Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Husqvarna mower??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Husqvarna mower??

Was looking at buying a new husqvarna riding lawn mower, and wanted some input on quality/ cost and if anybody has one Pros and cons. I've never had the luxury of having a riding mower and really don't know anything about them. I have about 1 acre with lots of obstacles ( trees, pool, bushes etc.) Any help would be very useful and appreciated.

Last edited by Constant Threat; 05-20-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Definitely as good as Deeres when it comes to reliability and craftsmanship and cost less.....I had an older one with the Kawasaki V-Twin engine and 24hp,48" deck and it great on 5 acres.....our lawn seemed to grow baseball sized rocks too.....

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Husqvarna mower??

While not a riding a mower, I have been looking for a new self-propelled mower. I have considered the Husqvarna, but it seems for these kinds of mowers, it more's about which engine you want in it. Briggs & Stratton all the way for me. I just seem having a hard time convincing myself that I really need one. Though every time I go to mow and I pull out my 20+ y/o John Deere (Briggs & Stratton), it still keeps running, even though I have never checked or changed the oil since I can remember, every knob on it is broken, you have to use a rubber mallet to adjust the cut height, the plastic faring under the mower deck for shooting the grass in to the bag is all busted up, and the mower blade has more chips and notches in it, I'm surprised it even cuts, but the thing keeps going, even if the I have to push it more and more each time. Yeah, probably time for a new one.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would consider the HU800AWD its the new 4WD mower from Husqvarna.....187cc Honda engine.....for your sized lawn the perfect mower.....Great reviews and with a pricetag of $499 alot more affordable then the riders.
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

Thought this might have been a thread on their new AWD mower.

Never tried the Husqvarna brand. Wife says 54 reviews on Lowe's, and it's 4.5 stars, so the initial quality's good, anyway. Lowe's in Plover has 'em in stock, so perhaps I needa go look at 'em. Maybe it's getting to be about time to own one.

Edit: Pretty much a repost of what is directly above this entry, sorry.

Last edited by Trubble; 05-18-2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Got excited to share something, didn't look up model # in previous post.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

An acre isnt really a lot. A good push mower will give you some exercise if you dont regularly get some. If youre bent on getting a rider it really just depends on your budget. Zero turns make much quicker work of a lawn than garden tractors but again we're only talking about an acre. If you have a lot of tight turns/obsticles the zero would definately make things easier.

If youre budget oriented than Id say check CL first as they have a lot of good deals (at least around here). If moneys not an option Id suggest Lowes. You can get a decent rider for 1,200-1,500$, a decent zero for 2,000-3,000.

I use a JD garden tractor 54" deck with a commercial kohler command 25hp v-twin to cut our 3.5 acres and it does good, but we dont have a lot of tight turns/obsticles. B&S are good although not what they used to be, I would stay away from the newer kohler courage engines, they are junk. If youre on CL and find anything with a liquid cooled kawasaki/yamaha thats money ("good", not neccessarily expensive, i.e. golden).

GL...

Last edited by RANOVRU; 05-18-2013 at 02:21 PM.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Both my BIL and I have the Husqvarna RZ5424 with the 725CC, 24HP OHV Kohler motor. I cut 4 acres a week and he cuts 3. I have had mine 1 year while he has had his 2. No maintenance issues. nothing broke. It is a great mower. My BILs Mother In Law has the tractor version and same thing, she loves it. They are available for under $3K. I would recommend that you buy one from a Power Equipment store, you may spend a little more but the service is hard to beat. Mine is going in to have some drive line adjustments and some aftermarket lades installed. I will pay for the blades but the 3 year warranty will cover the adjustments. The Power Equipment dealer I bought mine from will pickup and deliver free.

Unless you are mechanically competent and have the tools/shop, I would not recommend used. The 3 year warranty is worth a ton to me. But that is MHO as I cannot go a week without cutting my yard so I cannot afford a breakdown or an extended stay in the shop.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the input guys I think I'm going to get 20hp 42" deck husqvarna I would get the 46" but it won't fit thru my gate to the back yard:mad: oh well. Thanks again
Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

the ride-on I have here in OZ is a local (australian) brand COX, pissy little 13 hp honda with 32" deck..... I have literally bashed the living shit out of it, most recently MOWED a new driveway into the ground, just mowed it all down to dirt. The block of land we have was very rocky (average size 10 inch + diameter rocks)when we bought it, the COX would spit them out no worries. yes I went thru a lot of blades, but otherwise, it has kept going strong. The same land next door, they have a HUSKY, it's done it's rear gearbox twice, the cutting deck has disintergrated etc etc....and we get comments from them saying how my lawn always looks so much better than theirs, cut cleaner and better.
slowlearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Thought this might have been a thread on their new AWD mower.

Never tried the Husqvarna brand. Wife says 54 reviews on Lowe's, and it's 4.5 stars, so the initial quality's good, anyway. Lowe's in Plover has 'em in stock, so perhaps I needa go look at 'em. Maybe it's getting to be about time to own one.

Edit: Pretty much a repost of what is directly above this entry, sorry.

I drive a truck for Lowes, with that said I deliver a ton of these mowers and they are very reliable. I own a lawn care landscape company and have actually considered adding one to the fleet just because of the reviews and the purdycwhen cut it gives on Bermuda. I'm on the tip edge of being full time lawn care (so much for a hobby) and I often ask my customers how they like these mowers. I'm a John Deere guy tried and true but would have this mower over any of the lowes/home depot John Deere push mowers. As for commercial stuff Exmark for push mowers and John Deere "commercial" zero turns.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Unless you are mechanically competent and have the tools/shop, I would not recommend used. The 3 year warranty is worth a ton to me. But that is MHO as I cannot go a week without cutting my yard so I cannot afford a breakdown or an extended stay in the shop.

I realize the original poster has already made up his mind but for anyone else reading this thread I would just have to say, the above is not really true.

I bought my mower mentioned in my previous post for $800 off CL (originaly/new closer to $4,000). Its an '03 and I got it in '10 so going on 4yrs now that Ive had it. It had about 600hrs when I got it and its getting ready to trip 800hrs. Ive only had to do regular maintanence so far (air filter, oil/filter, couple of spark plug changes, and sharpen the blades). Kohler rates this engine for 1600hrs so Im just tipping the halfway mark, and so far so good.

If you do your research and know what youre looking at CL is not at all a bad place to look. Its easy to buy something you dont know anything about though, and get shafted in the long run.

Bottom line, read up!

To Constant, I hope your new mower works out good for ya....

Last edited by RANOVRU; 05-19-2013 at 10:33 PM.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Well unfortunately the mower I was going to buy turns out they sold 13 at the store I go to last year and 13 came back:mad: so now I'm looking at the john Deere D110 anybody got one?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

My Murray wide body hasn't ever let me down. I take it in for a service once a year where they level the deck, check the belts, change the oil and filter, etc. and that's all it ever needs. It's at least 15yrs. old now (believe it's a '9 and still going strong. It was my grandfather's before I got it and he used it to mow approx. 3 acres probably 2-3 times per month.

As far as non-commercial mowers go I think they're all just about the same quality. Obviously you can get the cheapest of the cheap, but we all know what you'll end up with going that route, but I also don't buy into needing the high dollar mowers to do the same job. On those mowers you're paying for fancy paint schemes and name brands along with a few creature comforts like cup holders and such that aren't necessary.

Don't forget to figure in the extra maintenance costs associated with choosing units from companies like JD. Their parts are going to be quite a bit more expensive...and I wouldn't be surprised if they've made them to require their parts over another generic brand.

Last edited by ittybitty; 05-20-2013 at 10:20 AM.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Threat View Post
Well unfortunately the mower I was going to buy turns out they sold 13 at the store I go to last year and 13 came back:mad: so now I'm looking at the john Deere D110 anybody got one?
John Deere 110 would be a much better choice in my opinion. I only run John Deere commercial equipment now but the 110s are great little mowers for 2 acres or less.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote

Husqvarna mower?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Lawn mower Bluebox Chit Chat 6 03-15-2013 01:04 PM
R/C Lawn Mower/Weedeater SVEN Chit Chat 47 06-25-2012 05:32 PM
husqvarna, swap over to a small deck losikid Chit Chat 11 07-30-2011 03:39 PM
Lawn Mower Racing bluechevytuber Chit Chat 5 02-14-2011 06:52 PM