Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Weird predicament

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Jason's point is very valid and I brought that up during my severance meeting last month. The new company does not want to utilize any of the current IT staff, they want all "new blood" so I am bit eligible to apply.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Not going to happen. Severance is 1 weeks pay for every month of service. I have been here 6 years. I guess I'll just have to play their shitty game.

For 72 Weeks of Severance pay I would be more than happy to help find my replacement. It would be Yes Sir no Mam till March.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

That sounds like the dumbest company ever who ever is running it is the biggest dumbass ever.

Lets get rid of everyone that knows how to do there job and hire people that don't.
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I was in the same position years ago, and had an absolute blast with it. Not the downsizing but I got to interview my replacement, and also got to schedule all the interviews.

I had one of my senior engineers start the interview, explain EXACTLY what the position was for, and then give a tour. After that I came in, introduced myself and handed the applicant my card. Then I asked what position they were interviewing for. They either told me without realizing, or saw the title on my card and tried to make something up.

The looks on people's faces and the awkward silences used to make my day...
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
For 72 Weeks of Severance pay I would be more than happy to help find my replacement. It would be Yes Sir no Mam till March.

Oh shit, I typed month but meant year... I will get 6 weeks severance (peanuts). For 72 weeks of pay I would not be bothered at all by this and would enjoy a nice vacation...

I suppose I will make the best of it, my current bosses have already provided letters for me and a few are going to try and take me with to their new jobs. I'll deal with that part of it in late February and early March. Until then I want to maintain my status with the highest amount of tickets closed and lowest re open percentage that I have held for my entire time here. I take incerdible pride in my work, I was just caught off guard with the whole help us hire your replacement.

Thanks for you input everyone, as always RCC Chit Chat Shrink to the rescue
Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #26
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Not going to happen. Severance is 1 weeks pay for every month of service. I have been here 6 years. I guess I'll just have to play their shitty game.
If trying to apply for the spot is a no go. You could play by their rules but drag your feet really bad. Who's to say "somebody" couldn't set some boobie traps as a form of payback after you leave?
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Help them hire people like Peggy from the Discover commercials.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post
Help them hire people like Peggy from the Discover commercials.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Sorry to hear about this Dicky, I would play it cool because you never know what may happen.

I worked (General Mang.) at a 9 line motorcycle dealer for 16 years. The owner sold to a "Corp" & i was told all would be OK. After 3 Mos. & training some of their crew, I was told that there was nothing for me to do & was give'n 1 mos. pay & was told to leave NOW.

At least they are letting you know about your release.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

I thought that was a great severance package. 6 weeks is still worth it, unless you have a job to jump too right away.

Use the time to find a new job, and if you find one quick then you can jump.
No reason to let pride get in the way of putting food on the table.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

i'd have a hard time not telling them to kiss my ass..
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Rich, if I were you I would just bide my time and just make sure to always be one step ahead of the them. I would just be ready to say yes no problem or "F YOU, F YOU, F YOU, your cool, F YOU, I'm out."

Plus on a brighter side if you really do have to go through the trouble of interviewing and hiring your replacement. You will always have the knowledge of those little important steps or procedures that make things go nice, and easy, that you can just casually forget to ever tell anyone. Then as you walk out the finale time laugh your ass off just knowing how they will be screwed now that you left..

Or.. sense your a mischievous, bored, pissed off, stealth computer ninja just sabotage something before you go

Best of luck to you Rich, Hope all turns out well..
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Tell them to go eat a dick!
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #34
Old guy

It's a test, stick it out. I had 2 friends one time in the same boat as you. Training the guys that are going to replace them. One did it with a good attitude and other didn't. 1 got a a better job with the company and the other got layed off.

Sometimes the best way to clean house ,is to let it clean it's self.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Start looking for work now, the job market still blows. You'll be lucky to find something by March. Set a bunch of time-bomb shenanigans for the next guy to deal with. If Rockedup Ricky is right you can always un-do them.

It sounds like they're trying to either make you quit or find some reason to fire you. I don't know if you live in an at-will employment state, but if you do they can fire you for no reason at all. And generally if you're fired you don't get unemployment.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Who's to say "somebody" couldn't set some boobie traps as a form of payback after you leave?
Yeah, make a worm and set it free.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
It's a test, stick it out. I had 2 friends one time in the same boat as you. Training the guys that are going to replace them. One did it with a good attitude and other didn't. 1 got a a better job with the company and the other got layed off.
I have friends in IT, hell I'm in IT. This isn't all that uncommon in mergers.

Had a buddy play by their rules in what could be a carbon copy of your situation. He just bit his lip stayed in there meet people from the new company doing so. Gave them solid advice and everything in interviews. He is now their IT Manager.

Another friend did the polar opposite (I'm a Bad ASS and own this company). He was let go and is now unemployed and stuck in the rut of "oh well the good jobs aren't out there or easy to find".

Finally another friend did a mix, but to the company I think he came off more good than bad. In that somehow their HR or IT Management team gave him some great recommendation letters and he is in a new job getting paid more and with everything better. He was unemployed about the time his severance ended.

Good luck man
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #38
www.team3sixrc.com

Dicky, Sorry to hear about the job situation.

I once had the same situation. I was hired for a postition as Dock Manager in a Shipping & Recieving warehouse in Elk Grove, Illinois a year before 9/11. After being there for several months, they decided to hire another guy and I was training them for the position as a dock loader and pretty much taught him un-knowingly how to do my job. A month later I was called into the office early one friday morning and was told by my superior that my position was being handed to him because he had a better knowledge of the position. I absolutly was floored!

I looked at my boss and said so let me get this right! I was hired as a manager, warehouse production has increased 22%, this company now has data logs on all inventory coming in and leaving the warehouse with security measures, and we now do all the storage for Time Warner banking in a million a year because of me. and some guy with little to no warehouse experiance is taking over my job that I trained him to do?

He just looked at me an appologized, explained that none of my benifits or pay will be affected and I would be the relief supervisor when needed. And Rick will take over at the beginning of the month. He would appreciate that I help him with the transition.

So I went to lunch really pissed off for a few hours. I thought about it awhile and calmed down and walked into my office. Rick walks in and says "Hey buddy, I hope there is no hard feelings and i appreciate any help you can offer. and then reminds me that company policy is 1 hour for lunch and if I am late again he will have to write me up."

I could feel the blood rushing to me head. So, I jumped on the warehouse inventory system like I was doing my paperwork and I placed a 3 phase encryption 7 point alpha/numerical password on the shipping and inventory system and all data release logs for the customs clearance. Set the date with an activation date of 2 weeks from the day.(It's amazing what one can learn to do in the military working on classified computers,lol) waited until the end of the day and walked into my supervisors office and told him I will be leaving in 2 weeks to seek employement else where.

He then says what I knew he would say, "Look Norm, If the transition is going to be this much trouble and your not able to convert. Don't to come in next week." I say fine and he says he will have my paycheck ready on Monday.

2 Weeks later I get a call at 7:30 in the morning from Rick asking me if I know the password for the computer systems. I play stupid and question "what password, we never had a password and you know this." He says "well there is one now and I cant access the data system" so I just say "its not my problem, contact IT and ask them about it."

that day I recieved several calls from the company. Leaving messages asking for my help and to call as soon as possible. I was on the phone with my girlfriend at the time and I get a call on the other line. It's the owner pretty much begging me to help and they will pay me for my time. I simply told her, "Im sorry I cant help! As I understand, I wasnt qualified for the position. but perhaps the guy who replaced me who never used a computer before coming there might be able to figure it out."

Im not condoning revenge, but as they say revenge is a dish best served cold. I did it without being caught or affecting my future.

Last edited by team3six; 12-29-2010 at 06:49 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Tell them to FOAD! You are toast, period! Why help them in the interview setup, why help pick your replacement? What do you get out of it? Not a damn thing. No matter what they tell you, they wont do squat.

Its about many things, including, and very importantly your self-respect and dignity!

Let them fire you, then collect unemployment - you are going to be let go anyways, why let them kick you in the rocks?

When you look for a new job, tell them you wouldnt setup the interview process, participate in the interviews, and help select your replacement.
A company that has a problem with that can suck eggs too, you dont want to work for people like that anyway.

I cant imagine how crappy your situation is. Worst Ive had to do is train a few people 2 pay grades above me - to do a more advanced and harder job (what a load)
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #40
I'm a stupid C U N T!

you wouldn't do that, thats not ethical at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Dicky, Sorry to hear about the job situation.

I once had the same situation. I was hired for a postition as Dock Manager in a Shipping & Recieving warehouse in Elk Grove, Illinois a year before 9/11. After being there for several months, they decided to hire another guy and I was training them for the position as a dock loader and pretty much taught him un-knowingly how to do my job. A month later I was called into the office early one friday morning and was told by my superior that my position was being handed to him because he had a better knowledge of the position. I absolutly was floored!

I looked at my boss and said so let me get this right! I was hired as a manager, warehouse production has increased 22%, this company now has data logs on all inventory coming in and leaving the warehouse with security measures, and we now do all the storage for Time Warner banking in a million a year because of me. and some guy with little to no warehouse experiance is taking over my job that I trained him to do?

He just looked at me an appologized, explained that none of my benifits or pay will be affected and I would be the relief supervisor when needed. And Rick will take over at the beginning of the month. He would appreciate that I help him with the transition.

So I went to lunch really pissed off for a few hours. I thought about it awhile and calmed down and walked into my office. Rick walks in and says "Hey buddy, I hope there is no hard feelings and i appreciate any help you can offer. and then reminds me that company policy is 1 hour for lunch and if I am late again he will have to write me up."

I could feel the blood rushing to me head. So, I jumped on the warehouse inventory system like I was doing my paperwork and I placed a 3 phase encryption 7 point alpha/numerical password on the shipping and inventory system and all data release logs for the customs clearance. Set the date with an activation date of 2 weeks from the day.(It's amazing what one can learn to do in the military working on classified computers,lol) waited until the end of the day and walked into my supervisors office and told him I will be leaving in 2 weeks to seek employement else where.

He then says what I knew he would say, "Look Norm, If the transition is going to be this much trouble and your not able to convert. Don't to come in next week." I say fine and he says he will have my paycheck ready on Monday.

2 Weeks later I get a call at 7:30 in the morning from Rick asking me if I know the password for the computer systems. I play stupid and question "what password, we never had a password and you know this." He says "well there is one now and I cant access the data system" so I just say "its not my problem, contact IT and ask them about it."

that day I recieved several calls from the company. Leaving messages asking for my help and to call as soon as possible. I was on the phone with my girlfriend at the time and I get a call on the other line. It's the owner pretty much begging me to help and they will pay me for my time. I simply told her, "Im sorry I cant help! As I understand, I wasnt qualified for the position. but perhaps the guy who replaced me who never used a computer before coming there might be able to figure it out."

Im not condoning revenge, but as they say revenge is a dish best served cold. I did it without being caught or affecting my future.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote