Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The sky is falling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #61
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
And I cant believe religion was actually mentioned here. What a mentallity...
Religion is in everything. You spend 2000 years promoting something, and some of it is going to get engrained into society no matter what. Its surprising (or not) how deep religion runs in this country.

I saw a news clip a couple of weeks ago where a congresswoman used the "fact" that "the world is only 6000 years old, and God told us to us it as we see fit" to fortify her stance on the mining debate they were having.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 04-26-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Religion is in everything. You spend 2000 years promoting something, and some of it is going to get engrained into society no matter what. Its surprising (or not) how deep religion runs in this country.

I saw a news clip a couple of weeks ago where a congresswoman used the "fact" that "the world is only 6000 years old, and God told us to us it as we see fit" to fortify her stance on the mining debate they were having.

I was being a little sarcastic, although Ive had people tell me for the last couple weeks I need to callibrate my sarcasm emitter. So Im not suprised at that.

I agree. Religion gets used as much if not more than any agenda out there.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #63
Suck it up!

Quote:
I agree. Religion gets used as much if not more than any agenda out there.
Yup. For a country of "free religion", Christianity swings pretty heavily in our legislation. But thats another subject.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 04-26-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yup. For a country of "free religion", Christianity swings pretty heavily in our legislation. But thats another subject.

Indeed it is.

Back closer to OT, it just amazes me how many people in this world seem to not have any sense of...IDK, "duty" to the planet. Regardless of how you think we/the earth all came to be, we are the only thing like us for lightyears. And for me, that in itself seems kinda special (no homo).

No Im not some hippy t&*$ h!&*@#, and Im not too naive to understand that people as a mass will never truely come together regardless of purpose, but things like this thread are what come to mind when people ask for a response when I tell them "society is lost".
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Indeed it is.

Back closer to OT, it just amazes me how many people in this world seem to not have any sense of...IDK, "duty" to the planet. Regardless of how you think we/the earth all came to be, we are the only thing like us for lightyears. And for me, that in itself seems kinda special (no homo).

No Im not some hippy t&*$ h!&*@#, and Im not too naive to understand that people as a mass will never truely come together regardless of purpose, but things like this thread are what come to mind when people ask for a response when I tell them "society is lost".

I dunno.

Living in Boulder, my life in inundated with a lot of feelings and hippy half truths about the environment.

I had some dreadlock snatch lecture at me about using the 100% recycled King soopers bags instead of the cloth ones like hers.

I pointed out that the Styrofoam cups, AA batteries and plastic tampons in one of her bags were equal, or maybe actually worse for mother earth, than all my recycled plastic.

she shut up, then left to go pick lice from her scalp.

But @ the same time, I have family on the western slope, who view the environment as simply a disposable means for their entertainment,

as they go plaster rabbits and deer from the comfort of my gramp's pickup.

So yea, a lot of scientific, or whats called measurable scientific data, that is used to back up al gore and the adbusters liberal dribble drama is pure bullshit.

However, denying that our current way of modern life has, is, and will have a negativley and irreversable impact on the natural world arround us, seems just as arrogant and full of shit.

there is a nice rational middle ground somewhere, where we take responsibility and "DUTY" for our actions, but dont like, have to participate in drum circles and become vegan.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
Great. 40 nuke plants with Integy build quality
I think alot of them will be the westinghouse ap1000 ( American company but im sure all parts are built in country to keep cost low) , its a new ( relatively new?) quick assemble plant ( 30 or so pre built sections make it up) that can be built and up and running in half the time it usually takes. They are also supposed to have some good back up stuff in place like a gravity fed cooling tower that needs no electricity in the event of emergency ( Japan could have used that ! )

Quote:

And it has no middle class. If you're there, you're either the ultra-rich living in excess, or one of the poor working class. I've got a freind that lives near there, and said the buildings are cool, but its still a shithole.

