Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gun and knife picture thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2020, 01:32 AM   #1541
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gun and knife picture thread!

HyperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #1542

Also posting here because this thread doesn't get enough love.

I got a SOG Terminus XR pocket knife. Carbon fiber makes everything cooler.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #1543
Quarry Creeper

^^Very nice Tim!
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #1544
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I got a SOG Terminus XR pocket knife.
That is a great looking knife! Love the carbon fiber!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #1545

Thanks guys! I love carbon fiber too - so much.

Also picked up a Benchmade Bugout and a clone.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #1546
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
...I got a SOG Terminus XR pocket knife. Carbon fiber makes everything cooler. ...

That's pretty slick!

I recently picked up a new Syderco. It's a real monster!...
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #1547

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
That's pretty slick!

I recently picked up a new Syderco. It's a real monster!...
Thank you! "Monster" that's funny! Very cool little knife you got there! Spyderco makes some great stuff.

My girlfriend said my addictive personality (relatively new and I'm not sure why - concussions probably ) has moved from RC's to knives and I can't say she's wrong.

I ordered this a while back when I ordered my SOG Terminus XR, but apparently it went out of stock so I just got it now.

This is a Fox Baby Core knife. Really cool little "chode" of a knife. I'm loving orange scales. Light blue (like my Grom) and orange have somehow surpassed red as my favorite color. This one also has anodized blue inner spacer thingy of which I forget the name at the moment.

I really wish I could get my hands on a spare set of scales so I could try to color fill the lines. I think that would look sick.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #1548
I wanna be Dave

Default Gun and knife picture thread!

All these fancy knives and I still EDC my Victorinox Tinkerer. This one is maybe 10 years old and on its second set of side plates, multiple toothpicks, and probably 2nd or 3rd tweezer. I have a similar one for work, too but it’s beat up and greasy. It’s more than 10 years old and shows it. It’s pulled more steel wickers and splinters than can count. Gotten enough beef jerky out of my teeth to make a new bag of it. Pried open, unscrewed, cut open, cut through, stabbed, modified, and tweaked 1,000s or things. Still just tinkering along today.

Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #1549
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
...This is a Fox Baby Core knife. Really cool little "chode" of a knife...
That's a cool one, too.

I always have pocket carry stuff with me.
Recently I switched over to keeping stuff on my keyring; knife, micro pen, flashlight, lighter, etc.
Leaves my front pocket open for other stuff, usually a Glock.

I've recently become interested in small knives and cleaver type blades, too. IDK why?
I've had my eye on a Boker Magnum Lil Friend Micro; cheap, but looks like it'd be easy to carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
All these fancy knives and I still EDC my Victorinox Tinkerer...
Nothin' wrong with that!

Last edited by j0e; 06-24-2020 at 06:47 AM. Reason: cleaver, not clever!
Old 06-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #1550

Quote:
All these fancy knives and I still EDC my Victorinox Tinkerer. This one is maybe 10 years old and on its second set of side plates, multiple toothpicks, and probably 2nd or 3rd tweezer. I have a similar one for work, too but it’s beat up and greasy. It’s more than 10 years old and shows it. It’s pulled more steel wickers and splinters than can count. Gotten enough beef jerky out of my teeth to make a new bag of it. Pried open, unscrewed, cut open, cut through, stabbed, modified, and tweaked 1,000s or things. Still just tinkering along today.
Nothing wrong with that. They are the Chevy small blocks of the knife world - tried and true, powerful, good for pretty much every scenario and ultra reliable.

I had one as a kid, although maybe it was a copy, and I wish I could find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
That's a cool one, too.

I always have pocket carry stuff with me.
Recently I switched over to keeping stuff on my keyring; knife, micro pen, flashlight, lighter, etc.
Leaves my front pocket open for other stuff, usually a Glock.

I've recently become interested in small knives and clever type blades, too. IDK why?
I've had my eye on a Boker Magnum Lil Friend Micro; cheap, but looks like it'd be easy to carry.
Thank you.

These little knives are cool. They seem useless at first sight, but think about it. Most of us use our EDC knives to open boxes and not much else during the average day. Even the tiny knives can do this. Heck, a dull car key is often sufficient for this task.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #1551
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Gotten enough beef jerky out of my teeth to make a new bag of it.
Lol!
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #1552
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight
Gotten enough beef jerky out of my teeth to make a new bag of it.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #1553
Rock Crawler

4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #1554

Got another knife. This time a Honey Badger. It's a cheap, Chinese knife, but it's getting rave reviews. I have to say I was happily surprised with it when it came. I mainly got it because I wanted to try customizing/modifying a knife and obviously doing that on an expensive knife wouldn't be the best place to start. I also like this knife because it looks like a shark IMO (flipper hole is the eye and the finger choil with jimping looks like the mouth and teeth.

The stock, blue scales look great. I just love this shade of blue.

Upon searching the website for the Honey Badger model that I wanted to order, I discovered they offered white scales as well. Perfect! That's what you want to start with when dying.

And here are the scales after some Rit Apricot Orange. They got darker than I wanted, but it's still a nice shade.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #1555
Quarry Creeper

^^Nice work Tim!
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #1556
I wanna be Dave

Too funny - I just recently got 2 Honey Badgers (they're designed in South Africa), one with the drop point in tan, and one with the wharncliffe blade in OD green that they call the "Wharncleaver"...

I then swapped the outer scales from knife to knife, so that they now have contrasting backspacers.

Then, I gave my crawlin' buddy Miatardo the choice of which knife he wanted for his birthday, we ended up flipping a coin as neither was certain which we liked most.

He got the wharncleaver, I kept the drop point.

I like the fact that he technically has the backspacer from my knife and vice versa...

Right after that occurred, my German cousin sent me a new knife (a semi-annual event, I'd say nearly every other year he does that for me, sorta a combo B-day/Xmas gift).

It's by a Bulgarian company called "Manly" (lolz, I know) and it's very similar to a Spyderco in many ways - it's called the Peak.

One of my larger pocketknives, made in Bulgaria with US-supplied CPM-154 steel and G10 scales.

It'll require some breaking in as it's a little stiff - but that CPM-154 is hella sharp!
Attached Images

Last edited by durok; 07-02-2020 at 09:08 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #1557
I wanna be Dave

Added to my Amazon list now. I’ll read some more on that HB Straight afore ordering. I do love the simplistic styling though. Looks like that one blade on a triple Case or Oldtimer that gets all the use.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
^^Nice work Tim!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Too funny - I just recently got 2 Honey Badgers (they're designed in South Africa), one with the drop point in tan, and one with the wharncliffe blade in OD green that they call the "Wharncleaver"...

I then swapped the outer scales from knife to knife, so that they now have contrasting backspacers.

Then, I gave my crawlin' buddy Miatardo the choice of which knife he wanted for his birthday, we ended up flipping a coin as neither was certain which we liked most.

He got the wharncleaver, I kept the drop point.

I like the fact that he technically has the backspacer from my knife and vice versa...

Right after that occurred, my German cousin sent me a new knife (a semi-annual event, I'd say nearly every other year he does that for me, sorta a combo B-day/Xmas gift).

It's by a Bulgarian company called "Manly" (lolz, I know) and it's very similar to a Spyderco in many ways - it's called the Peak.

One of my larger pocketknives, made in Bulgaria with US-supplied CPM-154 steel and G10 scales.

It'll require some breaking in as it's a little stiff - but that CPM-154 is hella sharp!
Cool stuff! Got any pics of that Manly?

Quote:
Added to my Amazon list now. I’ll read some more on that HB Straight afore ordering. I do love the simplistic styling though. Looks like that one blade on a triple Case or Oldtimer that gets all the use.
They are pretty cool knives for $35. The D2 steel versions are significantly more - $50+ and in that category there are tons of options. I decided to try this brand because it looks unique and they offer all of the replacement parts right on the website.

https://westernactive.com/shop/

I preordered this Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight with CPM SPY27 cobalt steel. I ordered it because I like the blue handle, but apparently it's some kind of "spring run" or trial run for their new, proprietary steel.

After this, I have one more knife in transit that may or may not be lost.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #1559
I wanna be Dave

Spyderco does what they call "Sprint Runs" of particular combinations of steels/handle materials/handle colors that will only be made in a limited run, never to be repeated in that exact same configuration. BTW - the Manly is pictured right below the Honey Badge...

I've got some rare Spydies but they aren't sprint runs, just old discontinued models - they can and will climb in value over the years.

One is the very first collaboration they ever did with a custom knifemaker - Bob Terzuola, and it was made in Golden Colorado. Bought it new in 1993!

The other is a Renegade, which is just about one of the scariest-looking models they ever released, wicked upsweep on the clip point, partially serrated - and BIG.

Probably my most valuable knife is the Camillus Darryl Ralph CUDA Dominator Tanto, S30V blade, titanium handle, frame lock, assisted opening, made in the USA right before Camillus went out of business.

They were later bought out and resurrected, but I don't think they make anything in the US anymore.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:48 PM   #1560
Rock Crawler

Jato, beautiful SOG man! I have a few SOGs and they’re a great bang for the buck knife. LOVE Spydercos too. My favorite “pocket knife” is my Spyderco that I bought when I was 19 (28 years ago). Dropped it on the concrete once and took a little chip out of the tip. Reground and resharpened it and it’s as sharp as when it was new. I love handguns but knives have a special place with me. Used to teach martial arts/knife fighting and defense and a good knife along with knife skills are highly underrated.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire power!, second amendment