Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: AMain Hobbies customer service less than stellar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default AMain Hobbies customer service less than stellar

I'll try to keep this short and pointed, but felt it worth posting separately from the first part of this experience in a build thread.

- Ordered interior supposedly for my Pro-Line Power Wagon body from Exclusive R/C through AMain ($74.99)

- Parts were sorry at best...seat too small, dash too short, door panels both driver's side, steering wheel generic JDM, etc.

- Checked into AMain's return policy. Stated items in new condition in original packaging could be returned within 30 days of purchase for refund or store credit

- Emailed AMain, stated I was unhappy with the parts and wanted store credit

- Amain answered, stated no problem, return the item with no restocking fee, we'll send you an RMA

- Filled out the RMA, sent the parts back

- Received another email from AMain...item received, we've credited your card $59.87. WTH?

- Emailed them again, asked for explanation why I received a partial refund instead of full store credit

- They answered saying "I apologize. Since you used PayPal we can't give you store credit, but I've filed paperwork to have the remainder of your full purchase amount refunded."

- Received another email this morning stating they apologize again, but the returns manager stated they had to repackage the item so it was not in new condition, therefore the 15% restocking fee was assessed.

To begin with, in what universe is 15% of $74.99 $15.12? Second, I put the parts back in their original bags within the original cardboard flap, which they apparently weren't happy with because they had to use $ .04 worth of new bags so they charge me a 20% restocking fee because they can't do math any better than they can follow their own policy or follow-through with their statements.

- I emailed them one final time suggesting they reword their policy to include "all packaging in new condition", or possibly not to retail substandard products in the first place. I then said I hoped $15 was worth losing a customer as I would no longer be patronizing AMain hobbies.

Here's the kicker. Five minutes later I got another email apologizing again and offering me a store voucher for the remaining $15.12. If it was that easy, why not just refund the entire amount to begin with?? Too late.

Done with AMain...too many other places to deal with. /rant

Last edited by 2mtech; 05-07-2018 at 06:01 PM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: AMain Hobbies customer service less than stellar

Yeah it happens, the Joy of online shopping.

I don't want to sound rude but you are like the first ever i see complaining about Amain.

It's kinda the same with your phone company, have to fight a little to get what you want.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I’ve had nothing but great experiences with RPP Hobby. Super fast shipping. Easy to deal with if and when there is an issue.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I never had an issue with RPP, or Tower, or RC Planet either.

All I expected them to do was what they SAID they'd do...I shouldn't have to fight for that ;)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

I've had both good and bad experiences with AMain. I've experienced extremely slow shipping and poor customer service. Lately I've had good experiences.

I have nothing good to say about Exclusive.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

I don’t know man, ultimately you got what you wanted out of it even though it was repackaged when returned, I’d chalk that up to a win myself. Even if it was a bit of a hassle.

On the other hand, I would appreciate more due diligence from amain for what they list as items being compatible with. Perhaps they are just following what the manufacturers provide.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Yeah it happens, the Joy of online shopping.

I don't want to sound rude but you are like the first ever i see complaining about Amain.

It's kinda the same with your phone company, have to fight a little to get what you want.

Well you can include me in that, so that's 2. I just never bothered to vent on the internet. But Ill never go back.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
I don’t know man, ultimately you got what you wanted out of it even though it was repackaged when returned, I’d chalk that up to a win myself. Even if it was a bit of a hassle.

On the other hand, I would appreciate more due diligence from amain for what they list as items being compatible with. Perhaps they are just following what the manufacturers provide.
Ultimately, I never answered the last email, and won't. They can keep their voucher.

I follow through with my statements

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2018, 06:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
You haven't looked hard enough.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I guess you are right...
For you in the US it might be easier to find alternatives but for Canada, Amain remains the best option for low cost shipping and the vast inventory.

Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have used Amain a lot over the years and my one interaction with customer service was quite good.

A motor I ordered was incorrectly listed as in stock, Amain emailed me about the situation and apologized. I asked if I could substitute the motor for another brand that was similar but $5-10 more and they shipped out the more expensive motor for the same price as the one I originally ordered.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I have used Amain a lot over the years and my one interaction with customer service was quite good.

A motor I ordered was incorrectly listed as in stock, Amain emailed me about the situation and apologized. I asked if I could substitute the motor for another brand that was similar but $5-10 more and they shipped out the more expensive motor for the same price as the one I originally ordered.
That's the thing. I've had horrible and great customer service from AMain. I honestly think it depends on the rep you deal with. They're not consistent. That's for sure.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Amain still the best choice for international customers and the shipping is the most cheapest. Customer service still okay for me. Highly recommended ( I pay via PayPal only )
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote

AMain Hobbies customer service less than stellar - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gripe about Amain hobbies. 68_f100 Chit Chat 12 09-12-2014 09:53 AM
Holmes hobbies customer service ?? realsickclown Electronics 21 01-23-2014 07:59 PM