Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR glitching!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol dirty dirt View Post
when it is just sitting in front of me i look at the esc there is the red light on and every couple of seconds the light will jump and then go back to the middle without even doin anything
This is the temperature indiactor, this is normal.

If you're having glitching it maybe the radio/esc relationship. Some of the AM radios are fairly dirty in signal and it can cause glitching. If you're running 3s and a high powered servo I'd recomend a seperate BEC to get maximum performance.

What AM radio is it?
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #42

I'm still buying tekin. The problem sounds relatively isolated, and there is a reasonable solution. Thanks Tekin for taking the time to respond, even if some people don't see the value in that.
ohsoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

How warm does the unit get? How many leds are flashing every 2 sec when in nuetral?

Since you are seeing radio noise it may have a bad fet. It would still work decent, but would get hot easy driving or maybe even sitting in nuetral.

You do have a good cap installed?

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

True to the topic of this thread....

Has anyone had better luck with the B1R and the AM radios?

We call the B1R a mini crawler unit, but it can easily handle 2S and a 55T in a scale or comp rig.

Tekin Prez
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

maybe i didnt make myself clear i have tried just about every radio other than AM and i am still getting glitching i have three caps on one motor that i tried i have two caps on the the one that came in the fxr kit i have caps on the puller motor also........look i like tekin alot and i have been dealin with rc cars for about 20 years so this isnt my first dance...like i said i think i got a bad apple sometimes it just happens so i will buy another one not that i want to but oh well shit happens i have had about 6 of the tekin rage mini motors all of them great i would not have a mamba over a tekin but one of the pinion shafts broke as soon as i nailed the throttle not 1 minute on this motor still have it like i said bad apple in the bunch not worth cryin over................P III
ol dirty dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

oh yea as far as the motor getting hot it is pretty warm to the touch after about 1 minute of driving keep in mind this speed control has about 3 batteries through it and the glitching is just getting worse and as far as the 3s goes this is not my first fxr and i never had a problem with 2s or 3s...............as far as which light i it going to i am not sure the car is at home and i am at work but i will check for you thanks for your time TEAM TEKIN...........P III
Old 03-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Sounds broke and under warranty to me

If you have other setups that work and can switch the speedos and see this problem, it sure sounds like you have done your homework and the unit is borked! Please fill out the service form and send it in.

My guess is that one of those fet thingamabobs is not soldered down well and it is turning on when it wants to instead of when it should. We call this a floating gate and the current surges when you apply throttle can be very large, create radio noise and make things hot. Note however the speedo should get hot not the motor because the power is shorting thru the controller and not going thru the motor.

Tekin Prez
Old 03-18-2009, 12:22 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtekin View Post
Sounds broke and under warranty to me

If you have other setups that work and can switch the speedos and see this problem, it sure sounds like you have done your homework and the unit is borked! Please fill out the service form and send it in.

My guess is that one of those fet thingamabobs is not soldered down well and it is turning on when it wants to instead of when it should. We call this a floating gate and the current surges when you apply throttle can be very large, create radio noise and make things hot. Note however the speedo should get hot not the motor because the power is shorting thru the controller and not going thru the motor.

Tekin Prez
sorry about that it is the esc getting warm not the motor.....but really not that big of a deal i will just buy another i tend to throw my packages and all that good stuff away i do still have the store receipt from when and where i bought it but i hate to be a nit pic about shit like that the shop said they would send it in for me but whatever...i still love TEKIN and i do appreciate the feedback means alot to a guy like me....P III
Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #49
Pebble Pounder

We don't need the box. Just a copy of your receipt. Fill out the service form along with the receipt copy and send it in, no worries.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P View Post
We don't need the box. Just a copy of your receipt. Fill out the service form along with the receipt copy and send it in, no worries.

