Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Asked to leave the park because of RC, should I go back?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

It pisses me off when this stuff happens. We pay taxes to keep the parks maintained and pay the wages of the people who are telling us we can't be there.

I have been confronted several times while crawling in public parks usually they are cool and just want to check out what Im doing. I have been told to leave before to. I went back the next day and was confronted by a different person and they thought my crawler was the coolest thing they have ever seen. I even let him run it for a little bit. It would have been funny to tell him he is breaking there own rules.

I think what it boils down to is confusion it definetly seems to be a gray area. Or maybe it's just some people are power hungry and when they are in a position af authority they can't help but be dicks.

When my daughter and I are crawling together we have never been confronted it is always when im by myself.
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #22
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont slow down View Post
It's a county park. It doesn't make sense. They allow bikes, scooters, roller blades, those 4 wheel car looking bikes, but not a little RC car. I usually have no problems and I too have people come up and check it out, most people think it's pretty cool. Last time I was there this old guy on a electric wheel chair came up and started checking it out, he was really interrested and was into planes. I even pointed him to the LHS because he didn't know where it was.

If it is a county park,Your best bet is the commissioners and the county judge
If its not in the rules and you prove that,they will amend the rules.
Some parks wont allow any radio controlled toys,even the walmart stuff,this is cuz they make it a no tolerance rule,so its fair in theory.

If they allow your crawler,then they must allow others.
Could be there was someone out there being foolish with a plane,heli,or a leg breaker. So they just put a stop to it.

But I would rub shoulders with the judge,try to show him your truck and that its not a hazard.If you get a ticket,he is the who decides in the end if its ok.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #23
dnf

Oh another thing to do (I do this when out of town)

Learn the 1st and last name of your judge

If they come up next time tell them,"Look I already talked to J.D.(judge) about it and he said dont worry about.

It may work,I have gotten out of more than one ticket just by droping the right name.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Haha. Ya I don't want to cause problems, I think it's a bit unclear as to what I'm doing and what my truck actually is. If in fact they have a "blanket" no motorized vehicles policy then it's really a matter of terminology. Is an RC crawler a vehicle? To me a vehicle is something you can ride on. If some moron was racing his Revo around and causing problems then I can see why they asked me to take it somewhere else. I was in a regular area, not a manicured area, it's some rocks sticking out of the ground out in the middle of a grass area. Here is a pic I got last time:

It's kind of by a shelter area but nobody was there and I wasn't bothering anyone.

Like I said I emailed the park director and just asked where the rules were, just to see what they said. If they do have a rule on it, it's not posted and should be. If there is in fact a rule then I will talk to the director about it, my highlift goes like 5mph tops so I really don't see what the problem would be. I would like to be able to take my truck there because it's really hard to find a place close by with good scaler sized rocks. I feel that I have a right to take my truck there since it is a county park. What kind of park doesn't let you do the recreation you want? That's the point of the park. With all the other crap they have going on there (paddle boat rentals, car bike rentals, cabana rentals, train rides, etc) a small RC car is the least of their worries. It's almost like if they can't make money on it they won't allow it. Pets aren't allowed at this park either. It's like a little Nazi park.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
dnf

I think most will agree a vihicle is for transportation of people and or goods.
But they may have had a person buig stupid that started all this.

The reason they use zero tolerance is cuz it takes common sense/personal opinion out of the equasion.

Talk to your county judge,he/she is the untimate deciding factor.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Don't get frustrated with a slow reply to your email. I'm sure the Park Director is on Vacation or they have a holiday schedule. Anyone on this site make stickers? I'd like to see a "RC Rock Crawling Is Not A Crime" sticker in the old "Skateboarding......" format!
SledRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

A remote controlled crawler going 5mph w/ an explosive device under the shell is what they must be afraid of.

I guess it's been a long long long long time since we truly lived in a free country.

Best of luck w/ your efforts.
RC Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

A remote controlled crawler going 5mph w/ an explosive device under the shell is what they must be afraid of.

