm can happen from doing it and shows that you can melt it.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I'm telling you guys, if the SHTF this is who I would want with me! http://www.codylundin.com/

He is a real as it gets! No BS with Cody. He calls it like he sees it. If he doesn't know he will say so. He know's how to survive in almost any situation. You should really read about him and get his books. They are great reading that are down to earth, no BS, with humor to make it fun to read!
All so true. I know Cody personally and he is a great guy and wont bull shit you in any way.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
????? I've seen every episode of survivorman and man vs wild, neither has slept in a hotel, and I haven't seen bear run from a bear, in the alabama show he actually tells his camera crew to get down low cuz a brown bear does come walking down a hill towards them and to the right, and bear has shown how to make a depth gauge for knowing how deep a certain body of water is, yes the glisading is a little dangerous, but if you are trying to get out and to find civilization, you got to take risks.
the only one I've seen run is les and that was in the panama episode with the leopard.
again les doing it right? like i said, in alaska he eats snow to get water...... survival books and experts warn against doing that, bear was the one to advice what harm can happen from doing it and shows that you can melt it.
Just because they don't show him sleeping in a hotel doesn't mean he didn't do it

From wikipedia:

The show has featured stunts including Grylls climbing cliffs, parachuting from helicopters, balloons, and planes, paragliding, ice climbing, running through a forest fire, wading rapids, eating snakes, wrapping his urine-soaked t-shirt around his head to help stave off the desert heat, drinking urine saved in a rattlesnake skin, drinking fecal liquid from elephant dung, wrestling alligators, field dressing a camel carcass and drinking water from it, eating various "creepy crawlies" [insects], utilizing the corpse of a sheep as a sleeping bag and flotation device, free climbing waterfalls and using a bird guano/water enema for hydration

About 90% of that stuff is unnecessary and dangerous in a survival situation. That, plus Les lived off the grid for about a year. Don't think Bear has done any long-term survival living like that

Sorry, but true survival is boring, from the viewer's perspective. I enjoy watching Bear's show, but I wouldn't follow his advice in a survival situation.

Quote:

I saw his Discovery show and was laughing my ass off. He seemed like a complete tool on there and with his faux native american braids, looked even more absurd. Having said that, reading his website it looks like he's the real deal. Guess I should give him another chance
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Don't think Bear has done any long-term survival living like that
mount everest, crossing the artic and being in the british SAS..... and actually the things he show are whats in the SAS survival book I got, it's actual survival technique's, I know people can call bullshit but I am a huge outdoor survival guy, yes a lot has to do with what the SAS taught him but thats how they survive, and the parachuting from helicopters, balloons, and planes, paragliding is a little much, but the cliff climbing and ice climbing is because he knows how too, and if you know your a really good climber, you can do the same. and you say some of the things he does is unnecessary, what about bugs? you might think it's unnecessary but people all over the word eat those insects, and what if you did find yourself out in open grass/bog land and it starts getting cold? if I found a dead sheep, it would look like a good sleeping bag to me. thats what I'm trying to get the point across, so many people think this stuff is unnecessary but none of them have truly been out in the wild with nothing, just look in the news and see the stories of people getting lost and dying and finding out that they had nothing on them, many think it's not necessary cuz they never been in that situation.
figure this: your the one lost and it's your ass on the line, would you try to go and find one kind of animal to catch like les does and possibly fail, or just snack on so many insects and plants along the way till you do get possibly a animal? atleast then you aren't loosing energy and putting yourself at risk
Old 12-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkscrawler View Post
All so true. I know Cody personally and he is a great guy and wont bull shit you in any way.
I can't wait to hang out with him and pick his brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I saw his Discovery show and was laughing my ass off. He seemed like a complete tool on there and with his faux native american braids, looked even more absurd. Having said that, reading his website it looks like he's the real deal. Guess I should give him another chance
Cody has lived his entire adult life the way he is now. He lives by everything that he teaches and does. His bills total less than $1500 a year because of the way he built his house and uses it. You should read this book first... "98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive!"

I'm big into outdoor survival, camping and being ready to take care of my family during a survival situation. I've read I think every book out there and own them. Cody is hands down the best I've seen at what he does. Hell, he is the Search and Rescue Director for Arizona!!! That says something right there! Just do some reading up on him and watch some of his YouTube videos....
Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Who's your Daddy-0!

Read this! This is what Cody had to say about all of the TV survival shows on now..... http://www.codylundin.com/survive_tv.html
Old 12-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Surviving like Bear demonstrates is great if you are in peak physical condition. If 97% of us tried half the stuff he does, we'd be lying at the bottom of something, bleeding and crying like little girls. Or dead. Most likely dead.

There are several locations he has gone to that look extreme and remote, but are not. The lava rock crevasse from one episode looked to be miles from nowhere, but in reality was just several yards from the highway.

It does make good tv, but don't believe everything you see.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Read this! This is what Cody had to say about all of the TV survival shows on now..... http://www.codylundin.com/survive_tv.html

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #19
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

His books are just like that! There is always a funny ass picture getting the point across all through them!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Surviving like Bear demonstrates is great if you are in peak physical condition. If 97% of us tried half the stuff he does, we'd be lying at the bottom of something, bleeding and crying like little girls. Or dead. Most likely dead.

It does make good tv, but don't believe everything you see.
Oh I know but it still bugs me that everyone thinks les is better, hell even cody said this: "Eating snow to help prevent dehydration is a flawed concept in a "common" winter survival scenario, even though dehydration is just as important to combat in winter cold as it is in summer heat. Newly fallen snow contains only about 10% moisture and 90% air. Once a person is dehydrated, they are technically one to one and half quarts low on body water. The sheer volume of snow that would need to be consumed to achieve hydration would dramatically decrease the body's core temperature through the colder conductive properties of the snow itself within the body. Small amounts of snow eaten periodically when the body is not already hypothermic may be acceptable. Melt snow or ice if at all possible before ingestion if using this source of moisture to prevent dehydration."

and this is clearly what bear had said and done, he melted the snow. but les just straight up ate it saying it's fine. I know television is for show but even on the beginning of the man vs wild show, he points out that he will be put in to situations to show you what you need to do. he is mainly showing everyone what he was taught in the SAS