Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anyone paint their exhaust to prevent rust??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Anyone paint their exhaust to prevent rust??

There's high temp paints for engines and grills you can get in aerosol can.
Ever heard of painting a good portion of your exhaust to prevent rusting?? I just installed a cat back kit from magnumexhaust on eBay. Kind of rough and here's my pics and story on it. Wasn't as plug and play as it shoulda been. http://www.s10planet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29575
My deal is I had to piece in extra lengths and that means starting at the muffler front I have NINE frikken clamped areas. I see in a year it being half rusted out because the kit pipes are thin walled and clamps always rust beyond use in a year here with our salt soaked roads in the winter. By use I mean they usually snap if you have to try removing one.

I know the temps the cat converter gets but I don't think the rest gets near that temp.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anyone paint their exhaust to prevent rust??

I do on my duramax. I use the flat black ceramic header paint.
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbounder View Post
I do on my duramax. I use the flat black ceramic header paint.
Rattle can? And who sells it please. That sounds like a good option. Had it on long enough to say its def keeping rust at bay? Appreciate your reply
Old 07-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Its more about the prep than it is about what you lay on it....
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Its more about the prep than it is about what you lay on it....
Meaning? Prepped for the paint?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
Meaning? Prepped for the paint?
yes sir
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

How would you recommend prepping exhaust and the clamps? Then an adequate paint. Want at least a few years out of this. Not a show truck but not too bad.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

the magnum exhaust kits on ebay are terrible quality. wow. bad.
If you properly scuff the surface and use quality paint- it'll still rust anyway. I tried it and put a lot of effort in it- to no avail.
MuddyOval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval View Post
the magnum exhaust kits on ebay are terrible quality. wow. bad.
If you properly scuff the surface and use quality paint- it'll still rust anyway. I tried it and put a lot of effort in it- to no avail.
Ouch that blows. I wasn't buying a brand name per say, just what looked like what would be a good match for me.

It's hard to believe sometimes I have no prob spending $600 on Rc PARTS ( not a rig) if I have the money but act like an old Scrooge for anything else. I guess that's why our Rc is called an addiction. We do anything for the fix and don't look back. Guess I could scrub it real good with some scotch pad and rubbing alcohol. Then paint with high temp rattle can crap. Oughtta last a heck of a lot longer than nothing.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I prefer the rust look. It lets people know that I don't give a crap about my ride and wont hesitate to bump them out of my way.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I prefer the rust look. It lets people know that I don't give a crap about my ride and wont hesitate to bump them out of my way.
Rust look yea I don't have a problem. Rusted out needing replaced again-no. There's scratches and body rust but they don't know what it looks like under the hood and body. I see where you're coming from though. When I drive around in my 86 I just welcome some idiot drive into me as they cut across parking lots or ride my ass in traffic. I even speed up or slow down faster hoping they are texting and driving.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Before I got hardcore in drag racing and used ceramic coating... I used to take my headers and bead blast the crap that originally was on it then use BBQ or grill paint once it was dry took a propane torch to it till it glowed those suckers never rusted and actually held up longer than my high end stuff...

Prep work is 99% key but the gauge and type of steel helps too
Grabbem88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

If you're installing a new exhaust, how about just keeping the undercarriage clean and free of road salt? That alone should be sufficient to prevent any damaging rust. And I don't care what temp any paint is rated for, it will eventually burn off.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus.:God View Post
If you're installing a new exhaust, how about just keeping the undercarriage clean and free of road salt? That alone should be sufficient to prevent any damaging rust. And I don't care what temp any paint is rated for, it will eventually burn off.
I wish! Dumbasses around here can't drive in 1 inch of rain let alone snow. A light dusting of snow comes and all the sudden oh God we need to dump all the road salt we have access to. Pisses me off pretty bad. I have literally walked to work in 10*f temps before driving because of this. ( 11 min walk for me ) There's absolutely no reason for salting the shart out of our roads for anything below 6 inches. This ain't alaska. It's central US. I can ride a fawking unicycle down these roads on snow and ice that retards can't drive a awd Subaru through. Yes I ride unicycles too. Learning helped me quit smoking.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Rattle can? And who sells it please. That sounds like a good option. Had it on long enough to say its def keeping rust at bay? Appreciate your reply
It's rattle can , I believe duplicolor .1200 or 1500 degree paint . I havnt had a chance to go look .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Best way to stop/prevent rust is to buy a quality Stainless Steel exhaust. Nothing else will do much more than delay the inevitable.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
delay the inevitable.
That's what I'm after since I put on lower grade stuff. Wish I had SSed it.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's what I'm after since I put on lower grade stuff. Wish I had SSed it.
With it being as cheaply made, at least you'll get that chance sooner than later.......kinda thinking that with the exhaust on my XJ!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

i know when i worked for monroe muffler we drilled an 1/8" hole in the rear end of all the mufflers at the bottom of it we installed....that tiny hole let out all the water you see dripping from the tail pipes of cars on the road....if that water was coming out of the tail pipe that mean't water was deep in the muffler ....exhaust systems lasted a lot longer with that hole in there, plus it kept free warranty work out of the place as well ....most systems rust out from the inside anyway.......bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
dkf
Rock Crawler

I was using Duplicolor ceramic header paint. Then the Duplicolor was getting hard to find then I switched over to VHT 2000deg ceramic header paint. Then the VHT was phasing out in the local stores so I have been buying the Rustoleum 2000deg ceramic header paint.

I keep paint on my headers and welds of the exhaust. Any rust spots I remove the rust and hit it with the header paint. Just because you get a stainless system does not mean it will not rust. The 400 series stainless will rust and eventually rust through but it lasts longer than aluminized. The 300 series stainless systems give you the best corrosion resistance however they are not immune to looking like shit over time or forming surface rust. The surface rust is usually from steel being introduced into the surface during working or production or its just junk foreign stainless which is more common than you think.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone paint their exhaust to prevent rust?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to prevent tires coming out off the beadlocks painter4x4 Axial Wraith 6 02-26-2012 06:22 PM
Anyone do custom paint(rust) on Hilux lilhank Paint and Body 0 12-11-2011 10:10 AM
Prevent rollback? Deezul General Crawlers 8 06-05-2010 11:03 AM
Which wheels have more offset to prevent rubbing. axeten Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 03-03-2010 12:37 PM
prevent axle wrap Bronco General Scale Talk 5 02-05-2007 09:55 AM