I guess it's been a long long long long time since we truly lived in a free country.
RC Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
That blows...
We were running our crawlers on some rocks in a park here in Kalispell and a park ranger came up to us and we thought we would be asked to leave. Instead, the ranger played 20 questions and hung out and watched. She though it was pretty cool......
Yeah....then Jeff made the mistake of asking the Forest Circus monkeys about running scale trucks on national forest land and was told by the ranger that we could get the same fines/punishment as if we were caught driving a 1:1 vehicle off the designated trails.
Then he asked about a permit for it and they said a study would have to be done on the possibility of scaring the birds and squirrels.
How friggin stupid is that??
Telling me that while we're out camping, if I let my 3 year old play with his walmart RC truck off the designated roads/trails the ranger is gonna give him a ticket???
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Here is the tel.# to call for 'CODE of LAWS AND ORDINANCES LEE COUNTY, FLORIDA' (239)335-2259

Here is the page with all of the rules and regulations concerning Lee County Parks & Recreation:
http://library.municode.com/index.as...teName=Florida

I would go to the Lee County Parks and Recreation Dept. at 3410 Palm Beach Blvd. Fort Myers, and get clarification on the use of RC hobby vehicles in the park.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzican View Post
Yeah....then Jeff made the mistake of asking the Forest Circus monkeys about running scale trucks on national forest land and was told by the ranger that we could get the same fines/punishment as if we were caught driving a 1:1 vehicle off the designated trails.
Then he asked about a permit for it and they said a study would have to be done on the possibility of scaring the birds and squirrels.
Telling me that while we're out camping, if I let my 3 year old play with his walmart RC truck off the designated roads/trails the ranger is gonna give him a ticket???
Welcomed to the new and improved liberal government. We see that all the time here in California. Basically, they want to you see it out of your car window from the interstate and that's it. Right now the Glamis Dunes are 50/50, half is designated as a perserve and the other half for off road vehicles, but there is a big liberal push to get the whole thing made off-limits to all vehicles, RC included.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #32
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
Here is the tel.# to call for 'CODE of LAWS AND ORDINANCES LEE COUNTY, FLORIDA' (239)335-2259

Here is the page with all of the rules and regulations concerning Lee County Parks & Recreation:
http://library.municode.com/index.as...teName=Florida

I would go to the Lee County Parks and Recreation Dept. at 3410 Palm Beach Blvd. Fort Myers, and get clarification on the use of RC hobby vehicles in the park.
No,these are not vehicles,they will most likely shot you down.
These are hobby grade TOYS,thats the way to word it

Last edited by rock hard; 12-31-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Damn thanks caymin. That will be a big help. I'll dive into that when I get back from work next week. Thanks for the info!
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #34
Who's your Daddy-0!

Me, I would make them make me leave! This is the kind of thing I would wait around for the cops to arrest me for! CNN and Fox News I'm sure would love a story on how a local guy was arrested for playing with a "toy" truck away from everyone else in a public park! I would have told them to pound sand!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzican View Post
The instance I mentioned was when a bunch of us went to play on the big rock at Lone Pine Then we went and played with the scale trucks on the trails and the ranger just asked that we stay on or near the trail. The state park people seem more laid back than their federal counterparts
As far as the Forest Service douchebag goes, I'd say "Ticket me and I'll see you in court, asswipe"
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I think BloodBane has the picture perfect response, print out the rules and carry them with you and make them show the rule that says no RC.

On a side note the other thing that I do is (as mentioned already) memorize the local judges name or the sheriffes name and drop those. Lastly walk into a attorneys office and grab a hand full of business cards and keep a couple in your wallet, so you can throw empty threats at that damn forest jockey and park potty cleaner. "Well here is my attorneys contact info, I am sure he will be in contact with your manager in the next 24 hours". POW !!!!!!!!!!!
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #37

Wow, sounds like a scaled down version of the 1:1 world
T_MADD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishru View Post
in our area it is stated no motorized vehicles. is meant for atv's and such but an rc vehicle does fall under that discription. they could of had a problem at your park with a douche with his revo trearing it up
You ride in/on a vehicle..

Id go back and if they have any problems, Ill tell them to get bent. If they want to call the cops, then let them. Odds are the cop will see how ridiculous it is and just leave. I can see the benefits of the polite and courteous side too but this is pretty crazy. If it was a baja or a nitro that was loud or something, I could understand. But a dudes electric highlift? C'mon.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #39
RCC Addict

maybe your scaler looked too real and they thought they were looking at a real hi lift tundra from far away
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #40
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
If they want to call the cops, then let them. Odds are the cop will see how ridiculous it is and just leave.
That happened at a NWARC comp once. Someone from the neighborhood called the cops on us because we were running our rigs in the local park. A cop showed up, saw what we were doing, asked how long we were going to be there, asked us to leave when we were done, and left.

Later on, the guy who called the cops showed up and was astounded that they didn't run us off. It was pretty funny.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote