Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: How's Your Minimum Wage Doing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: How's Your Minimum Wage Doing?

Seattle Minimum Wage Study: Why It

Hmmmmmmm...........
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I know far more about disability than I'll explain to you as well as how much fun it is to support someone that cannot support themselves on a small amount of income. Welcome to my life a few years ago let's say. I could have gone bankrupt but instead worked with everyone and busted my ass harder than ever at work to move up in pay and title. It's just what you're supposed to do instead of pointing fingers and crying.

Instead of whining about your problems you should have actually tried to find another job. I know it's not as fun as jerking off playing video games but it's just what adults or at least semi mature people do.

There you go again, bringing up personal responsibilities...
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
This article is written by the guy who runs Inequality.org. He decided that the University of Washington study saying its bad to raise the minimum wage was wrong. That is like believing the president of NAMBLA when he says law enforcement just just not understand the complexities of love between a 40 year old man and his 8 year old boy sexual partner.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
This article is written by the guy who runs Inequality.org. He decided that the University of Washington study saying its bad to raise the minimum wage was wrong. That is like believing the president of NAMBLA when he says law enforcement just just not understand the complexities of love between a 40 year old man and his 8 year old boy sexual partner.
He was also the director of some other bs on bs group. Really credible.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #65
Suck it up!

Quote:
I know it's not as fun as jerking off playing video games but it's just what adults or at least semi mature people do.
Shit man, do it right and you'll still have time for that.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:58 AM   #66
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I know far more about disability than I'll explain to you as well as how much fun it is to support someone that cannot support themselves on a small amount of income. Welcome to my life a few years ago let's say. I could have gone bankrupt but instead worked with everyone and busted my ass harder than ever at work to move up in pay and title. It's just what you're supposed to do instead of pointing fingers and crying.

Instead of whining about your problems you should have actually tried to find another job. I know it's not as fun as jerking off playing video games but it's just what adults or at least semi mature people do.
I tried working with a bank. I owed money on a car loan. I offered to pay it off, including the interest, but they decided that they were going to resell my car to me instead, and would give me the title to the car when I paid off literally double what I owed on it. I told them to come repo the car, after I called the auto loans manager twice, and the lawyer's secretary three times. They repoed a car that had a bad engine, bad transmission, and 190,000 miles on it.

As for the medical debts, every time I tried to call and 'work something out', they basically wanted 2.5-8x my monthly income from the job I had at the time.

So, 'just work it out' doesn't actually work all the time, and as a 'mature' person, you should have figured that out by now.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
I tried working with a bank. I owed money on a car loan. I offered to pay it off, including the interest, but they decided that they were going to resell my car to me instead, and would give me the title to the car when I paid off literally double what I owed on it. I told them to come repo the car, after I called the auto loans manager twice, and the lawyer's secretary three times. They repoed a car that had a bad engine, bad transmission, and 190,000 miles on it.

As for the medical debts, every time I tried to call and 'work something out', they basically wanted 2.5-8x my monthly income from the job I had at the time.

So, 'just work it out' doesn't actually work all the time, and as a 'mature' person, you should have figured that out by now.
You had a car you trashed that was broken and beat so you let it get repo'd.

Medical bills aren't all that hard to deal with, pay a decent amount on them monthly and they will let you keep paying them down. Been there, done that. I went 12 years without any medical coverage doing exactly that when needed. Adulting is hard, no wonder you don't do it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #68

I don't worry about minimum wage because my goals and aspirations are not in the basement of society. If you are worried about surviving on minimum wage you're doing something very wrong. I know lots of people with and without college degrees living a happy, comfortable life.

If you think you deserve $15 for flipping burgers you are a moron and I understand why you make minimum wage.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

More money more problems. It's a fact. To tell you the truth, most people aren't cut out for it. It isn't for everyone. And don't believe for a second that money is directly tied to happiness.

People don't understand that the mechanisms of these min wage industries are designed for minimum wage workers. They aren't designed for 15.00 per hour. By the time the industry start paying that, we will see a machine assembled big mac. Then the min wage people won't have a job at all.

I understand employer/employee resentment over pay. I have been on both sides. More pay without requiring higher performance is a disaster.

It is always kinds sad to see these threads cause it pits the personal responsibility people against the carefree and bad decision people. Both of which are entitled to oxygen, free will and existence.

The real problem in this country lies in the lack of manufacturing and our reliance on outsourcing labor to the opposite side of the planet. This creates weak and spotty opportunity and dilutes the skills of our workforce.

Regardless of abundance of opportunity, there's always gonna be the folks that will do the bare minimums. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being 18, working at mcd and smoking weed behind the dumpster for 8.00 an hr. 90% of the population understands that it will lead to nowhere.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #70
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang View Post
More money more problems. It's a fact. To tell you the truth, most people aren't cut out for it. It isn't for everyone. And don't believe for a second that money is directly tied to happiness.

People don't understand that the mechanisms of these min wage industries are designed for minimum wage workers. They aren't designed for 15.00 per hour. By the time the industry start paying that, we will see a machine assembled big mac. Then the min wage people won't have a job at all.

I understand employer/employee resentment over pay. I have been on both sides. More pay without requiring higher performance is a disaster.

It is always kinds sad to see these threads cause it pits the personal responsibility people against the carefree and bad decision people. Both of which are entitled to oxygen, free will and existence.

The real problem in this country lies in the lack of manufacturing and our reliance on outsourcing labor to the opposite side of the planet. This creates weak and spotty opportunity and dilutes the skills of our workforce.

Regardless of abundance of opportunity, there's always gonna be the folks that will do the bare minimums. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being 18, working at mcd and smoking weed behind the dumpster for 8.00 an hr. 90% of the population understands that it will lead to nowhere.
That's what I see happening. This push for $15 is only going to escalate the rate of which screens take over jobs at fast food joints. It's already starting, cashiers being replaced by boxes. I also a burger flipping robot arm...so....
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:14 AM   #71
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You had a car you trashed that was broken and beat so you let it get repo'd.

Medical bills aren't all that hard to deal with, pay a decent amount on them monthly and they will let you keep paying them down. Been there, done that. I went 12 years without any medical coverage doing exactly that when needed. Adulting is hard, no wonder you don't do it.
Uhhh, no. I was willing to pay what I owed on it. I owed $2,200 for the car loan. That's how much was left for me to pay on the loan I had taken out on the car, to fix it, several years before (it was originally $5k).

The bank's lawyer sent me a letter stating, in simple, plain terms, that the bank would give me the title to the car ONLY after I paid them $4,700. That $2,200 included the interest, late payments, etc. The ONLY justification they had on the amount of $4,700 is that the car was worth $3,700, and the lawyer tacked on a $1,000 fee.

Would YOU pay that much for a car that was beat up? No. I WAS willing to pay what I owed on the car, and I was willing, after that, to fix the car up myself, with my own money. Instead, the bank got a piece of crap, after they refused to work with me on a fair deal.

As for the medical debts, they wanted $5,000 a month, minimum payments, total, if you were to add all of the different collections agency's demands together. I didn't even make $1,000 a month at the time. I had no savings. I wasn't willing to ask my family for money. I tried working with several of the collections people, and they refused to budge.

2 years after the bankruptcy, I have no debts, no late payments, no outstanding bills, nothing. I bought a car with cash, I pay my insurance bill on time, and I have no more medical debts (yeah, I have insurance through work now).

Is this plain enough, now, for you, or should I just move to Canada already? (Actually, considering Scotland, but that's another story...)
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

If I ever become so sick or injured to the point that I drag my family into financial ruin I will simply buy a pound of weed and a 2 liter of Morphine, and then party like its 1999 for one more night.
rnpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

Spend more money to solve a financial problem?
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #74
RCC Addict

How hard is it to get a job that doesn't pay minimum wage

I started working at 14, and have never made minimum wage in my life. $8 an hour, sure, but that wasn't anywhere near minimum in 2002. JiffyLube started at like $9 washing windows. Have even the slightest bit of ambition and you'll never make minimum wage, although half the people making it are probably there on purpose.

Every one of my wife's old high school friends bragged about how little it cost them to have a kid, like $0-$50. "Just fill out this paperwork and it's all free!" Except there's an income requirement, like $24k a year They were astonished to hear that we didn't qualify. A few of them even walked in to mortages with $0 down and like 1.9% financing. Insanity.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
How hard is it to get a job that doesn't pay minimum wage

I started working at 14, and have never made minimum wage in my life. $8 an hour, sure, but that wasn't anywhere near minimum in 2002. JiffyLube started at like $9 washing windows. Have even the slightest bit of ambition and you'll never make minimum wage, although half the people making it are probably there on purpose.

Every one of my wife's old high school friends bragged about how little it cost them to have a kid, like $0-$50. "Just fill out this paperwork and it's all free!" Except there's an income requirement, like $24k a year They were astonished to hear that we didn't qualify. A few of them even walked in to mortages with $0 down and like 1.9% financing. Insanity.
Exactly! If you work a minimum wage job you are a **** up, period. I've never had one either.

Women like that should not be allowed to have more than one kid. It's batshit crazy we allow people to spend tax money like that when they don't contribute.

I think this meme is fitting here.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

How's Your Minimum Wage Doing? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
minimum c rateing and cells Boids Electronics 3 05-01-2010 04:20 PM
Minimum Amp for charger cueman Electronics 5 03-09-2010 03:20 PM
Minimum Time Between Searches = 60 second for now badger Comments, Suggestions, and Help 32 09-09-2008 12:32 AM