Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: My Own Version Of Hostler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loanshark View Post
Also, I was wondering if my measurments any close to yours? Do you mind sharing that info with me now?
can't even believe you asked that.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

While the grocery store versions are soft drinks, neither hold a candle to the real versions ;)
He hasn't even finished it yet.... No one knows yet. Hell it could even come out better. You never now. I like that quote a lot. I'll have to remember that.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No he's calling it the Hostler, just like you can get the grocery store version of Dr. Pepper called "Dr. Skipper" or the Mountain Dew version "Mountain Mist".

While the grocery store versions are soft drinks, neither hold a candle to the real versions ;)
Yup, they just leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Yup, they just leave a bad taste in your mouth.
actually they leave you wishing you had just spent the extra dollar for the real deal.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
actually they leave you wishing you had just spent the extra dollar for the real deal.
That's a little more accurate!
I don't see an issue with re-popping a design for your own use. I'm way more inclined to make things myself if I can vs. just opening the checkbook. If you have the ability and the tooling, why not make it yourself?
BUT- if you blatantly copy another design and produce it for sale to others for your profit - that's ripping someone off, plain and simple.
On the other side of the coin, at this point in time just how innovative can someone get building a tube chassis? Any group of well designed tube chassis built by different fabricators are still going to share some common characteristics. Where do you draw the line on whether someone is "copying" or not?
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Where do you draw the line on whether someone is "copying" or not?

Basically when they say they are making their own version and asking the manufacturer for measurements and such...
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No he's calling it the Hostler, just like you can get the grocery store version of Dr. Pepper called "Dr. Skipper" or the Mountain Dew version "Mountain Mist".

And this holds true for all chassis, not just to the Hustler!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Basically when they say they are making their own version and asking the manufacturer for measurements and such...
Uhh yeah... that line was drawn a few paces back from this point.

And to loanshark... this isnt all about YOU and YOUR new build- it is kind of an issue that has come up in the past, and I am certain will come up in the future. The issue being; who really "owns" a concept, or design. The "Mountain Mist / Mountain Dew" comparison I think best describes it; how much change is enough to call it your own? I heard somewhere that a 10% change is all that it needed to avoid copyright infringement (I am not a lawyer, nor do I play on on the net). Just my
Old 03-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:

No different than RC4WD buying TLT and Hilift axles, measuring them, and then selling aluminum versions.

When he builds his own, he can make changes in design to suit his own tastes and desires.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
No different than RC4WD buying TLT and Hilift axles, measuring them, and then selling aluminum versions.

When he builds his own, he can make changes in design to suit his own tastes and desires.

Making an improved aftermarket version of something that is not available from anywhere else is completely different than copying a design and selling it.

EDIT: to be clear, I am not bagging on the thread starter as he is just doing it for himself. I built a stick copy myself at one time.

Last edited by Unholy; 03-28-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #31
I joined the Band!

I asked for their measurments just to see how close I came to theirs. What I did, I just used my little knowlege of the Falcon chassis that I bought from them, then took some rough measurments from their listed photo on this site and started bending. Since it is for my use only, I don't think it would hurt if they had shard the WxLxH with me. They didn't, so no worries. I keep on building and making sure I make it a perfect for my taste.

I was one of the first one buying RCP's Falcon directly from them. So my idea is not stealing a design, but to copy someone's bright ideas, again, not for profit but for personal use only.

Besides, if the item isn't patented, then anyone can buy one and make exact copy for sale. That is the reason there are patent laws and they should be listed with the product or on their advertisments.

So in case if someone is making the exact copy of theirs for sale, RCP can't do much unless they have the patent documentations in hand.

So, as far as I have heard from you all, nothing but just complains and complains. Who is going to have a nice comment about 2nd tuber which is not even 1/2 complete?

Support your vendors and support the new ones in this hobby to get better and stop being so anal about things. I would have been happy to hear one nice comment in here.

There was a girl started a thread making a VW tuber and look in there, there are tons of nice comments and none for me. Why is that? Can anyone explain that to me?

Quote:
loanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was one of the first one buying RCP's Falcon directly from them. So my idea is not stealing a design, but to copy someone's bright ideas, again, not for profit but for personal use only.
Kind of like copying DVD's and CD's you bought... however with those, if the originals are destroyed, your supposed to destroy any remaining backups... You obviously have alot of time and effort into it, looks good so far.

Either way, I would be lieing If I said I wouldnt do the same if I could.

I have an awesome F-100 tuber, and I would make a copy of it if I could, so I could build a second one, would be so much easier and cheaper than buying it from the person that made the original.

Last edited by Mirage; 03-28-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #33
I joined the Band!

Do you do that when you copy CD's or DVD's? And please don't tell me that you haven't downloaded music from various sources without paying. Isn't that suppose to be illegal?

Quote:
Kind of like copying DVD's and CD's you bought... however with those, if the originals are destroyed, your supposed to destroy any remaining backups....
Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Do you do that when you copy CD's or DVD's? And please don't tell me that you haven't downloaded music from various sources without paying. Isn't that suppose to be illegal?
You are allowed to make copies of CD's and DVD's that you own.... but seriously... who needs a copy of a CD or DVD they already own????
I was just trying to illustrate a point.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #35
I joined the Band!

You are not allowed to make copies of books, CD's, DVD's and such for distribution unless you have a permission. I am making my own version of the chassis, and it is impossible if it is going to come out the same exact thing as they have. My intention is for personal use and that said, then what is the worry?

But again, if the item isn't patented, then, anyone can make copies for sale and they can't do much unless they have the proper docs.

Besides, you are comparing apples and oranges buddy. This forum is all about crawlers of any kind, not soda pops, or CDs.

Quote:
You are allowed to make copies of CD's and DVD's that you own.... but seriously... who needs a copy of a CD or DVD they already own????
I was just trying to illustrate a point.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #36
Hell's Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
It is not patented. He can do whatever he want's as long as it does not violate any copyrights.
Yeah, like his avatar. Daimler Chrysler gets very cranky when people use there trademarks, I don't really care.
LumTheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
You are not allowed to make copies of books, CD's, DVD's and such for distribution unless you have a permission. I am making my own version of the chassis, and it is impossible if it is going to come out the same exact thing as they have. My intention is for personal use and that said, then what is the worry?

But again, if the item isn't patented, then, anyone can make copies for sale and they can't do much unless they have the proper docs.

Besides, you are comparing apples and oranges buddy. This forum is all about crawlers of any kind, not soda pops, or CDs.
Never once said you were making them to sell.... try re-reading what I said, then retype your post to acordingly.... it will make more sense then.

Try and help a guy plead his case and he wines.....
Old 03-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

i think everyone whould be quiet, i think, after reading all of this that he now know enough of the copyright laws, and what he can do, and that he know that he spelled it wrong, also it's not going to tutch the real hustler, and it is for him only, and is somone wanted to build a tuber like the hustler, you guys should not be this mean to him, becouse not everyone can buy a $330 chassis!

just my 2€
SnailMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

yet again, another thread that has a complete 180 turn into a place where it should not be...

this is a build thread, is it not? so continue building!
srfrkyle1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #40
I joined the Band!

You mean their trademark? It is out there and everyone is using it, why not me? Besides, I bet if they come to my gurage and see 2004 Rubicon and 2004 Grand Cherokee and 2000 Cherokee sport, they will thank me instead of serving me with a law suit documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocjeeper View Post
Yeah, like his avatar. Daimler Chrysler gets very cranky when people use there trademarks, I don't really care.