Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: posts like texts... WTF!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

I guess lead paint chips really are that tasty.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
Since when has America been a race?
i'm talking about singling out one race when ROFL isn't a "black" thing. allow me to educate....

"Ebonics (a portmanteau of “ebony” and “phonics”) is a term that was originally intended to refer to the language of all people descended from enslaved Black Africans, particularly in West Africa, the Caribbean, and North America"
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #43
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dishmon View Post
i'm talking about singling out one race when ROFL isn't a "black" thing. allow me to educate....

"Ebonics (a portmanteau of “ebony” and “phonics”) is a term that was originally intended to refer to the language of all people descended from enslaved Black Africans, particularly in West Africa, the Caribbean, and North America"
Where did anyone post that the acronyms were associated with black people? I saw the post that mentioned Ebonics, but..I think you're seeing something else here...
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobCrawler View Post
Where did anyone post that the acronyms were associated with black people? I saw the post that mentioned Ebonics, but..I think you're seeing something else here...
here ya go..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I honestly believe grammar will soon be extinct. Technology has a lot to do with this but texting can not take all the blame. We are to blame. What hope is there once American society accepts ebonics as a language?

Has anyone heard a teen use L.O.L. while speaking? That really blew my mind!
he brought it up and we weren't even talking about it. sure harley's and katana's are bikes but roll up to a harley hang-out and see if you don't get some dirty looks.
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
I want someone to make a entire sentance with just using those, that would be hella funny

Lets bring this up too. I think it fits well with the topic. I realize it's a much smaller problem but CUT. THAT. SHIT. OUT.

I've only been in Norcal 4 years (CSUC) but I have yet to meet ONE person that looks to be over 30 that says this word.

See the squiggly red line under it? That means NO.

In all seriously. I seen some really distrubin trends in my younger sisters writing skillz (HS sophomore). Her handwriting is just terrible and her spelling prowess is even worser.

It's certainly a product of growing up with technology.
DunkinMcNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

This thread is the exact reason that I don't have texting enabled on my cell phone. If someone can't talk or leave a message, it just wasn't all that important as far as I'm concerned.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

I see the benefits of texting at work, with it being a stealth way to communicate something without your partner or patients overhearing, but I also see the drawbacks as well. People that wreck their cars trying to text while driving, one guy wrecked his motorcycle texting while operating the bike, one person even fell into a fountain texting while walking in a mall! People need to learn some self-control. Maybe there needs to be a section added to english classes about when it is appropriate to type in txt-speak and when it ISN'T appropriate, such as most of the time...
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #48
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dishmon View Post
he brought it up and we weren't even talking about it. sure harley's and katana's are bikes but roll up to a harley hang-out and see if you don't get some dirty looks.
hmm, It turns out I may have used the word Ebonics incorrectly. My intention was not meant as slander towards any race but to illustrate that we, as a nation, have become so accepting of our own dumbing down that we are actually encouraging our children that it's ok to cut corners. That if it's to hard to do it right, don't worry about it, we can make accommodations and change the rules to make it easier for them.
Diligence, hard work and personal responsibility have been replaced with whining, complacency and entitlement.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Diligence, hard work and personal responsibility have been replaced with whining, complacency and entitlement.
Unfortunately this is all too obviously true.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinMcNut View Post
Lets bring this up too. I think it fits well with the topic. I realize it's a much smaller problem but CUT. THAT. SHIT. OUT.

I've only been in Norcal 4 years (CSUC) but I have yet to meet ONE person that looks to be over 30 that says this word.