Oil companies are one of the largest contributors when election time comes around. You can guess to which side a large portion of that money goes....
I never said it was nice just that it has grown alot in the past decade or so, im sure it is an interesting place to viset for a breif period of time

I couldn't tell you which side gets more, if I had to guess I would think it would be pretty even? They also sway decisions during non election time, on things like drilling, eco stuff, new technologys, clean air acts, carbon tax blah blah. I'm sure that more goes on that anyone really knows ?

For the op, I don't think it is right they close public land for off road use, if anything they need to be more focused on the real polluters and bigger issues. I would think more trails open to the public would be a better idea, it gets people off the couch and into nature.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #67
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrwannabe View Post
if anything they need to be more focused on the real polluters and bigger issues.
They can't afford to.

Quote:
I would think more trails open to the public would be a better idea, it gets people off the couch and into nature.
You would think. Right now its more like "reconnect with nature, but for god's sake don't go out into it".
Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
They can't afford to.

You would think. Right now its more like "reconnect with nature, but for god's sake don't go out into it".
maybe they should cut more on education, fire/emt police but seriously im sure there is a ton of crap they could cut out of the budget or whatever but won't.

when youve got a 60" hd tv its like your outside

I try to go camping often and it amazes me the amout of trash i see people leave on and off the trail at state parks
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #69
Suck it up!

Quote:
maybe they should cut more on education,
Thats the ticket, make everybody stupider.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thats the ticket, make everybody stupider.
It's "more stupider".....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #71
RCC Addict

I was being sarcastic, our public school system sucks they should be putting more into that.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #72
RCC Addict

Money is not the issue on our school systems. We as a country spend more per student than any of the leading countries in education. The problem is our methods and lack of discipline in the schools, both behaviorally and academically. The top performing countries promote exceptional-ism and high performance while we support mediocrity and ignorance. You won't find top students speaking like morons using street slang and valley girl speech. You won't find them spending hours on end texting and screwing off on facebook. They won't be out with friends all hours of the night getting high and partying trying to see who can get the most STD's in a week.

We as a nation dumb our kids down, give them less responsibility, and reward mediocrity. We hold high performers back so those performing the worst don't get left behind. We refuse to actually fail poor performing students and rid ourselves of poor performing faculty. Parents will vehemently defend their kids against any and all discipline in the school systems and lambaste faculty who have to deal with their hooligans.

We waste more time worrying about people being offended by certain curriculum and catering to everyones damaged little psyches than educating.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #73
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Money is not the issue on our school systems.
We waste more time worrying about people being offended by certain curriculum and catering to everyones damaged little psyches than educating.
Every word is true.

Here's the but...

Like any other government funded program, when budgets are cut, there is no thought into improving the efficiency of said programs, only who is getting fired, and what important thing will we have to live without. Efficiency is the goal, but gluttony reigns.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
The problem is our methods and lack of discipline in the schools, both behaviorally and academically.
Yep, they called the program "no child left behind".....I call it "no child progressing forward"....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Every word is true.

Here's the but...

Like any other government funded program, when budgets are cut, there is no thought into improving the efficiency of said programs, only who is getting fired, and what important thing will we have to live without. Efficiency is the goal, but gluttony reigns.
Waste in Schools is ridiculous for sure, multi million dollar stadiums, extravagant facilities, etc etc.

Schools don't need to be palaces, they need to be places of education.

This is the whole problem with large centrally controlled entities, they are extremely inefficient. The majority of control of all of these items should be at the local level. This is a reason I give to small local charities as opposed to large multi national ones. Greed and corruption become institutionalized and rampant.

Of course I think there needs be a school voucher system that can be used at public or private schools. Force the schools to be better! There is no reasonable argument against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Yep, they called the program "no child left behind".....I call it "no child progressing forward"....
Yeah, thanks to GWB for that pile of garbage, and let's not forget the late Ted Kennedy, boy did he get the leftover trash from that gene pool.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote