Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge vs. Toyota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
RCC Addict

I drive a Dodge because it has a Cummins in it! I would never buy a pickup without a diesel engine.

Why is a Dodge a wanna be Ford?
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #22
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Didn't Ford piss in International's wheaties? Hence the loss of the 7.3L?
No, international pissed in fords cheerios and ford told them to fawk off and built their own diesel.

International sent ford abunch of bad engines and wouldn't help cover the warranty costs, so ford quit paying them for the engines they were shipping, then international quit shipping, went into a law suit, and now international is no longer the contract manufacture of the powerstroke.

The new ford diesel is all designed and manufactured in house by ford, and its pretty fawkin awesome for only a year or two in production, i can't wait to see what tuning in the years to come will do to it.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #23
Got Worms?

The real question to ask your self though is

Would you rather be strokin or cummin?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
The real question to ask your self though is

Would you rather be strokin or cummin?
Cat
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #25
Got Worms?

Quote:
Cat
Do they even make a pickup diesel?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

They've toyed with the idea, but nothing transpired. Few concept trucks wild wild numbers. How about a hino diesels? Toyota company that's been building overseas diesels.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
How the hell do you drive in town to get 10? Worst I got with my 08 dc was 13 letting it warm up in winter. One friend gets 12 with 35's and lift. Two others 13-15.

I wish I knew why it does so bad. 5.7 is thirsty. I drive easy.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

I work in a small auto shop on the weekends so i called my buddy that runs the shop to see what he worked on this week as far as trucks.not including break tiers and normal were items he worked on 18 trucks.11 dodge 5 ford 2 Chevy.2 of the dodge were transmissions the biggest money of all 18 repairs. raw data to help you decide.

i have a 03 chv 2500 hd (gas 6.o lt) ex cab love it 176k mi on it(bought new) i plow, and pull a car trailer at least one day per week and a small boat. i have put 1 caliper and 2 front axial in it because the cv's went bad one was my fault because i ripped the boot plowing.nothing else major just normal pads and rotors ect...

i also have a jeep wrangler (but that's not a truck i think)

my wife has an 05 ford f150 king ranch with 143k mi on it .replaced the 4x4 actuator and it burns oil other than that just general maintenance.i think it is a bit under powered but it is just a grocery getter.

in my opinion go gm and git her an avalanche
superflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #29
RCC Addict

personally id go ford,chevy, or dodge. the big 3 have had trucks out for a long time and can all build great trucks. yea they have issues but lets face it, nothing is perfect.

if i had to choose id go dodge or ford. if your going deisel get the ford! and watch the US version if top gear were Tanner Foust drifts an f650 and pulls a freakin train!
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
personally id go ford,chevy, or dodge. the big 3 have had trucks out for a long time and can all build great trucks. yea they have issues but lets face it, nothing is perfect.

if i had to choose id go dodge or ford. if your going deisel get the ford! and watch the US version if top gear were Tanner Foust drifts an f450 and pulls a freakin train!
ehem I believe it was a f450 not an f650
riflerockmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I driven ford trucks most of the time, they are work trucks and should be expected to work like one. They are not all that comfartable but they get the job done. I driven a chevy before and it is a lot more comfortable than the fords and dodge. Between the three I would not hesitate on buying any of them. My decision would be based on looks, I personally like how fords look with a mild lift and tires. You main concern should be towing, a 1/2 ton will not last as long (doesnt matter if its a chevy, ford, or dodge). A 3/4 ton will last a while but most likely the transmission will need servicing at some point, but definitely a lot better than the 1/2 ton. Now 1 ton trucks in my opinion are the best, their towing capabilities are impresive, stopping power is excellent and durability is reliable. I would personally never buy a tundra because to me they are not true full size trucks. Get something that you need, remember that a truck will never give you great mpg.
minisaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Any truck will last if you properly maintain it
I own a 2004 Dodge 1/2 ton 4X4 with 75000 miles on it. The only problem I've had with it so far is the alternator, which I just replaced about 5000 miles ago. I'm getting about 12 mpg around town and when I travel back to North Dakota for work, I get between 15-16 mpg.
My biggest complaint about the Dodge is the 5.7 Hemi. While it has plenty of power, I don't like the fact that when it comes time for a tune up, I have to replace 16 spark plugs, since it uses 2 spark plugs per cylinder
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Any truck will last if you properly maintain it
I own a 2004 Dodge 1/2 ton 4X4 with 75000 miles on it. The only problem I've had with it so far is the alternator, which I just replaced about 5000 miles ago. I'm getting about 12 mpg around town and when I travel back to North Dakota for work, I get between 15-16 mpg.
My biggest complaint about the Dodge is the 5.7 Hemi. While it has plenty of power, I don't like the fact that when it comes time for a tune up, I have to replace 16 spark plugs, since it uses 2 spark plugs per cylinder
I think dealer spark plugs are good to up to 100000 miles, but at 20 each not many want to buy them.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Ford for me, don't get your diesels conflused the 7.3L produced up till the first half of 2003 is about the most reliable light truck diesel you can get. don't touch the 6.0/6.4L with a 10 ft pole. the 6.7 is looking good but too new to know how it does over the long haul. I have 190K on my 2001 Ford Diesel Excursion and still going strong..
soutthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisaba View Post
at 20 each not many want to buy them.
That ^^^ would be me
I'll spend that on my Charger R/T, but not on my truck
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I would personally never buy a tundra because to me they are not true full size trucks.
06 and older maybe, still comfortable. But the 07 and up are on par. My 08 double cab (extracab) version has more room in the back seat than a Chevy.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
06 and older maybe, still comfortable. But the 07 and up are on par. My 08 double cab (extracab) version has more room in the back seat than a Chevy.
That may be true on room wise, how about engine and trans wise? I know ford, chevy and dodge can take a beating. I aslo know that those old sr22 duallies took a beating back in the day, but those were small motors.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That may be true on room wise, how about engine and trans wise? I know ford, chevy and dodge can take a beating. I aslo know that those old sr22 duallies took a beating back in the day, but those were small motors.
Gas enngine for gas engine, jap motors will out last domestic. For trannies, you saying a 700r4 or 4l60 can take a beating? GM's spent years beefing them up. All manufacturers release crap v6's ealry, most improved. Toyota overbuilt their new 1/2t. Not saying it's the best for everyone, but knowing Toyota's and this tundra, I wouldn't drive a domestic.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 AM   #39

It all comes down to a personal choice IMHO!

Watch the HD to HD videos on Youtube, they take a Chevy, Dodge and Ford and put them threw different challenges.

I thought this video was funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuqES...feature=relmfu

You might not be looking for a HD but IMHO the Chevy Silverado LTZ has a pretty nice ride. We have driven 12 hours in your Silverado ('08 LTZ V8 5.3L) and it's feels like your on rails, we also had a 10 foot cube trailer with a light load. When you hit the bumpy dirt roads you can't even feel the difference. But now you will have guys that have Fords ad Dodges that will say the same thing. A trucks a truck either way it will last if you take care of it.
burtonkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
if i had to choose id go dodge or ford. if your going deisel get the ford! and watch the US version if top gear were Tanner Foust drifts an f650 and pulls a freakin train!
chevy still won overall in that top gear and rated best by diesel power.

IMO GM all day. between the 11 GM's in my imediate family in the last year the only things that have been needed for repair are a cruise control module in my grandpa's truck, my sway bar end links, and a door handle on my dad's truck. (dads truck also has 270k miles and still runs like a champ!)
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote