Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Would it work; front or rear diff as a transmission?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2023, 12:41 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Would it work; front or rear diff as a transmission?

So here I'm thinking of using a traxxas summit lockable front or rear differential as a transmission that splits front to back power on a rally build. Its really big. Don't most bashers, old nitro trucks, etc have a similar gear ratio as a diff? This way the transmission is small, no pinion you have limited slip/awd, and a fully lockable 4x4? Would that work?

Another idea I had was using an arduino, some optical sensors, and disc brake system (losi promoto) to create a full on electronic "drivers assist" like some of the 250k 1:1 have. ABS, launch control, traction control, etc. I think the active suspension module from superscale2020 could even be integrated for track like performance.

Plausible?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2023, 12:58 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Would it work; front or rear diff as a transmission?

This is beyond my level of RCing but the thought of it all sounds super fun. I like seeing those rally videos of people recording themselves following their rally car through a course.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
So here I'm thinking of using a traxxas summit lockable front or rear differential as a transmission that splits front to back power on a rally build. Its really big. Don't most bashers, old nitro trucks, etc have a similar gear ratio as a diff? This way the transmission is small, no pinion you have limited slip/awd, and a fully lockable 4x4? Would that work?

Another idea I had was using an arduino, some optical sensors, and disc brake system (losi promoto) to create a full on electronic "drivers assist" like some of the 250k 1:1 have. ABS, launch control, traction control, etc. I think the active suspension module from superscale2020 could even be integrated for track like performance.

Plausible?
the diff idea should work as long as your tires aren't to big the gearing would be like a 3 gear with no spur or pinion gear I have my d12 set up like that a outrunner direct drive to a 3 gear but it's only running 3 inch tall tires the 3.gear is about 3 to 1 and a diff is around 3 to 1 so the ratios are close

the gearing creates a spongy feeling on the throttle plenty of torque but it's not right there like most rigs

probably fine for a rally car the set up would in a way limit your off the line torque

the open center diff will help keep the front wheels on the ground if you still have to much torque off the line

with the right power system I'll bet it would be a vary forgiving vary drivable rally rig

I have absolutely no clue what the second part of your question is what your asking or what any of those components are or would do

in the 1to1 world launch control is basically just reving the engine and dumping the clutch so no you wouldn't get launch control that gearing will cause the opposite affect in my opinion

traction control is usually turned off when off road or trying to get any performance out of a awd system mechanical systems work best ie electric coolaid and or lockers

anti lock braking would be on the controller I would imagine the better your radio the better your anti lock breaking system would work lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:48 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
...like some of the 250k 1:1 have.
What is a ''250k 1:1'' ?

Genuine question.
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

$250,000 race cars, that can bias power and torque to each wheel independently.

For example: a 1/8 nitro race buggy that has a disc brake at each end of the diff output. So 2 total, rach independently contollable via 2 servos to slow the unloading front end.

My explanation is probably clear as mud.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:03 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Ferp, this is for example in a 1/5 rally car. Each wheel has its own disc brake, each controlled via micro servo. The center diff would also have a disc brake and micro servo on each end.

Brake cables used throughout

If the micro servos aren't up to the task, then regular sized ones will do. Plus there are other ways to pull cables

Technically now you can apply the brakes power to any one wheel while having all others receiving different amounts of power, or be at a complete halt.

Each diff would have some sort if diff fluid. However, im unsure of the cst rating

Second part of the same project is applying a "ABS" ring gear, something similar to say like the Traxxas optidrive system in their transmission, going to each driveshaft. These 6 sensor would feed a small (arduino) computer, and it in turn would apply a signal to each servo to hit the brakes on a slipping wheel, or whatever.

I think this would give you mechanical ABS, stability control, traction control, launch control, yaw control and not sure what else.

Vw has something similar on their GTI and R where they apply the brakes on the inner wheel in a turn to pull the car through the turn.

I think you could do balls out driving with less of a chance of crashing.

Last edited by Gula; 12-07-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:03 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Subaru has all those features to i have a rig with all that fancy stuff I hate it it never gets it right i had to undo all the sensors and go mechanical the computer just doesn't respond fast enuff and usually over responds causing jurking and pulling or outright loss of control you really have to overpower the steering wheel and ride it out not fun I have a friend who lost there roo from that

my daily driver is still mostly mechanical the computer still runs the abs system the center diff and the front and rear diffs run electric coolaid and it's the last year for the non computer controller trans and traction control
my oldest one had mechanical launch control it was kinda cool a spooled up rear and up front a manual traction aid controlled by a lever works great and and can be split for steering breakes in the middle a manual locking center diff also has front dig lol
anyway you guess which one handles the best off road

ok my point is unless you have 250k to create a computer system than can do what your thinking of doing for a rc car and have years to develop and test the system it probably won't work right seeing as how Subaru spent millions on there system and it still doesn't work right
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:30 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
$250,000 race cars, that can bias power and torque to each wheel independently.
Aha, gotcha!
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote

Would it work; front or rear diff as a transmission? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front/rear metal diff housings jeeptec Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 5 05-20-2020 06:17 AM
Front Diff to use as Rear Open Diff ongbenghui Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 03-02-2017 12:54 PM
Front and rear diff question googs Axial Yeti 12 05-22-2015 02:15 AM
Front and rear diff ratio slimfire Newbie General 4 10-24-2012 10:56 AM