Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: WTF ....250K = Corporate Jet?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #141
Suck it up!

Check this out: WalMart costs tax payers $1.5b a year for public assistance for their employees. More WalMart employees are on that assistance than in any other corporation in the nation.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/wal-m...-of-low-price/

Meanwhile, the Walton kids are worth many billions each.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #142
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Check this out: WalMart costs tax payers $1.5b a year for public assistance for their employees. More WalMart employees are on that assistance than in any other corporation in the nation.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/wal-m...-of-low-price/

Meanwhile, the Walton kids are worth many billions each.
I was union once........ever heard of salting?I was part of a group that got our foot in the door to begine the salting at non union shops.I was young a liked confrantation back then,I also didnt really care about the corruption and ideas of the union.

After a while my own ideas of what is right and wrong created a conflict.
I will NEVER trust anything a union says,they as as corrupt or worse than any group you can find IMO.

So given that,the video lacks an honest perception,and is therefore of no true value to base or pursuade any opinion I currently hold.

All groups will by nature focus on what benifits thier agenda,this is true for the buisness as much as the union,the dems as much as the rep. The industry as much as the invoromentalists.
I have found that in the middle of each side of the arguements is often close to truth.

Last edited by rock hard; 07-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #143
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
All groups will by nature focus on what benifits thier agenda,this is true for the buisness as much as the union,the dems as much as the rep. The industry as much as the invoromentalists.
I have found that in the middle of each side of the arguements is often close to truth.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #144
Suck it up!

Quote:
So given that,the video lacks an honest perception,and is therefore of no true value to base or pursuade any opinion I currently hold.
There's some truth in that vid. The Super Walmart in town took out a whole mall's worth of small businesses. Seriously, there is an entire mall sitting empty that used to be full of shops. They came in and undercut over 2 dozen small businesses run by local people.

I've also seen it in the small town I grew up in. It had a cool brick street downtown area full of little shops. The city decided to let Walmart build a store, and within a year half of those places were closed. There is some businesses there, and the city is damn near paying people to bring their small business in so that it won't all go to shit. They've also put a choke hold on WalMart, and will not let them expand or build a new shopping center inside the city limits.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #145
dnf

Quote:
There's some truth in that vid. The Super Walmart in town took out a whole mall's worth of small businesses. Seriously, there is an entire mall sitting empty that used to be full of shops. They came in and undercut over 2 dozen small businesses run by local people.

I've also seen it in the small town I grew up in. It had a cool brick street downtown area full of little shops. The city decided to let Walmart build a store, and within a year half of those places were closed. There is some businesses there, and the city is damn near paying people to bring their small business in so that it won't all go to shit. They've also put a choke hold on WalMart, and will not let them expand or build a new shopping center inside the city limits.
I like small buisness,but its not walmart or homedepts fault they are gone.

Its not becouse of mcdonalds,braums and whataburger that there are very few
mom and pop burger joints on main street.

There are good buisness plans,and not so good,buying power is some of it,but its more about convenience.Most walmarts are 24-7 and have a little bit everything.also look at cvs and walgreens,they are knocking out the mom and pop pharmacies then too.So what then,we dumb down our kids so the dumb ones dont feel bad,and we hold back people with great buisness models so people with other buisness can survive.With that mindset we would have to say that every franchise is bad for mom and pop places,and maybe they are.
bad for mom and pop places,but they are not bad in general,oor for the general public.

But one part of a smart buisness plan is to increase your traffic by tempting,or giving a reason for patrons to visit y9our store instead of another.

I have 2 neighboors (brothers) who both started at walmart while in h.s.
Both still work there and are very pleased and are doing well for themselfs.
I prefer krogger for food,and pennys for clothes.But to each thier own.

only reason people rag on walmart is cuz they are the big dog,everyone has to have something to complain about.If ot wasnt walmart it would be target,ect,ect.

The reason small buiness fails is poor planning,execution,timming ect.
its a competetive market all around,be sharp,ready to adjust and meet the needs of your patrons and you'll survive.
If not they will take thier dollars where thier needs are better meet.

Last edited by rock hard; 07-02-2011 at 05:45 PM.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

I shopped at walmart today and a mom and pop.. both had the items I needed.. I also spent money with a couple great online vendors...

My money is on MEGA online stores kicking wal marts ass to the curb within in the next 5 to 10 years... Gas keeps going up, Health care keeps going up, a location that is customer friendly has allot of over head.. people are freaking lazy and busy.

All the frame work is in place for a mega online store to take over.. Apple will probably have app out for home stock replenishment real soon..

Mom and Pops that are smart could actually be in better shape for the future with internet non brick and mortar stores..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #147
Suck it up!

Quote:
I like small buisness,but its not walmart or homedepts fault they are gone.

The reason small buiness fails is poor planning,execution,timming ect.
its a competetive market all around,be sharp,ready to adjust and meet the needs of your patrons and you'll survive.
If not they will take thier dollars where thier needs are better meet.

Walmart gets local subsidies and tax breaks to build their stores within city limits. Not all, but a lot. Local small business gets nothing.

Walmart can buy cheap because they buy in bulk, so they then sell cheap. Local small businesses cannot.

Walmart corporate can temporarily prop up a store that is having a bad year. Local small businesses cannot.

Like it was said in that doc, the only advantage small businesses has is knowledge of the product and personal service. That is not always enough to overcome price differences.

We also have a Lowes and and Home Depot (right next to each other, which is pretty fawkin' funny if you ask me) and they have all but killed the local hardware stores. The only reason they haven't gone under is that they have shifted their focus towards construction.

Small businesses simply cannot compete with multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporations who build their stores pretty much anywhere they want to.

My brother in law is a mid level bigwig at Walmart corporate in Bentonville. He loves his job and he loves Walmart.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My brother in law is a mid level bigwig at Walmart corporate in Bentonville. He loves his job and he loves Walmart.
Down with that capitalist corporate fat cat!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #149
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Down with that capitalist corporate fat cat!
Oh if I could just be a fly on the wall at that family dinner!!!
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #150
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrZod View Post
Oh if I could just be a fly on the wall at that family dinner!!!
We've had that discussion. He and my other brother in law (works in real estate finance) were both pro-WalMart. Most of the rest of us were not.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #151
Suck it up!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #152
Quarry Creeper

on top of the above issues with walmart, i know they tend to have a lower quality product there mainly because they use strong arm tactics on vendors to get a lower price. on some of the items that they offer cheaper than competition they have sku's just for walmart. one example of this i had a friend who had puchased tires from there, the rubber they used was of a lower quality compound than the exact same tire he purchased next from another vendor paying a bit more. the walmart tires he did not keep for long because he had trouble stopping on them
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #153
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
on top of the above issues with walmart, i know they tend to have a lower quality product there mainly because they use strong arm tactics on vendors to get a lower price.
I've got a Coleman cooler from there and I'm convinced its nothing more than a hollow plastic box. A bag of ice only lasts a couple hours and it'll chill whatever surface its sitting on.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #154
I wanna be Dave

I used to work for a factory that made items for wally world.. The private label(said walmart on package) stuff was different... But the stuff that had our name on it which sold right beside it was the exact same stuff that sold in any other store.

So if its a walmart exclusive item you are probably right its different.. If it has the SKU and item description as the stuff at Kmart its the same its in your head..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote