Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Cord Cutting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Cord Cutting...

Anybody here have any experience with "cutting the cord?" I'm giving a lot of thought to ditching cable TV and just keeping my internet service. The only deal-breaker is that the wife and I are sports fans, so getting CBS, NBC and FOX are a must. The local ABC affiliate is only 5 miles away, so that is not an issue. The others are about 50-55 miles due south-ish (Boston). I have tried some indoor antennas and didn't get great results. I do have a two story house with a walk-up attic, so would a roof antenna be in my best interests?

We are Prime members and got a Sling package, and those seem to fill in a good chuck of the stuff I watch on cable.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Cord Cutting...

I haven't had cable most of my life. And now with torrents and Prime, Youtube, etc., I can't say that I feel like I'm missing anything. But I'm not too into watching TV much anyways.

I say do it. Don't like it, then go back.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

We cut the cord over a year ago and the best hardest decision I've made in a long time. We're not sports fans so I can't relate to that. We've got Netflix and prime and when we sit down, we have things to watch. We have three kids under 3 so tv time is limited for us. I don't miss cable tv one bit. Can't believe it was as hard and drawn out of a decision as it was lol.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you have friends or family in the area with cable you can ask to "borrow" their login and stream just about any channel. We cut the cord 2 years ago. I'm a huge sports fan. I get most of the stuff I want with an antenna since we live really close to the local media market but sometimes I'll stream stuff if the antenna is getting crappy reception. Wind and rain really effect the signal quality. We use my wife's parent's cable login to stream. I'm watching the 24 hours at Daytona race live right now via streaming Fox Sports GO.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

If we can pull in the Boston stations, the only thing I will lose will be the Bruins and the Red Sox, as NESN is not streaming.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I an thinking about it, not really to go steaming instead cuz not much of that have my interest.
Though i must admit Curiositysteam look interesting but i think i will just put the TV in its box and live the rest of my life with clear eyes.

https://curiositystream.com/

To me it looks like sports are some of the most expensive stuff you can watch, at least that's how it is here for the sucker ( soccer ) fans
Personal i find watching any ball sport boring, and the same with playing most of them though i do enjoy having a little fun with a billiard table ( 3 cushion billiards )
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
I an thinking about it, not really to go steaming instead cuz not much of that have my interest.
Though i must admit Curiositysteam look interesting but i think i will just put the TV in its box and live the rest of my life with clear eyes.

https://curiositystream.com/

To me it looks like sports are some of the most expensive stuff you can watch, at least that's how it is here for the sucker ( soccer ) fans
Personal i find watching any ball sport boring, and the same with playing most of them though i do enjoy having a little fun with a billiard table ( 3 cushion billiards )
The money tied up in sports/TV deals in insane. That is why most of the streaming networks can't touch them.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #8

A good roof top antenna should work, I was using a clearstream 4 with a booster, 35' above ground and bringing in channels 75-85 miles away, local terrain will play a role in what can be picked up.
70ford390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Dumped our cable...$100 a month for a whole lot of crap we didn't even watch. Mounted an antennae in the attic, spliced it into the existing cable, and picked up all the broadcast channels. I picked up Netflix for the kids and our occasional TV binge.

Now our bill is $11.99 a month. Should have done it a long time ago!!!

Do miss my NASCAR races, but Youtube now shows them a week later, so it worked out. I'm just a week behind.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Look at https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/ see if it covers your sports needs.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I don't even own a TV, haven't had one for the past 8 years. I stream what I want to watch, I could give < one rat's ass about sitcoms or "talent" shows on prime time.
W/ Amazon prime, you can download/own a copy of any episode of just about anything you'd ever want to watch 1 day after it airs.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Like the above i see no need for cable. Cable to me is like having a landline. After $125mo Cox bills i got tired of that and cut the cord in 1999. Only have internet from AT&T for $20mo and put a HD antenna on the roof for local stuff which i haven't used since probably 2010. Everything i watch like TV shows, car races or ?? is recorded onto my PC, YouTube or my phone. Yes my TV shows are 24-48hrs behind but who cares. It is so funny to go to friends house who have cable and they are like zombies in front of the TV. I think like 2 years ago i switched to one of those fancy smartphones from my flip phone if that tells you anything.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I have cut the cord and kept my internet. What I did do is invest in a Roku and now have them through out the house. Not a sports fan that much but there's options for u. Plus I have it also on tablets and phones too. Check it out.
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I moved into an apartment for a year while building the new house and we opted for cable only. I didn’t miss it and neither did the wife or 3yr. We had everything streaming that we needed. $60 for internet vs $160 previous bill. We did buy a few movies thru Amazon here and there tho but still not $100 worth monthly. I did grab a thin antenna that was able to pick up the local channels pretty well.
Now in the new house and I let the wife talk me in to cable again for “when people come over or come watch the game”. Yea, that hasn’t happened and she doesn’t watch tv either. We pick up new series on Netflix and watch those while still paying $170 a month for cable and internet. The cord will get cut again soon. I’m going pick up a better antenna to catch the locals and then we’ll be set.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Haven't had cable for 10+yrs now. Everything is a couple clicks away. Although for a sports fan it's a bit trickier. There are streams or you could diy a powered antenna either outside or in your attic space... It's a one time fee only. Monthly cable bills are cancer.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Cut it several years ago and happy about it! Over the air antenna for the local tv stations, internet, computer, Netflix streaming, couple Rokus...stop wasting money and zombie tv time.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I'm pushing for my household to join the club. I just keep browsing for HD antenna's (antennae?) on my wife's phone so that she gets them popping up in her "feed." ... the trick is to make her think it is her idea. Once Top Gear (UK) was cancelled, there was NOTHING on tv that I cared about, that's already handled on the firestick. Having the local news available is all we lack.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

no cable at the new home..it doesn't come this far so they cut the cord, not me lol! I have two tv's with RCA 45 mile indoor antennas that pick up every channel we like locally. Hughes net is the only choice for internet here...that is not so good..
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Still have satellite tv, and no "smart phones". The wife and I don't go out, anywhere to eat or drink, so that's our entertainment, night out.
For what, two nights out, a few drinks and eats cost, that's the price of our satellite service for a month.
And phones, you've got to be kidding, the cost alone, then the service, no thanks. We have two laptops, and one desktop, for interweb, and the cost for interweb is $50 a month. TV is $80, so at $130. I know a couple families, that pay close to $200 for their phone packages, no thanks.
And our phones, unlimited texts, and minutes, sure no interweb, that's what the computers are for, comes to $52 a month. So for a grand total of $182 a month, we figure that "cheap" entertainment.
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:32 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Good point Zippy1, we're getting tired of smartphone crap too, Apple sucks ever after iOS10 and doesn't look like they are going back on the rails. We're not buying latest and greatest phones anymore and will getting sucked into monthly payments for $1000 phones lol.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Cord Cutting... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DC power cord TAT76 Electronics 4 03-19-2016 12:33 PM
Cutting the cord. dezfan Chit Chat 37 11-12-2012 08:26 PM
cutting tranny when cutting bottom of chassis off... dieselfuel Newbie General 1 02-23-2006 08:10 PM