Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #401
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

Yes sir, that's where I'm at currently. Give me a shout, if I'm still around these parts we'll get some riding in.

Here's the pics from our ride yesterday

Taking our first break at the top of Hooker falls

Looking down Hooker falls

A short spin along some gravel roads brought us to a better view of Hooker falls

Bridal veil falls (not much water on it yesterday)

Break time again

My buddy Goose and Cookiemonster

These guys look like they had a good time!

hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #402
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

I can't wait for my 20T and my new chain to get here. I need to get some wider bars and a shorter stem too. After that, my SS is done.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #403
Quarry Creeper

Sweet! I can't wait get mine out for a proper rip this Sunday on some trails I know pretty well.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #404
Quarry Creeper

Well, after being sick all day Friday and part of yesterday, I did indeed get to ride the SS for the first time today. It's harder than I thought it would be truth be told, it really kicked my ass big time. Even the super easy trails become a heart pounding, lung and leg burning, suffer fest. I stopped a lot, ate a gel on a ride this short, and basically realized how much I suck LOL. I think I'll name the bike honey badger.

Oh, you've rode 3-4 days a week all summer long? Honey badger don't give a f**k.

Oh, you added a road bike to get in more training miles? That's cute, but honey badger don't give a f**k.

Honey badger is here to whip your fat ass, and bring the pain, all day long. It also rained on my halfway through and cut my day short, so I had wet, slimy, slick clay and roots for part of the ride back. And I enjoyed every second of all of it.

Wet, muddy, tired, and happy as a clam

Last edited by hpiguy; 08-24-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #405
Quarry Creeper

Awesome! Keep at it. The single speed guy got my respect. You'll have masher legs after a while on that puppy.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #406
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Well, after being sick all day Friday and part of yesterday, I did indeed get to ride the SS for the first time today. It's harder than I thought it would be truth be told, it really kicked my ass big time. Even the super easy trails become a heart pounding, lung and leg burning, suffer fest. I stopped a lot, ate a gel on a ride this short, and basically realized how much I suck LOL. I think I'll name the bike honey badger.

Oh, you've rode 3-4 days a week all summer long? Honey badger don't give a f**k.

Oh, you added a road bike to get in more training miles? That's cute, but honey badger don't give a f**k.

Honey badger is here to whip your fat ass, and bring the pain, all day long. It also rained on my halfway through and cut my day short, so I had wet, slimy, slick clay and roots for part of the ride back. And I enjoyed every second of all of it.

Phill off of modern family
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #407
Rock Crawler

here is my weekend trail ride that ended up getting sprayed by a skunk big time. I drove home in the highway naked with the windows rolled down at a 100 mile an hour. First time I got skunked and they stink bad. Peroxide, dishwasher soap and baking soda works great, but unfortunately I had to throw out my clothing and shoes. nonetheless it was an awesome time.

here are my bikes

this one is a 2008 hardrock I use for the trails, since been fitted with rockshock xc30 front fork and raceface cranks and hayes disc brakes

this one is a 2003 brodie omega with raceface cranks, hayes disc brakes and rockshock psylo.

some of the mountain bike on here are awesome, I can only wish I can get my hands on one of them.

Last edited by ped453; 08-25-2014 at 10:40 AM.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #408
RCC Addict

Need some help picking a bike.

After my first knee replacement I decided I couldn't bike anymore. Bad mistake. I sold my beautiful custom Klein Mantra. Now after my second knee replacement, I realized how bad a mistake it was and want to get a bike.

First my concerns. I am short and round. 270, 5"9. One of the main reasons I need to bike again. Due to knee and hip issues, my step over ability is limited. so....

I am looking for a low top tube (or steeply slopped), aluminum hardtail with an air front shock, hydraulic disk brakes, 8 or 9 speed cassette and a bit of a upright and stance. I prefer Shimano shifters and brakes. I would be willing to look at a spring or polymer shock if I can be certain that it will hold my weight. I am most familiar with a 26" wheel but will consider a 29er. The extra rolling mass probably would not be that much of an impact for me as my terrain is primarily rolling hills and wooded trails.

My preference would be a Cannondale but they are impossible to find locally. Specialized, Gary Fisher and Giants are easy to find. Treks are available I am sure. I would love to get into this is the $700 range but not sure if that is possible unless I make some downgrade decisions. Looking for help on those decisions too.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #409
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post

Sweet, yes SS makes even the mellow trails a bit of a challenge. I love mine, glad you're lovin yours too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
here is my weekend trail ride that ended up getting sprayed by a skunk big time. I drove home in the highway naked with the windows rolled down at a 100 mile an hour. First time I got skunked and they stink bad. Peroxide, dishwasher soap and baking soda works great, but unfortunately I had to throw out my clothing and shoes. nonetheless it was an awesome time.

here are my bikes

this one is a 2008 hardrock I use for the trails, since been fitted with rockshock xc30 front fork and raceface cranks and hayes disc brakes

this one is a 2003 brodie omega with raceface cranks, hayes disc brakes and rockshock psylo.

some of the mountain bike on here are awesome, I can only wish I can get my hands on one of them.
I've been sooooo close to getting sprayed but have not...hoping that luck continues. There are always nicer bikes, but the sweetest bike is the one that gets ridden regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Need some help picking a bike.

After my first knee replacement I decided I couldn't bike anymore. Bad mistake. I sold my beautiful custom Klein Mantra. Now after my second knee replacement, I realized how bad a mistake it was and want to get a bike.

First my concerns. I am short and round. 270, 5"9. One of the main reasons I need to bike again. Due to knee and hip issues, my step over ability is limited. so....

I am looking for a low top tube (or steeply slopped), aluminum hardtail with an air front shock, hydraulic disk brakes, 8 or 9 speed cassette and a bit of a upright and stance. I prefer Shimano shifters and brakes. I would be willing to look at a spring or polymer shock if I can be certain that it will hold my weight. I am most familiar with a 26" wheel but will consider a 29er. The extra rolling mass probably would not be that much of an impact for me as my terrain is primarily rolling hills and wooded trails.

My preference would be a Cannondale but they are impossible to find locally. Specialized, Gary Fisher and Giants are easy to find. Treks are available I am sure. I would love to get into this is the $700 range but not sure if that is possible unless I make some downgrade decisions. Looking for help on those decisions too.
Exercise is great, just have to adapt to each person's needs! I would buy something that is available locally that way the LBS and mfr is there to support you if you have any problems, need parts maintenance etc. Generally I like Specialized and Giant frame geometry lately, but explain to the bike shop peeps what you need (include the info you've given here) so that they can fit you on the correct bike for you. After you've read up, test ridden, etc. come back here if you have any more questions before purchasing.

EDIT: DOn't forget diet change may be in order too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #410
Quarry Creeper

Yessir, jonesing for another SS ride already. Ordered some 720mm Pro Taper AM bars and Ritchey ergo lock on grips for it today. Been stocking up on cool / cold weather gear while it's been on sale also.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #411
RCC Addict

Today's ride:

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Lunch Ride near Riverview | Times and Records | Strava

New gloves I got the other day, hands aren't as sore after rides now:

And yes, it fits in there

Also, where my seat is at now is pretty much perfect. My pedeling felt almost effortless, getting up for climbs was easier and putting power down was easy too.

Also, got my order from VeloInk a couple weeks ago:

Last edited by canadianbacon; 08-25-2014 at 05:17 PM.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #412
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
Today's ride:

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Lunch Ride near Riverview | Times and Records | Strava

New gloves I got the other day, hands aren't as sore after rides now:

And yes, it fits in there

Also, where my seat is at now is pretty much perfect. My pedeling felt almost effortless, getting up for climbs was easier and putting power down was easy too.

Also, got my order from VeloInk a couple weeks ago:
Nice. Remember to hold the bars, but don't death grip them.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #413
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Nice. Remember to hold the bars, but don't death grip them.
I do, I was only holding them like that so I wouldn't crash lol, no GoPro so I was taking a pic with my phone.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #414
I wanna be Dave

Cool, we all do it sometimes without thinking about it. Good set of lock-on grips really helps too, I like Lizard Skins. I tried a couple different grips before I found the Charger that fit my hands well. Lock-On Charger Grip | Lizard Skins

ODI makes some nice lock-ons too.
ODI Grips - Lock-On
Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #415
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Cool, we all do it sometimes without thinking about it. Good set of lock-on grips really helps too, I like Lizard Skins. I tried a couple different grips before I found the Charger that fit my hands well. Lock-On Charger Grip | Lizard Skins
I had ones similar to those on my old bmx, gripped really well. What I want is a small, tighly packed grip like that, not the big blocky one I have now. With the Oakley gloves, the strips on the inside really hang onto the rubber, so the bigger blocks just dig into my hands.

Also, before Spring, I'll probably end changing the brakes out on it. I'm looking at Avid BB5's.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #416
Rock Stacker

These have been my favorite grips do far. They are lite and do not spin and go on great with some hair spray

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...277554&alt=web

Oh ya they are to cheap not to try...
rupps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #417
Rock Stacker

Canadianbacon Skip the bb5 and go right to the bb7.
rupps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #418
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
Might as well lol.

Is this a direct from the manufacturer price or?...... I know it's a sale, but damn.

Avid MTB BB7 Mechanical Disc Brake Front and Rear 160mm | eBay
Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #419
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
Skip them both and go hydraulic.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:51 AM   #420
RCC Addict

I don't really need hydraulic if I'm not doing downhill, I'm mainly doing cross country and bike lanes in the city, those would be pretty overkill.

Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official WiRCRC Chit Chat R/CMaxximus5.0 Wisconsin 3168 09-01-2023 09:04 PM
Mountain biking adamargue Chit Chat 30 09-09-2013 09:01 PM
Official 4x4allstar Chit Chat Thread Ced RC Illinois 1022 09-18-2010 07:12 AM