Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 100 sled dogs slaughtered in whistler b.c.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
if a business cant be run so that the animals used are safe and reasonably cared for year round and not discarded like trash, then its not a viable business and has no business existing
That statement is one of the problems...animals being used for business.

Greyhound racing is one of the worst examples of cruelty of this type.

My wife and I spent four years involved with a local Greyhound rescue organization after we adopted our boy from them, and we learned many things about Greyhound racing and the false veil of "humane treatment" that covers it.

It is getting better since legislation is slowly passing, however Greyhounds are still put down on a daily basis.

Many cases similar to the Sled Dog story have been documented. Dozens of Greys being put down at gun point, scooped up into a loader bucket and buried in a pit trackside.

Obscene to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
This is the 1st time I have heard about such a example.....so this is not the norm and I doubt we will see anything like it again any time soon.

My reply above disagrees with you. I wasn't implying that this was limited to Sled Dogs.

Most people love animals..........I know I do.......that being said he (my dog)is my responsablilty,but he cant have individual rights.If they did then
you wouldnt have the right to collar or leash them as that would be bondage
You wouldnt be able to fence them in as that would be jail

Animals do have individual rights...

The right to proper care, food, water, medical attention and a safe environment among them.

Leashes and fences are part of that, but it's the type of leash or fence that matters.

Wrap a barbed choker or an invisible fence collar around your neck for five minutes and get back to me

Or perhaps cram yourself into a fenced in area that you can barely turn around in and stay there for half, if not the entire day.

It's the lack of judgement and poor choices that lead to many a sad end.

Animals are treated very well by the majority of pet owners
and those who dont treat animals fairly are dealt with,same as bad parents

I agree with you, but unfortunately there aren't enough humane law enforcement officers to deal with them all.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
Im not defending this guy at all but PTSD is something that sets in AFTER the event (hense the "post" part). Im sure when this was happening and if he was truly upset, he most likely felt "numb". Then when it really sank in on what happened, he felt the effects.
But yeah, definitely a messed up situation and alot of sick individuals. Hopefully justice will be served.

Uh, yea, I think we got that part.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
Its a hard fact that animals have to go down,but not like that...
My brother in law works for a harse trainer.

He told me just this last week that he saw his boss (old timer)
crieng his eyes out sitting ontop of a horse.He didnt know what was up,later another worker told him that he found out that his horse had some illness and wouldnt live long.
Now the fact is that horses are worked,raced and loved pets.
They may arguably be the animal we use most,both past and present.
And horse owners love thier animals....
But sadly when the time comes it will be one of two things happen
You'll put them down and someone will have to bury/burn them,or you can sell em and someone will make them soap.
my dad used to buy/rescue horses from the dog food factory when he was young..alot of my family in alberta is involved in ranching and are part of the calgary staampede..rodeo,s are not the nicest things for the animals either
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Sad very sad just gave my dog a big hug
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
That statement is one of the problems...animals being used for business.

Greyhound racing is one of the worst examples of cruelty of this type.

My wife and I spent four years involved with a local Greyhound rescue organization after we adopted our boy from them, and we learned many things about Greyhound racing and the false veil of "humane treatment" that covers it.

It is getting better since legislation is slowly passing, however Greyhounds are still put down on a daily basis.

Many cases similar to the Sled Dog story have been documented. Dozens of Greys being put down at gun point, scooped up into a loader bucket and buried in a pit trackside.

Obscene to say the least.
i agree 100%, i remember hearing about the greyhounds..if homes cant be found for healthy animals then the whole deal should be shut down
i think it can be done ethically is all i,m saying, my family is involved in the cattle rodoe biz..which is brutal and i,m not really cool with that shit, but these sports/industries arent going away..better regulation and enforcement is needed to make sure working animals arent abused

Last edited by vonclod; 02-01-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
1. It is not ok to kill dogs or other domestic pets, he got a fine.