theres another good response from a responsible company...good to see

i have, and love, my tekin fxr
i have a bit of glitching while running with my spekky SR3100 and on 3s 2200mah but i know i need an external bec (and i run under major power lines out here to boot, heh heh - should i be getting glitching??)
i am hoping when i hook on the CC bec it helps; but my glitching is not bad enough too even complain about compared to others here (or starter of this thread, primarily), too many good things on this esc entice me to not hash over the litte stuff like the odd glitch (especially, once again, running where we are running - although i am now working on my ccbec to reduce it , heh heh
and yeah i own other speed controls from "N____K) among many others. good job Tekin - Keep up the good work and willingness to deal with concerns !!
3.3 Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #51

Man I am so pissed. There has got to be a fix for AM + FXR. I am running Futaba 4wd am brand new with AX 10 new and FXR 45 new. I never would have thought the crawler can't get 15 ft away from you without throwing a glitching fit. Tried with/ and without motor caps same thing. Was thinking of maybe a crystal change or bigger motor caps or testing a external cc BEC. Going to try different crystals now.
badbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

A bec will help but really the fxr and am aren't a good match. My sidewinder is better with the futaba am but I love the fxr 3pk fasst.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #53

Retested with different 27mhz crystals, barely a difference. Swapped out FXR for my duratrax intellespeed F/R same 45t motor no caps, $40 esc and the crawler went clear across the yard, perfect, no glitches. The controller is fine. That's enough testing for now.

Last edited by badbrown; 04-25-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #54

My testing was done with regular ni cad 1900mah. with Bec on and off. No different. I don't own a lipo.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

There are some radios that do not work all that well at a distance. We require a strong singal 100% of the time to work properly. My suggestion is to pick up a budget FM or spread spektrum radio system. You're going to get more benefits from this radio as well, not just the glitch busting ability but things like digital trims, multi model memory,etc.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #56

I put back in my duratrax esc and a standard 540 motor from 1986 and controlled the ax10 from 100ft., at least. The controller is a Futaba 4wd 4ch. $129 from tower hobbies. Not cheap per say. But way better than a TQ3 or some other RTR controller. Yes I had TQ3 in my Tmaxx, Then the Futaba 4wd, now a Hitec FM. The Futaba went to my AX10 for the 4ch dig. trims+epa+sub trims+3 model memory. It has all that. Other than this forum there was no indication the fxr not working with an AM controller. I offered my own testing and different combos tests that's all I can do at the moment.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #57

Has anyone had any luck with the Novak Glitch Buster. I may try one of these if my LHS carries it. I tried to make my own but the capacitor size was'nt right.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrown View Post
Man I am so pissed. There has got to be a fix for AM + FXR. I am running Futaba 4wd am brand new with AX 10 new and FXR 45 new. I never would have thought the crawler can't get 15 ft away from you without throwing a glitching fit. Tried with/ and without motor caps same thing. Was thinking of maybe a crystal change or bigger motor caps or testing a external cc BEC. Going to try different crystals now.

tha Tekin FXR I have works great. Try some radio gear from the same era as the Tekin FXR, you may have better luck. Crystals? dead. a short ish money radio is the AIRtonics MX3 2.4 around $130 with a receiver
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #59

True there is no fix to make the fxr work with a AM controller as I found out. You need a FM or spectrum controller to work the fxr properly. Had I known prior I would have chose a different combo of TX/RX + ESC. I was't looking for low buck equiptment though. I spend huge money on RC gear. I also don't think the guys who use TQ3 or lower end Tx are being cheap. Those controllers are easy to mod to do things that other tx on the market may not do.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #60
Pebble Pounder

We are sorry the FxR does not work with all AM recievers. AM is actually a fine system and it does work with most, just not some of the budget versions that come with RTR kits. It is a hardware and design issue, and was a choice between performance and radio noise. Honestly it worked with all the AM receievers we tried. There are only a few in particular that unfortunately are now very common that it does not work with. We did not aniticpate AM receivers getting worse than what existed, but many are saving pennies where they can in the volume rtr market. We just do not think that way and tend to spend too much building our products....

Tekin Prez