Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 04:00 AM   #1981
RCC Addict

Default Re: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

I don't want to be clipped in off-road, would rather not be connected to my bike when if it's going to go for a ride...

The reason I crashed was because I never rode that trail before (Whitetail in Fundy National Park), it was a sharp corner that went uphill pretty quick, which also narrowed. I was also winded since my riding around here doesn't involve a lot of vertical climbing since there's no mountains where I live, so almost 400m in 4km's was a lot for me. What made it more worse than it could have been was just the grips on my pedals.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #1982
Rock Crawler

The only thing I ever run flats on is my unicycle
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #1983
Quarry Creeper

So, having exhausted all my other resources, figured I'd see if anyone on here could help me out. Trying to find a suspension fork for a 26" wheel, straight arch and an eighth steerer, and preferably something cool based, not air, as it's going on a dirt jumper project. 100mm of travel is fine, but will consider up to 120, and either a 9mm qr or 20mm through axle. Hoping someone has something (older marzocchi dj?) collecting dust they'd sell for cheap money. Thanks in advance.
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #1984
RCC Addict

Figured you guys would like this blast from the past bike. I wanted to start exploring for more crawling spots as I'm bored with my yard rocks and would like to find some spots closer than an hour away. I was big into cross country mountain biking in high school. My first job was working at a bike shop building and maintaining bikes of all sorts. I'm a schwinn guy but that shop didn't sell schwinns. So I'm 1997 I was 14 and went to the local schwinn dealer and bought just the frame of this Schwinn Homegrown full suspension. I then built it and pretty much worked for free that summer because I got the parts and my boss let me work them off lol. I raced cross country for two seasons until now got my license and th rest is history.

I literally haven't ridden this bike for 17 years. Got a wild hair across my butt to hit the power lines up behind my house and look for some good crawling lines. So, I loaded up the ascender, some water, strapped on my old biking shoes, aired up the old speed max tires, put my helmet on and set off looking. Clipless pedals and all!!

Man, I'm out of shape but had a blast! Didn't find anything great for crawl spots. Ever since the gas pipeline went in, the trails went to crap And are very overgrown. So there are only small outcropings of ledge. Had a little fun and hope to start riding a little more for some exercise too. Here's SMS pictures of Lynn old beast. I'll never sell it because I'll never be able to afford the quality of bike this one is. Even though it's old, out dated, 8 speed cassette, and fairly heavy I love it. Rides very nice and I still like the "sweet spot" suspension design.

Here's a few pictures...

Ben

Last edited by Itali83; 06-18-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #1985
I wanna be Dave

So, I've been saving up for a new mountain bike. My Ventana that I built from parts back in 1997 was stolen from my house last summer and I really miss riding. I was headed home from work the other day and saw a demo tent set up for Orbea bikes. I hadn't heard of them, and decided to check it out. Rode a Loki H30 27+ bike, basically a hardtail with 27.5x2.8 tires and a Rockshox fork, SLX drivetrain, decent stuff for $1400. Ordered one yesterday and it should be available next week. I'm super excited! Not the greatest bike in the world, but it'll be light years better than my 20 year old Ventana. Here's a pic from their site.

War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #1986
I wanna be Dave

Got a couple questions.

First, I'd like to get a dropper post, but don't want to spend $400. Anyone have one closer to $200 they'd recommend?

Second, baggy shorts. I'm getting close to 50 and don't want to wear Lycra anymore. Any shorts you'd recommend and ones to stay away from? I have NO IDEA where to start.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #1987
Rock Crawler

Got a KS ETEN dropper for my hard tail a few months ago and love it. 100.00 off e-bay. Make sure your measurements are right. I measured wrong and the first dropper I bought was too long. I am 44 and I just wear regular shorts.

Last edited by pro mod steve; 06-20-2017 at 05:40 PM.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #1988
Quarry Creeper

Stay away from Fox shorts, or all their gear for that matter. Used to be decent stuff, now it's just shit with a Foxhead logo on it. Buy some decent liner shorts, and go to WalMart (as bad as I hate them) and get the Wrangler cargo shorts to wear over them. They're breathable, and about $18 a pair so if you trash a set you're not out a silly amount of money.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-...d=actual_color

Last edited by hpiguy; 06-20-2017 at 06:14 PM.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #1989
Rock Stacker

Shimano Pro make a dropper that is not too expensive- $270.
I always tell people that you get what you pay for with clothing. Get the nicest ones you can afford.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:22 AM   #1990
Rock Stacker

I have specialized and sugoi baggies. Can't even tell i have the sugoi on. The specialize feel hot.
rupps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #1991
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Stay away from Fox shorts, or all their gear for that matter. Used to be decent stuff, now it's just shit with a Foxhead logo on it. Buy some decent liner shorts, and go to WalMart (as bad as I hate them) and get the Wrangler cargo shorts to wear over them. They're breathable, and about $18 a pair so if you trash a set you're not out a silly amount of money.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-...d=actual_color
Funny, I love my Fox Ranger shorts and gloves, and Demo jersey. Just down to personal preference I guess.

Also War Pig, best investment you can buy is padded shorts. I still use the ones from my Fox Rangers, but lately I've been using my Castelli Rosso Corsa bib shorts.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #1992
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Stay away from Fox shorts, or all their gear for that matter. Used to be decent stuff, now it's just shit with a Foxhead logo on it. [/url]
How long ago was that? Their stuff is by far the best on the market now. I bought a pair of Attack Pro shorts last year and they are the my go to every time I ride now. Makes all my other shorts and liners a waste of money.

Their new Ascent gloves are the same way. All my others are collecting dust.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #1993
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the responses guys! Picked up some Endura Humvee shorts with liner today, as well as some Oakley gloves. Really liked how these fit. I did try some Fox shorts and they were comfortable but $110, the Endura shorts were $45.

Also found out that my new bike is being shipped from Spain so it's going to be 3 weeks before I get it . Guess I can save up a little more for the dropper post now.....

Old 06-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #1994
Quarry Creeper

Both pair my Fox shorts are a couple seasons old. I have a pair of Ranger shorts, and I forget the other model. The liners are just so-so, the velcro waist adjustments never stay put, and the zipper on the Rangers won't stay all the way up. They're shorts, they cover my junk, but nothing to write home about.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #1995
Rock Stacker

Endura makes some great clothes. Girlfriend has some and they last forever. Jealous of her rain jacket.

Anyone ever try sombrio? Heard they are good but don't know anyone who wears them.
http://www.sombriocartel.com/en-CA

Last edited by rupps5; 06-22-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #1996
RCC Addict

I love Club Ride gear. It's comfy and looks way better than regular mountain bike clothing. As far as liners, bibs are the only way to go. They are hands down the best for butt comfort if you put more than 20 mile rides in.

No me, just a pic off google. They are super comfy and breathable.

stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #1997
I wanna be Dave

Bibs are the only way to go, find comfy pair for you, everybody's different, too thick a chamois pad is not good ime. Baggy shorts are waste of money, more stuff to hold in heat, bunch up and create more chafing potential and like to get caught on the saddle.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #1998
Rock Stacker

Looks like i am In the minority, just not a fan of bibs. Just like regular bike shorts without the suspenders....
Old 06-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #1999
I wanna be Dave

I was a non-bib hold out for several years until I tried them.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #2000
Rock Stacker

I have many bibs and still like shorts: )

Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official WiRCRC Chit Chat R/CMaxximus5.0 Wisconsin 3168 09-01-2023 09:04 PM
Mountain biking adamargue Chit Chat 30 09-09-2013 09:01 PM
Official 4x4allstar Chit Chat Thread Ced RC Illinois 1022 09-18-2010 07:12 AM