2. No they didn't
2.) Pm sent I dont want to thread hijack.
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #47
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
i agree 100%, i remember hearing about the greyhounds..if homes cant be found for healthy animals then the whole deal should be shut down
i think it can be done ethically is all i,m saying, my family is involved in the cattle rodoe biz..which is brutal and i,m not really cool with that shit, but these sports/industries arent going away..better regulation and enforcement is needed to make sure working animals arent abused
I dont know,I think we are pretty good with our animals,yes we push them..
But we push ourselfs too.
Other cultures are much,much worse
bullfighting is horrible,its one thing to kill an animal
its a whole nother ball of wax to take your time doing it,one sword at a time,while the crowd cheers to the death,feaking sickens me to the core
And dog and cock fights.....we are nothing like that with rodeo animals.
and in comparison our animals are pampered and spoiled
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 100 sled dogs slaughtered in whistler b.c.

i heard an update the other day so i,ll fill y,all in..first trial date and venue have been changed due to death threats..not surprised
B.C. sled-dog trial changes venue due to threats - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Wow, I had never even heard of this. I say let people fulfill there threats. Or tie this guy by an ankle to a sled and drag him across Canada. I would even get a passport and bring my husky along. Maybe take a turn pulling the sled.
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #50

i would get as violent as i needed to to keep somebody from killing dogs like that and i wouldnt think twice about it. anybody who had any knowledge of that act being committed and not doing something to stop it is a complete pos and deserves to rot in hell.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

People just don't make any sense to me. I don't know how they can hurt an animal that is defenseless. I have a Yellow Lab/Husky mix who was rescued from a unscrupulous breeder and he's my best buddy.
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Many people treat animals they work with merely as property. Look at farmers too- I was horrified as a little kid when i toured a chicken farm and any chicken that was underdeveloped was stomped to death and thrown in the pig food pile without any compassion for the poor chicken.
Personally, I don't hold animals in the same regard as people- but killing a big pile of them is pretty f'd up. PETA kills more domesticated animals than any other entity- why not start with them instead of some nutjob with a one-time episode?

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
MuddyOval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval View Post
Many people treat animals they work with merely as property. Look at farmers too- I was horrified as a little kid when i toured a chicken farm and any chicken that was underdeveloped was stomped to death and thrown in the pig food pile without any compassion for the poor chicken.
Personally, I don't hold animals in the same regard as people- but killing a big pile of them is pretty f'd up. PETA kills more domesticated animals than any other entity- why not start with them instead of some nutjob with a one-time episode?

Peta Kills Animals
the guy isnt some nutjob though..this was a finacial decision..evil maybee on someones part..and you can be sure this kinda thing happens alot..bigger issue than just this incident
Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

You have to be a nutjob to exterminate a large amount of animals that could have been sold, even if very cheaply. I get that it was a financial decision, but the dogs had a market value... although it may have been low considering the location. It would have been cheaper to give them away.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You have to be a nutjob to exterminate a large amount of animals that could have been sold, even if very cheaply. I get that it was a financial decision, but the dogs had a market value... although it may have been low considering the location. It would have been cheaper to give them away.
well the dogs were brought in to do sled ride tours during the winter olympics and once they were over there was no need and no real value anymore, more a liability and supposedly the guy had made some attempts to find some homes including i believe the s.p.c.a...not sure how true that is but i recall the spca doing some backpeddling so probasbly some truth to it but no takers..hard to place these dogs i guess due to their nature..not gonna be rover the family dog, but some sledders came out after this incident and said that they would of taken some and were never asked to take any so not sure how hard he tried..very sad story, i guess the truth will come out during the trial
Old 05-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #56
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
Don't people in BC know about snow mobiles?

There are other people in North America that use sled dogs for racing or travel.(like Alaska) The people involved in executing the dogs a just a pieces of shit plain and simple.

Quote:
Wow, I had never even heard of this.
Sorry to say it happened in my state some years ago.(not as many dogs though) Some people are just stupid inbred lazy pieces of shit.

Last edited by dkf; 05-28-2012 at 08:21 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Don't people in BC know about snow mobiles?

There are other people in North America that use sled dogs for racing or travel.(like Alaska) The people involved in executing the dogs a just a pieces of shit plain and simple.

Sorry to say it happened in my state some years ago.(not as many dogs though) Some people are just stupid inbred lazy pieces of shit.
Just curious how many dogs you've rescued. Anyone who feels that strongly about it must not be so lazy as to let these things happen without trying to save the dogs.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #58
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just curious how many dogs you've rescued. Anyone who feels that strongly about it must not be so lazy as to let these things happen without trying to save the dogs.
Not that its really any of your business but... 2 thus far and that is only counting dogs.

Last edited by dkf; 05-28-2012 at 09:42 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

All my animals have been rescue animals. 3 dogs and 5 cats....
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Both of my dogs were rescues (1 Husky, 1 mutt). As were the 3 cats I had many moons ago. My snake was some kids throw away as it got to big.
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote