Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: How Are Redcats?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How Are Redcats?

In the club I am in racing 1/10 and 1/8 scale offroad no one has any Redcat products. I have been told they do not hold up in a racing environment. So how are Redcat Crawlers in general. I was thinking of buying one to crawl with at first instead of destroying my Axial. They are definitely priced at a low level compared to others. But then again I do not want to throw my money away.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Default Re: How Are Redcats?

Take the money you'll spend on the Redcat and put it towards the already existing Axial.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Take the money you'll spend on the Redcat and put it towards the already existing Axial.
I have put some upgrades in it plus aluminum panels. I guess i'm almost afraid to scratch it, LOL!
Old 03-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

I am an addict and have (1) of everything Axial and love them all but about a year ago, on a whim, when they were $135 and Tower Xmas coupon codes got me one for $116, I could not pass up the Everest 10. It is a clone of the OG AX10 and it is now what I suggest to anyone interested in getting there first crawler. I have no idea what you mean by "racing" but these are great trucks. Do some research. If by racing you are referring to U4 stuff then this is not the right rig. If it is rock crawling, don't be scared and start a trend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperCrawler View Post
I am an addict and have (1) of everything Axial and love them all but about a year ago, on a whim, when they were $135 and Tower Xmas coupon codes got me one for $116, I could not pass up the Everest 10. It is a clone of the OG AX10 and it is now what I suggest to anyone interested in getting there first crawler. I have no idea what you mean by "racing" but these are great trucks. Do some research. If by racing you are referring to U4 stuff then this is not the right rig. If it is rock crawling, don't be scared and start a trend!

By racing I mean Stadium Trucks, Short Course 4x4's, Buggies, favorite maker for me is Tekno.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #6

In that case, anything scaler or crawler related is not going to work. If you are looking for true racer, I love Losi products but it's hard to beat the value of Associated products. Most Traxxas products make great bashers for several reason but if you want a competitive racer, you'll need to steer toward racing brands.

JasperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperCrawler View Post
In that case, anything scaler or crawler related is not going to work. If you are looking for true racer, I love Losi products but it's hard to beat the value of Associated products. Most Traxxas products make great bashers for several reason but if you want a competitive racer, you'll need to steer toward racing brands.

Sorry for the confusion, I race and have Tekno, Losi and Associated vehicles. Crawler/Scale is the new try for me. I have a RC4WD Scale and a Axial Wraith. I was thinking of a true crawler and was wondering if a Redcat would fit the bill as a starter.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:48 AM   #8

Yes. Glad now I ignored the axial fan club. I don't resent axial at all. But the redcat e10 is a lot better than what fanboys would have you believe. The same haters blow hundreds, sometimes more on their chosen brands anyways. Anything can be made great. The Everest is a great place to start and the patrons are a lot more approachable for help, if you need it. Have a look at the Facebook pages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Disco Stu III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I prefer black cats.

Name:  bc8016_lg.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  70.0 KB
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
I prefer black cats.

Attachment 357209
Now your talking, The tents for selling fireworks will going up here in June!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

buy a used losi.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
buy a used losi.
I have a Losi Night Crawler 2 and most parts are not available even though they still sell it. Looking for something that has parts support.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #13

I've seen a new, out of the box Redcat fall apart on a course at a hobby shop. I wouldn't buy one. Get a Vaterra Ascender. I'd say get an SCX10 II, but you'll have the same parts availability problems as the Losi.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I've seen a new, out of the box Redcat fall apart on a course at a hobby shop. I wouldn't buy one. Get a Vaterra Ascender. I'd say get an SCX10 II, but you'll have the same parts availability problems as the Losi.
Is a Vaterra a Horizon Product?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbs View Post
Is a Vaterra a Horizon Product?
It is. Don't let your experience with the NC prevent you from buying Horizon. They make great products and they have the best customer service in the business.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

there are tons of night crawler parts/ comp crawler parts from losi floating around. ive gotten 4 sets of axles in one month to include a set of spools and worms. just gotta check elsewhere.

most of my stuff I don't get directly from horizon for the losi crawlers anyway. a set of used axles is a good investment if you need parts. most of us don't use the stock esc plate anyway..
Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Redcat is a good starting point. Its way better then toy grade walmart stuff, but its not on the same level as the big brands. You get what you pay for in most cases. I recomend redcat to people just getting into rc. Its not horrible and its cheap. Once the addiction fully sets in most people have no problem dropping $400 for a decent truck. As for somebody just starting out that $400 seems ridiculous. So redcat gets them a basic idea how rcs work for a lot less money. As for you, i would say get something better if you already have nice race trucks. The redcat will more then likely dissapoint when compared to good quality.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcplante View Post
Redcat is a good starting point. Its way better then toy grade walmart stuff, but its not on the same level as the big brands. You get what you pay for in most cases. I recomend redcat to people just getting into rc. Its not horrible and its cheap. Once the addiction fully sets in most people have no problem dropping $400 for a decent truck. As for somebody just starting out that $400 seems ridiculous. So redcat gets them a basic idea how rcs work for a lot less money. As for you, i would say get something better if you already have nice race trucks. The redcat will more then likely dissapoint when compared to good quality.
That's some conflicting information there. I agree with the last point. The Recat will more than likely disappoint.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Not conflicting. I think redcat has a place. Somebody with zero hobbygrade experience would like them. Yes they will end up outgrowing it and upgrade to better things at some point, but it gets the interest going. Its the same reason you dont buy a 16 year old kid a nice high end car. You learn on the cheap stuff then move on. The op already has high end race trucks. Redcat probably is not for him at this point.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

the thing is, if you have high end race rigs and someone tells you redcat doesn't hold up well.. why question it?

How Are Redcats? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are the RedCats RS10 XT durable? What say you? halon Redcat Crawlers 9 01-17-2013 11:43 AM
any scale redcats ASG#930 Redcat Crawlers 9 05-28-2011 05:21 PM
crawling with other redcats rs-10s spanky84 Redcat Crawlers 7 03-14-2011 07:41 PM