Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR glitching!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tekin FXR glitching!!!!

I have a FXR love it but glitches bad bad
i have all the caps installed on the motor and installed as illustrated.. gkitches so bad i dont drive the truck.
if i swap esc with my rooster it all goes away

what could cause this? need help badly.
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

What tx are you running? I run a Fxr and have had no problems. You say you installed the motor caps but did you install the esc cap from the Tekin accessory pack on the battery posts?
rc4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

motor caps and the tekin supplied cap both installed

as for the tx its a 2PL AM maybe a problem running the am but still should not be this bad surely tekin would not make a esc that would not run using a am radio
Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
motor caps and the tekin supplied cap both installed

as for the tx its a 2PL AM maybe a problem running the am but still should not be this bad surely tekin would not make a esc that would not run using a am radio
Ya and you're able to run the rooster with no problem so it is not the radio. Do you have a servo or the reciever right by the Tekin? Or any metal touching it?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
RCC Addict

tube frame all aluminum chassis
Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

That thing is pretty cool. All I can say is try moving the fxr around. I run mine in the rear axle so it is sitting on the plastic housing.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
RCC Addict

i broke the tape loose from the chassis and is a little better but not much. still glitches pretty and cannot get smooth action from the esc

i'll try it in my comp rig and see what happens

thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think your on the right track. Try another rig and see if that helps, or you could try running a motor and steering servo from the ESC just on your workbench. See if it glitches there. If so, you may need to have Tekin take a look at it. I've never had this problem with any of mine that I've used.

Keep us posted. Where happy to help.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Moderator Rule Breaker

I'm going on limb and say it your am radio. I would try another radio if you have one or if you have a buddy with fm or or say dx3 or dx3r and try that and I bet that will get rid of your glitching. I use to run a tq3 and glitches something bad till switch over to fm and went away. I finally upgraded to dx3r and love it !
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'm with Eric. I'd bet it was the AM tx.
CJBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Try moving the tx away from the esc first. One at each end of the rig, if not... new radio. Sad but probably true. I'm rfearing the time I have to plop down for a 2.4 radio.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Try not to let any series of wires cross and if they have to only at a right angles. For wires in pairs (ie plus minus battery wires, plus minus motor wires) twist them together. Last of all seperate your electronic components as much as possible.
RCbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The tekin switches at a different frequency than the novak, so it is very possible that it could cause interferance that the novak doesn't make.

Try moving everything around, maybe a different set of crystals. Otherwise ditch that AM radio if you can.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I had a new one that I sent in for repair. Glitched worse the farther away I got from the controllers. 12 foot range was about max. Turned radio off and the car would take off wildly. Glitched in and out of the rig.Tried unplugging the servo, motor still glitched. Tried unplugging the motor, servo still glitch. Tried 27 Mhz am, and 75 Mhz fm. While in for repair, they reported no issues with Spektrum. I'm guessing mine transmitted noise in the lower 27-75 Mhz range, or the spektrum weeded it out. Food for thought. Funny part is I work with two-way radio for a job. Had a service monitor that I could have check the noise level with, but the thought never crossed my mind till now.

Last edited by skid; 09-18-2008 at 10:15 AM.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

true, clean up the wiring first and see if you can avoid a new radio. But the bottom line is AM is quirky. FM or 2.4 is a huge improvement. You can also find good deals. I just bought a DX3 tx on Ebay this week for $51. gl
CJBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

or a new DX5 stick radio with receiver and no servo's for under $100 new I believe.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I'm having some problems with glitching on my FXR as well. When I hook up a 7.2v NiCd stick pack, everything is fine, but when I hook up a 11.1v lipo, it glitches like crazy after about 20 feet. Any ideas why it would glitch more with more voltage? I even tried using a different receiver, and it still glitched. Is it an issue with the FXR BEC? Would a CC BEC help?
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #18

My FXR glitches as well. I use a TQ3 radio. I was using the Traxxas TQ3 mini 4 channel reciever. I then went to the original (old style, big 3 channel) reciever, mounted in the same spot, same crystals, etc and glitching went away. All I am saying is the reciever plays a part in it too.

Keith
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i dunped mmy rig in the creek and ffryed the rec. time for a new radio
Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #20

I have a problem with the glitching also on the Tekin FXR. Talked to tekin about it and there looking in to how to fix it. The esc is causing glitching on the AM bands. Mine glitches with the stock Axial RTR radio and receiver and with the Traxxas TQ3 radio and 2216 mini Traxxas 4 chanel receiver. If I install the stock Axial esc no glitching. Works great with my Spektrum radio/receiver though.

People having this problem should call Tekin, I talked to the owner Jim and he said mine is the first call he has had. He is looking into it, but if he gets more calls I think it will make things move faster. So if your having these issues please call and talk to Jim at 208-634-5559 or email at jcampbell@teamtekin.com. Thanks.
rippin686 is offline   Reply With Quote