Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Competition Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2004, 07:08 PM   #21
RSI
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Competition Rules

ow yea wut about us few guys that have the skills to drive nitro and dont have reverse? can we just like pull our trucks backward and call that a reverse?

ryan
RSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2004, 07:29 PM   #22
The Wheels Keep Turning

I’ve seen threads before where the entire list of competition rules was being discussed and the thread always get out of hand. I think a set of standard rules is a good idea and we should attempt to create such a document. We could manage such a task as follows:

1) Gather constituency. First make sure the majority of people we want involved are involved

2) Create Sections:

a. Example: Vehicle Design, Courses/Stages, Etc.

3) Discuss and complete each section one at a time before moving on to another section. We should all do our best to stay on topic and divide sections into sub-sections and create each rule one at a time.

Hopefully this will make this daunting task more manageable.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:36 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ow yea wut about us few guys that have the skills to drive nitro and dont have reverse? can we just like pull our trucks backward and call that a reverse?

ryan

A little cocky arn't we?

So basicly you could turn your rig around in front of every major obstical then drag it over if you wanted to? 8O

Anywho I completely agree with what Kevin said, but I personaly think any rules we come up with should be easaly adaptable to a certain area and any number/type of trucks and entrants. Isn't trying to come up with a universal set of rules for a sport that varrys so much in every aspect fun?
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:33 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSI

ryan
Give me 2 weeks and I will come down from the mountain and spank your ass all over with an electric, then would you be quit??

Your just like your uncle in all the bad ways, I think he learned, so talk to him.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:41 AM   #25
RSI
Rock Crawler

my uncle? i think u mean my brother.....

my truck doesnt have reverse and i didnt mean i was gonna do that i was saying just like grab the bumper and pull it straight back? would that be legal for the few of us?

ryan
Old 09-23-2004, 08:42 AM   #26
RSI
Rock Crawler

hey dude go to rcjimsplace.com they are planning on a fun crawl this sunday if i get my truck put together to where it can drive i will be there

ryan
Old 09-23-2004, 08:47 AM   #27
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSI
my truck doesnt have reverse and i didnt mean i was gonna do that i was saying just like grab the bumper and pull it straight back? would that be legal for the few of us?

ryan
I think that would be a reposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSI
hey dude go to rcjimsplace.com they are planning on a fun crawl this sunday if i get my truck put together to where it can drive i will be there
Stay on the topic please RSI[/quote]
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:12 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Okay Okay so it seems like no matter what people are going to be unhappy with the competition rules. For the most part most the new items added to the already "norm" used in the UTRCRC and Colorado comps are just going to make the event way to easy. I understand that there are beginners that will get frustrated and until the classes are divided into a "Pro" class and "Beginner" there will be NO equality and the beginners will continue feeling frustrated. The top drivers at our comps and the comps provided in Colorado by Digler are really becoming easier and easier as our skills increase and the vehicles become more and more honed. What makes the comp really challenging is the points system used, and if we make them to easy then the guys that would be concidered "Pro" are going to walk away with zero points.

I like the UTRCRC/Colorado point system as it sits. Yes it could use some fine tuning. Maybe a max points rule (determined for each course, by the course builder), or somthing, but for the most part the rules are pretty dang fair, while still challenging.

Griz, I like the rear steer penalties and the bonus gates (actually I hate the rear steer penalty because I use it too dang much ). The bonus gates are a good way of making a course more or less challenging for the advanced and new crawlers. We need to keep in mind however that as we all travel from comp to comp that there are not always alternate routes available, but we can do our best to figure that out per course.

As for trash talking on this thread....keep it to yourself. You want to really show your skills, then come out to one of the Utah or Colorado events and prove yourself out there. The more crawlers the better.

So how do we wrap this all up and determin what scoring system we all want to use? Griz, Dig, Pinchflat, etc....?

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #29
RCC Addict

I like the UT/ Colorado rule and if they were first and it is easy than I agree. The thing about being to young a sport for different classes is also right. I am for all in one class and agree with Grizz's last post. I know I was pushing for a beginner type thing and I geuss they all can begin like everbody else, just start doing it. Thats what I did in both areas, 1:1 and now RC. I geuss that is fare and still leaves choise.

Doug
WARCRC
Old 09-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

How about handicap (points) for 2.2's, TLT's, stock's, etc
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo
For the most part most the new items added to the already "norm" used in the UTRCRC and Colorado comps are just going to make the event way to easy.
Which rules would make it easier

Quote:
I like the UTRCRC/Colorado point system as it sits. Yes it could use some fine tuning. Maybe a max points rule (determined for each course, by the course builder), or somthing, but for the most part the rules are pretty dang fair, while still challenging.
I agree I am just asking for more clarity on those rules

Quote:
Griz, I like the rear steer penalties and the bonus gates (actually I hate the rear steer penalty because I use it too dang much ). The bonus gates are a good way of making a course more or less challenging for the advanced and new crawlers. We need to keep in mind however that as we all travel from comp to comp that there are not always alternate routes available, but we can do our best to figure that out per course.
Still hate it ..............after I went out bought 2 servos for my two trucks

Quote:
As for trash talking on this thread....keep it to yourself. You want to really show your skills, then come out to one of the Utah or Colorado events and prove yourself out there. The more crawlers the better.
I agree............I thought my stuff was decent until I went to Colorado
Old 09-23-2004, 09:21 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Eh 4ws and reverse penalties are lame. It's like being able to run a blown rail in dragracing but makeing you use whitewall tires, just because it makes getting off the line harder. And it just looks so much cooler to crab over junk
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:37 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

How can you penalize for using rear steer if there are no classes with limitations?
BigSmokinGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:01 PM   #34
R.I.P. Chip

I also think there should be no penalty for rear steer.

Reasons:

1. In 1:1 the penalty exists because having rear steer is a major expense.
2. These RCCrawlers don't turn as sharp in scale as 1:1 cars in scale.
3. Some people don't have rear steer setup on a third channel, just y'ed off. They'd end up getting the penalty on every course.

I do think we need a size limitation on the crawlers. Max length and max width. Building a square box and dropping all the cars into it before the event would be the easiest way to make sure everyone is within the limits. I'd suggest max width be x-factor axles with kongs, max length be same rig with 16" wheelbase.

The point of this is that it will keep all the rigs close to the same as far as abilities. Remember when all the colorado guys were running under 15" wheelbases, then tried to compete with the utah guys all around 16". The colorado guys couldn't get up any of the stuff the utah guys walked. At least if we knew the overall size limit we could all build our cars and courses to those specs. Nothing says you couldn't run a 13" wheelbase if you wanted, just not over a certain limit.

I also don't like letting people bypass gates for any reason. The point of these events is to go over the rocks not around them.

There needs to be a max points limit on a course, not just whatever the highest guy got +1. In UROC the max points is 40, or 4 gates. Once you get max points your run is over. The only way you could get more than 40 points is if you were broke and couldn't even attempt a course, UROC gives you 50 point for that.

Another thing I'd like to make like UROC is, instead of just running 2 100 yard courses for an event, is to break those courses into 5 sections each, so for a full event you would run 10, 20 yard courses.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:37 PM   #35
RSI
Rock Crawler

i also list utrcrc rules

id say the wheelbase limit has to be 18 ish if theres gonna be one because that is about the perfect wheelbase

ryan
Old 09-23-2004, 10:58 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSI

id say the wheelbase limit has to be 18 ish if theres gonna be one because that is about the perfect wheelbase

ryan
for you??

On topic: Jason I really like the "box" it will make peaple think out side the box to get in the box. I like the 16" wheelbase too. It will let a smaller area to crawl easyer to make big.

I am amazed at what
12 3/8" wb an 2.2's rollin 5" tires will do.

There is some "scale" wheeler talk for ya.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:15 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

On the Outerlimits RC they mentioned closing loopholes in their (Aussie) rules.

I already know of 4-5 incidents were some controversy has come up

The Utah rules are very good the just need to be a little more defined.

Some groups use tennis balls which present a slightly different situation than then flags used by other groups.

There seems to be some rules almost everyone agrrees with,and some of them are more controversial rules like "size & tire limits, and "rear-steer points". Maybe they sould be listed as an option rule

Example: Green Tree Comp Dec 25th RCCrawler.com Rules with options A,C

I could then go to the rules section on the website
Old 09-24-2004, 08:18 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

So it sounds like we have a pretty good idea on what we want. We use the UTRCRC/Colorado point system with a max point system added. We then should come up with a specification on the rigs themselves (sizes and such).

As for handicap points....If it really comes down to that then we need to split the classes. Right now we only have enough guys to put together a "Pro"/"Mod" class, which is why Pinch and myself are building 2.2 crawlers to add more versatility.

So what kind of specs do we all want to use?

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #39
RCC Addict

I would like to see the only restiction on the top class to be 8" like was said before and that has to fit the "box". quik and simple. Also no more than two axles and must be a round tire like vehicle.

I would to not ever want see a spotter or spotter assistance, You could stand at the end where the finish gate is and see from there. That keeps the driver in the sport and money can't buy driving.

Also times should start counting for clean runs. That could be takin care with transponders like RC racing and a time limit set on the cuorses. One at the start gate to start it and one at the finish gate to stp the clock. It is not hard to make a system like that portable, a lap top and a generater/batt system.

The 2.2 if there is going to be a class should have to be a 2.2 rimmed rig and a 2.2 based model. The wheel base should not exceded 13"s center to center and a tire restriction of 6.5 inches because of the variose sizes available. The width I couldn't tell you, I can't seem to get width extenders anywhere and I still don't have my new visa. The "box" of a different size would apply in the end. If you want to fun duallys on you 2.2 is fine, just fit them on a 2.2 rim. It can be done if you want. I run a totaly different tire than most at 4.9"s advertised and can do alot with such said restrictions.

I like the KISS behind this, "keep it simple ......." thats makes for quik events with large turnouts of competiter's, wich will happen sooner than alot think I predict.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:40 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

So it seems Utah/Colo rules are going to be the starting point? Are these posted somewhere?
BigSmokinGun is offline   Reply With Quote