Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR glitching!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

We are aware of the issue. We made a decision in the beginning to go for max performance knowing that it would not work great with some AM receivers. We did not expect anything to work poorly, but expected reduced range with some. Engineering is often about trade offs and Tekin is about performance. The butter smooth throttle even at low speeds, consistent and adjustable brakes, and small footprint that does not need a heatsink is a result of that decision.

It appears with a few specific low end AM 27MHz receivers the range is pretty short. The Traxxas 2215 and the rtr unit in the Axial are 2 that seem to work the worst. The Traxxas 2015 is a lot better but even bigger. We are considering the options currently but it seems anyone wanting the performance of an FxR would also want a little smaller receiver that works better. The B1R may be a better option for these rtr kits. We need to look closer at how it is working with these receivers. Might make more sense to work off the B1 platform to make a unit that works well with any receiver so we really hit this market right with low cost and good performance.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 01-16-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtekin View Post
We are aware of the issue. We made a decision in the beginning to go for max performance knowing that it would not work great with some AM receivers. We did not expect anything to work poorly, but expected reduced range with some. Engineering is often about trade offs and Tekin is about performance. The butter smooth throttle even at low speeds, consistent and adjustable brakes, and small footprint that does not need a heatsink is a result of that decision.

It appears with a few specific low end AM 27MHz receivers the range is pretty short. The Traxxas 2215 and the rtr unit in the Axial are 2 that seem to work the worst. The Traxxas 2015 is a lot better but even bigger. We are considering the options currently but it seems anyone wanting the performance of an FxR would also want a little smaller receiver that works better. The B1R may be a better option for these rtr kits. We need to look closer at how it is working with these receivers. Might make more sense to work off the B1 platform to make a unit that works well with any receiver so we really hit this market right with low cost and good performance.

Tekin Prez
This is why you buy from Novak
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
grimgard I have a lot of patience for stuff but comments like this set me off!!!!

First off Novak is a great company and I have nothing bad to say about them but for the crawling community Tekin and Castle are the ONLY esc's to offer competitive products. In regards to Tekin the size and drag brake capability are the finest out there, not to mention the ability to tune, change wires, customer service, price, marketing, lipo cutoff, reverse adjustability, setup and BEC are the finest in the industry.

Perhaps next time when the President of a company (Tekin or otherwise) takes the time to help us, we'll step back and offer constructive criticism rather than worthless banter that benefits know one.

Brett Thorne
CO-President Reign RC
CO-President UTRCRC

Last edited by kaetwo; 01-16-2009 at 06:00 PM.
kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #24
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
grimgard I have a lot of patience for stuff but comments like this set me off!!!!

First off Novak is a great company and I have nothing bad to say about them but for the crawling community Tekin and Castle are the ONLY esc's to offer competitive products. The size and drag brake capability are the finest out there, not to mention the ability to tune, change wires, customer service, price, marketing, lipo cutoff, reverse adjustability, setup and BEC are the best out there.

Perhaps next time when the President of a company (Tekin or otherwise) takes the time to help us, we'll step back and offer constructive criticism rather than worthless banter that benefits know one.

Brett Thorne
CO-President Reign RC
CO-President UTRCRC
I couldn't agree more with what Kaetwo just said. I have never seen a company more willing to help customers figure out any issues with their products than Tekin. You couldn't pay me to run any other ESC on the market, I'd be at a dissadvantage.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Wow, what a slam, especially after you hear from the president of Tekin, no less, the reason things are the way they are. I don't see anyone else taking as much interest in their products and providing nearly as much field support through the means of a forum on the internet.

I'll tell you what. If you feel the need to run a low budget, piece of crap radio with a higher end speed controller, you are pretty backwards in your train of thought. In this day and age, if you do something halfway, then you have to wonder why bother doing it at all? It's kind of like buying a Ferrari, and then complaining you can't afford the gas, oil, or service to actually drive and enjoy the car to it's full potential.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Wow thanks for the support guys You have to have pretty thick skin to deal with forums so no worries. However I can’t resist a comment.

Yes speedos designed in the 90’s do work better with low end radios including old Tekin products.

We are willing to build a product that works with all rtr systems that will still be superior in terms of size, features and overall performance. That’s why we here is to listen and learn so we can make the right products for the right markets and determine if there are really enough people that want it to justify the investment.