See the squiggly red line under it? That means NO.
I'm 21...... still got a few years to go before it's classified as stupid to me. The computer here don't do spell checks, so i never saw a red squiggly line
and by all means I'm doing just fine in my writing classes. I can write a paper and get an A because I dont use slang or lol in papers, just when it comes to txt and threads. I think of it as the same as being seriouse: why be serious/spell perfectly all the time? do it only when needed and any other time, who cares. as long as I know I have the ability to check my grammer and spelling when needed I think I'm fine

Last edited by demonoid369; 04-27-2011 at 12:44 PM.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

But that's the point. It's all fine and good that you know you can spell and use proper grammar and punctuation. But when you choose not to use that ability in public, does it really matter that you know you can? Everyone else that comes in contact with you will form an impression of you. On an internet message board/forum, that means that they are seeing not only what you are saying, but how you are saying it as well. If you don't bother to make an effort to present your thoughts clearly and effectively, you come accross as a disorganized, lazy person that doesn't care. If you want intelligent, thoughtful replies, you need to ask intelligent, thoughtful questions. It's as simple as that.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
But that's the point. It's all fine and good that you know you can spell and use proper grammar and punctuation. But when you choose not to use that ability in public, does it really matter that you know you can? Everyone else that comes in contact with you will form an impression of you. On an internet message board/forum, that means that they are seeing not only what you are saying, but how you are saying it as well. If you don't bother to make an effort to present your thoughts clearly and effectively, you come accross as a disorganized, lazy person that doesn't care. If you want intelligent, thoughtful replies, you need to ask intelligent, thoughtful questions. It's as simple as that.
Well said.

wen i c sumtimg liek dis i lol then hit bak butin. If you can't take the time to spell it out properly, I'm not taking the time to answer. Or even to decode the fawking thing.

Attention texters: Your typing looks like you just hit the keyboard with your special helmet. Or your dick.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
Well said.

wen i c sumtimg liek dis i lol then hit bak butin.

Digger, ^ that is what I'm trying to point out, that type of spelling and grammar is stupid, but just saying hella or forgetting to put the ' in can't shouldn't justify any thought as to he or she is dumb and I shouldn't reply to his thread. When someone makes a simple mistake I don't hold that against them and leave that as my only impression. If someone else on this forum was to say hella, I am not going to assume or think the person is lazy.

Last edited by demonoid369; 04-27-2011 at 03:45 PM.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

It's a generation thing mostly; the curriculum is being dumbed down to the point that kids doing their trade can get though with a 45% pass. Kids in primary (grade) school are not being read stories to stimulate their imagination. They're not being made to make up and write their own stories. This is one of the biggest problems and it's happening right from the start of their schooling. This is from experiance working in the school system; there are so many stupid kids coming through the system, it's scary to think what they will do with our society and country.
I know with my boy, he gets books EVERY night, no excues. Slang, talking lazy and the rest of it is not tolerated. If I can at least do that for him, he's got one hell of a head start on the rest of the half-wits we've go coming.
slowlearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #55
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
I know with my boy, he gets books EVERY night, no excues.
When my daughter was younger she'd have to read books to use the internet. 30 mins of book reading = 30 mins of web browsing. She's been on the honor roll her first 3 years of high school and next year, senior year, is all art classes. She got all of her academic requirements out of the way... so now, I pretty much let her do what she wants when it comes to school. I trust her to bust her butt doing her homework and studying for test.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Digger, ^ that is what I'm trying to point out, that type of spelling and grammar is stupid, but just saying hella or forgetting to put the ' in can't shouldn't justify any thought as to he or she is dumb and I shouldn't reply to his thread. When someone makes a simple mistake I don't hold that against them and leave that as my only impression. If someone else on this forum was to say hella, I am not going to assume or think the person is lazy.
The use of "hella" or the occasional missing apostrophe or period is not what I'm talking about. While it is true that recent slang usage by older people seems almost funny. I wasn't aiming at your post or you specifically, I was mainly pointing out the posts that are difficult to read because the spelling is awful, there is NO punctuation at all, and while it might have been faster and easier to type it that way, it sure takes a lot longer to read that way. The people that post in such a manner are the ones that come accross as disorganized, lazy individuals and those posts will NEVER get a reply from me. If you at least make an effort, then I am not referring to you!