Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Another cheap climber(by Jamus)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Keep it wired parallel.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Jamus, from your description, I think you are running in series. If you have 1 wire connected 2 both motors without touching the esc that is series. Parallel is when you run the pos from the esc to the pos of both motors through a y, and the same with neg. Series is when you run a wire from the pos of the esc to 1 motor, a long wire to the other motor, and another wire from the 2nd motor back to the neg on the esc, in a big loop( just like an nimh pack).Running parallel now and I was wondering if series would give me more speed or torque?
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Here's how mine is wired right now, with thicker wire running to the rear motor. On a side note I just ordered a 12T pinion to add to the front, combat the clodstall.

Last edited by Jamus; 06-03-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Sorry, misunderstood your post lol. That is parallel!
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Small update on my rig. I have heard that offsetting pinions helps with the stall, but never really considered it a priority. Well I got around to installing a 12T up front, with stock 11T out back. Big improvement, in both directions too, not just forward. I've only tested it this evening inside on carpet, but it runs smoother, climbs with more control. At least it seems to be the case to me. For the price of a single pinion, I'd definitely recommend doing it.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

I have been wanting to do that. I'm glad to hear you have had a good result with it. Make it easy for us and give us a part number!
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Got mine from Toyz since they are quick and only $2 shipping on a small order. 12T pinion made for the Duratrax Vendetta.
I think this is the one i got but any detta pinion will work as they are also mod 0.6 like out cliff climbers, they run 2.3mm shaft motors also.
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...9986&cat_name=
Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Uhm ... is the clod stall on the front axle? I've experienced it, i think, but it's not that bad on mine. Mine is running parallel, but ESC -> Front Motor -> Rear Motor. That way, front motor always has current thru it, so the rear doesnt roll you over all the time. I haven't tried the rear first, may be one day i will, but for now i like it how it is. May be thicker wires will be good for mine too -_-
ccbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Clodstall is the rear stalling on inclines, more or less. I have mine wired like yours but backwards, run to the rear motor, then up to the front. With the higher tooth gear up front, the front spins a little faster but the rear has a little bit more torque. It kinda evens out the system I think. Again, this is my first MOA so I'm learning as I go.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
Got mine from Toyz since they are quick and only $2 shipping on a small order. 12T pinion made for the Duratrax Vendetta.
I think this is the one i got but any detta pinion will work as they are also mod 0.6 like out cliff climbers, they run 2.3mm shaft motors also.
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...9986&cat_name=

Thanks a bunch!
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

Jamus, it's my first MOA (btw i never understood what that means -_- Motor something Axle? :P), but i prefer my rear to be like that for now. When i do it with 4ch radio and 2 separate esc's that'd fix eeeverything There is time till that happens too I want a mini E-Revo now -_- :S
ccbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Traxxas minis have derailed many peoples plans lately, haha.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Well today I decided to bring a few rocks over to the garage. Only got 3 wheelbarrow loads moved but it's a start, I'll keep adding to it, maybe even some broken cinderblock.. I tried the CC on it and made a vid, also the first test of the 12T pinion. It's much better now, though I think upping the volts will be the answer. I think I'll swap in an XL5 esc, can they handle 9-cell? Anyway, here's the vid.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Seems to drive nice, I will have to get a 12t and try that, not sure the xl5 can handle 9 cells, that is why I am looking for an emaxx esc.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #55
RCC Addict

I think you'll be pleased with the offset gears. I currently have a moped esc and i think they're 8-cell limit but have heard they don't even like 8-cell. The XL5 is happy on 8-cell. Not looking to spend much more money on this cheap crawler but it could really use a volt boost, plus my stampede is going brushless.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #56

That garage door is lookin pretty rough, you might want to take care of that before you have a little RC door right at the bottom
mschaffer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #57
RCC Addict

If you mow grass onto a building long enough, the grass starts growing there, haha. I have pressure washing the garage on my summer to-do list though, along with bringing in more rocks to play on.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Got some busted cinder blocks from an old store building that burnt maybe 1/4 mile from my house. I was tired and just dumped them in no particular order. Should make for a good course though with all the sharp ledges.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Well I hate to admit defeat, but I'm giving up on the Cliff Climber as a crawler, even scaled down the way mine is it just isn't as much fun. So I'm rearranging my RC projects and will be using the CC axles under bly Clod/Blazer scaler rig with 1.9's. The stick chassis will be put up for sale for cheap if anyone is interested. For a crawler I'm going to use some TLT axles and pede tanny I was trying to sell and build them similar in size to my CC crawler. I like the shorter tires and wheelbase, 4" and 11.25" respectively, but the Dura-stall was getting overwhelming. Good luck to the rest of you trying to make these things work, I'll start a new build for my CC Scaler, since it won't be allowed in the scale section, once I actually start working on it.