Have I mentioned that in general we love the crawler crowd? Laid back and typically fun to work with compared to many other competitive RC groups. We are even talking about a crawler event here this summer since we are in a beautiful ski resort town with lots of great terrain. Competitors products welcome, we need someone the thump

Tekin Prez
Old 01-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Oh yeah, sure, cause their Rooster Crawler was perfect since they introduced it right?

Way to go Jim.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #28

I think its great to have a product that is full performance based, but if it will not work with Am radios then that should be stated on the item. So that people that just want to swap out the esc to get the added benifits of drag brake, instant reverse, etc, are not disappointed when they buy this.
rippin686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Agreed, we certainly did not mean to mislead anyone. It works acceptable with the AM receivers we tested and had at that time. These receivers seem to be ‘special’ and were not common in our markets when we designed the FxR. Hindsight is always 20/20 and until now we were not aware of the issue. Looking forward during a design project it is very difficult to anticipate companies stepping backwards to lower cost instead of improving the products. We just do not think that way. All we can do is acknowledge the problem and decide what to do at this point

We are honestly glad to see this information available. We would rather lose a sale then have unhappy customers.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 01-16-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Is there a list somewhere of the AM receivers you tested with the FXR?

Will be a while before I can swing for an 2.4, but a new receiver is not out of the question.

Bought the FXR, and running a Tq3, with the receiver it came with.. atg about 20 feet or so it will start glitching.. wasn't sure if it was low batteries in the trans or not, was going to swap em out, but then came to this thread.
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

im in the glitchy boat too. i bought a axial RTR and have been upgrading all the shitty parts and bought a tekin and i love it but i compete with my crawler and the glitch always makes me lose points. i literally have to point my transmitter to the receiver and i can not get more than 5 feet from my crawler or it freaks out. i know i need to go to better quality electronics but i dont have a money tree in my yard so its gonna take a little longer. i wish there was a receiver that would fix this issue that would provide me with a temporary upgrade.
the kil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

try a external Power cap in the battery slot on the radio receiver it works 9 out of 10 times
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
I couldn't agree more with what Kaetwo just said. I have never seen a company more willing to help customers figure out any issues with their products than Tekin. You couldn't pay me to run any other ESC on the market, I'd be at a dissadvantage.
X2!!! I will never buy another esc that isn't a "TEKIN" Period. My sons rig will be getting an FXR as soon as I get my rig exactly were I want it. Thank you Tekin for making an awsome product for us.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:23 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedone View Post
try a external Power cap in the battery slot on the radio receiver it works 9 out of 10 times

What size power capacitor should I try?
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

I have never had a single problem with any of my Tekin FXRs, I have 3 standards and just ordered 2 Pro versions. I have never had even the slightest glitch and have been running FXRs since they came out..... but then again, I use a real radio.
Tekin FXR is currently by far the best out there (imo)
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys for the support! If you need to run the AM radios you have you can try to find one of the old school Tekin or N___K am recievers on ebay. They're a bit better made than the stuff that you're setup with now. The filtering should be better and help with glitching.
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #37

I've tried the external cap on the receiver and the caps on the motor, no difference. The interference or impedance mismatch is present when you connect the white wire from the Tekin FXR. You can remove the white wire from the Tekin esc and still run the red and black for power from the Tekin internal bec and the steering runs fine with no glitching.
rippin686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #38

I had some glitching issues with the axial am radio and the tekin, I have since but an fm futaba and haven't had any problems since.
oscaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

just by reading around it sound like the higher power battery you have the more you need to invest in a external BEC i has helped with mine i love my FXR and i just need to get a better batt
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

dont think the problem is in the AM radio i have hooked up three different radio and receivers two fm and one was 2.4 and i still have glitching with the 2s and 3s lipos...when i turn the power on you can drive the rig around and it just starts to glitch really bad i mean it will stop on a dime while at full throttle and then when it is just sitting in front of me i look at the esc there is the red light on and every couple of seconds the light will jump and then go back to the middle without even doin anything i have unplugged dig and steering i have tried it all and i just cant figure it out the esc is brand new i have tried 3 different motors to see if that was it but it was not it is in the speed control which sucks because i love tekin products but i guess there is a couple bad apples in every batch oh yea i forgot to tell you that the esc gets warm also not very hot but pretty warm from just like a 1 to 2 minute run around the yard no climbing...............P III
ol dirty dirt is offline   Reply With Quote