Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Speed Limiters - The Wave Is Coming . . . Oh No!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Speed Limiters - The Wave Is Coming . . . Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
I think our 20's are a point in our lives to test if we are worthy to live past them lol
Nailed it. lol.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
oddly ive never been a top speed guy. always more into acceleration.
that being said ive been researching ways to join the 200mph club legally for several years now. alot more involved than one would ever think, cages, fire supression, work up threw mph ranks. etc. you cant just show up to an event with a fast car and go balls out. :(
Even at Bonneville? I'm sure all those rules are strictly driven by insurance companies.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Aside for a few stretches of German autobahn i think the fastest speeds in most EU countries are 130 km/h, and since technology now make it easy to do and many people have proven again and again they cant handle it, then why not.
The norm motorway speed here are 130 km/h with a drop to 110 km/h where there are on/off ramps.
I just do 110 in my little red Jap mini hatchback, that's just fine by me, and i am long past my pedal to the metal days of the 90ties.

Some current cars granted in the high end segment already read road signs and try to adjust car speed according to that, but it is override able so rich entitled idiots can still drive their big BMW and so on cars like idiots.
At least i don't hear any owners of those cars complain about not being able to drive as they please, which we all know and see every day that are highly likely they will.

Trucks have long been capped at 80 km/h here, and though it is common for truckers to bypass that, and i have seen a tractor trailer do 110 km/h.
Then i don't hear them whine about it.
Maybe due to us EU boys having strict rules for how much a trucker can drive in a day / week / month, so no amped up 20 hour driving - 4 hour sleeping truckers here.

BUT ! with a rule like this, they must make sure people can get their speed demon off in safe environments on tracks, which are next to not possible here unless you drive in a race class, track days pretty much are not a thing here.
And the tracks we have, well you will be best of riding them in a go cart cuz they are that small.

> 80% of all cars pass me, and i pretty much never go under the speed limit.
I love speed, and i would like to die in a blaze of petrol glory, but i would so hate if i took someone else with me.
So i have no race car - no motorsport license, so i now drive as the law dictate i must drive for your and my own safety.

And now to polish my glory before i go to bed

Last edited by Peaker; 03-27-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

My 200 is limited to 120, as is the 2011-2014 Dodge Avenger with either the 2.4l or the 3.6l, and the 3.6l cars with the limiter removed have been known to exceed 150mph.....I know of one or two guys that not only did it, but didn't even change out the T-Rated hockey pucks our cars came with. I have no reason to attempt the 120 with mine (still good enough for considerable charges here), but I'm thinking more along the lines of Cory, more towards acceleration, braking, and handling with my car since those would make more sense.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Braking late wins races.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #26
Suck it up!

I buried the speedo in my first two cars.

First was the '68 Bonneville. Ran the needle past 120 and kept going until it disappeared entirely. Oh yeah, on bias ply tires.

Second was the '79 Camaro. Speedo went to 130 (?). Wound it around until it stopped moving. Had to plant my foot on the dash once I crested 100 because the vibrations were so bad.

After those two, I never really cared to do it again. I think I accidentally went 80 mph last year.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

My '94 Deville was limited at 184km/h - It was my first car back around 2002 and I would hit the limiter fairly often living out in the country with wide open farm roads (and few cops on the main roads).

I hit 200km/h in my '99 Denali before backing off the gas, not sure what I would have gotten to if I kept going.
Another time I lost a rear wheel going 180 on the highway when the lug nuts sheared off and skidded over 2 kilometers. Initially I thought one of the brakes had seized up, but my girlfriend at the time pointed out the rooster tail of sparks i the rearview mirror and I buckled up and put on the 4-ways until I could coast to a stop. They found the lost wheel and estimated it had gone about a km on its own (the tire went back on the truck, but the rim was shot)

I remember hitting the limiter in my friend's girlfriends '90s Cherokee at around 165km/h.

I had my '90 190e (with a 3 litre swap from a 300e) up around 185km/h with room to go, but my ball joints were shot and the car was shaking too hard to go any faster.

I never topped out my f150, Dakota, Silverado, or my current truck - an '07 Ram, as I just don't feel the need to exceed 150-160km/h or so, and haven't for several years now.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:37 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Speed limited programming is not new. My 07 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax's stock ECM was limited to 90mph. It was never a problem since I never drive the truck that fast in the first place.

My '96 Silverado C3500 finds the speed limiter @ ~90mph(140kph)
Seeing as our max posted limit here is ~70mph (110kph) the need for doing anymore is pretty limited (especially cos getting caught at 140kph will see it impounded & me riding the bus for 6 months)
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:11 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I've had a few top out below 120, but my 06 Avalon pulled strong to 146 before cutoff. Had power to do more too
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
After those two, I never really cared to do it again. I think I accidentally went 80 mph last year.
On some of the highways around here you'd get run over at 80 MPH. That is when you're not sitting in a traffic jam. Man, I ****ing hate cities!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Speed Limiters - The Wave Is Coming . . . Oh No! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coming soon: The RC10 Speed Project! Team CowRC Non Crawler RC's 0 01-29-2014 01:17 AM
Wave out gionata78 Scale Videos! 0 02-17-2013 02:00 PM
foodsticks earplug shock limiters are da bomb......! themantoknow Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 1 07-19-2010 11:34 AM
what are the shock limiters for? yellowpasta2000 Axial SCX-10 7 12-07-2009 08:24 PM
rtr shocks travel limiters? dngrrngr Newbie General 5 04-15-2008 07:44 PM