Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What servo do you run and why

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 02:27 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbeater View Post
I'm running Hobbico's C170's on both of 2.2's and on the super. I've never had a problem yet.
that is a rebadged hitec right?
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
how many years??????
i dont think the ds8711 or the 9100t have even been out for 3 years yet.....

Your right they haven't but the one before the 9100t was the 9000t, same servo just without red heatsink, that was around for a long time. And the 8711 was something else to a few years ago.
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

hobbico CS-170 great servo for the money. I'm pretty sure it is a rebadged Hitec. I've run them in all three classes without a problem.
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

I bought my RTR 'comp' rig used, it had Cirrus hi torque servos in it. The dig servo lasted 2 battery packs. the steering servo lasted a while, but ran hot as hell, even just fooling around in the house. Autopsies showed that they had both burned out their circuit boards.

I've been using Futaba stuff for 20 years, it always done well for me. Therefore the Futaba S9156 was a no-brainer for me. I chose the 9156 over the 9157, because I knew the 9156 was going to give me all the torque I needed. The 9157 would too, but with a higher power draw. I didn't want that.

I have run it on hot days, in some serious terrain, for a long time, and it barely gets warm.

In my book, you get what you pay for.
Jeep-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

For the shuttering, is it just a little bit, like one or two degree's? If so, take it apart and spin the gear set around so your using the other side of the gears. It's just trying to center itself and it doesn't think it can because there is slop.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Running a 9100T for steering and 645mg for dig. Bought the 9100T to try as steering in my 1/8 buggy, didn't like it, so in the crawler it went. Been running it for about a year, running old novak super rooster, no external BEC. Also have 7955TG for steering in my buggy, I love its speed and torque, I am hoping to try the new 7950 with unrestricted lipo someday, and I will probably end up transfering the 7955 to the crawler.

I have managed to burn up a servo in my 1/8 buggy, a 925mg for throttle, caused a runaway that killed my OS V-spec RB mods. I don't think I have broken any other servos actually.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #47
I joined the Band!

Futaba S3305 HT MG Servo. They are cheap $30.00 and work great! I use them in all my RC's and have had only one fail and that servo was a year old. The other 4 are still going strong.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
that is a rebadged hitec right?
all hobbico servos are rebadged hitecs. The cases are all molded with the hitec servo# under the hobbico sticker. Years ago when I mangaged a LHS I had one of the great planes dealer reps tell me they were seconds from the factory that manufactures Hitec servos, but ive never found any flaws with them. Id say they are just a tad out of hitec's "specs" electrically. As for myself, Im a futaba and KO propo guy (although at the moment Im running a hitec 5955 in my comp truck because i couldnt pass up the deal..) Ive tried using JR digitals since they first released them and Ive had a ton of trouble with them. Scottmisfits is right about the shuttering. Its because the servo doesnt think its centered correctly and keeps trying to correct it over and over, which causes overheating. Its the only thing I hate about digital servos. Try flipping the gears and if that doesnt work, check out the bushings/bearing/shafts that the gears ride on. One of them is probably worn or bent. Futaba and KO servos may be more expensive, but ive never had a high end futaba or KO digital servo go out. Has anyone tried any of the Orion digital servos yet?
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
all hobbico servos are rebadged hitecs. The cases are all molded with the hitec servo# under the hobbico sticker. Years ago when I mangaged a LHS I had one of the great planes dealer reps tell me they were seconds from the factory that manufactures Hitec servos, but ive never found any flaws with them. Id say they are just a tad out of hitec's "specs" electrically. As for myself, Im a futaba and KO propo guy (although at the moment Im running a hitec 5955 in my comp truck because i couldnt pass up the deal..) Ive tried using JR digitals since they first released them and Ive had a ton of trouble with them. Scottmisfits is right about the shuttering. Its because the servo doesnt think its centered correctly and keeps trying to correct it over and over, which causes overheating. Its the only thing I hate about digital servos. Try flipping the gears and if that doesnt work, check out the bushings/bearing/shafts that the gears ride on. One of them is probably worn or bent. Futaba and KO servos may be more expensive, but ive never had a high end futaba or KO digital servo go out. Has anyone tried any of the Orion digital servos yet?
buy me one and id be more than happy to test it for you! *i test for free*
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
buy me one and id be more than happy to test it for you! *i test for free*
HAHAHAHA Im still looking for someone to buy ME one to test....
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #51

I'm running Savöx 20kg servos, which I think are the same as Orion. Working great so far, digital and with all titanium gears.
meshwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #52
dkf
Rock Crawler

I'm running a Hitec 645MG/TP 995MG "Hybrid" servo right now in my scaler. I burned up the motor in my 645 and had a brand new 995 laying around. Tower Pros electronics suck but the motrs are the same chinesse quality as the Hitec. I replaced the 645 motor with the 995 motor. Now I got a servo with all the accuracy of the Hitec but with quite a bit more torque than a standard 645 thanks to the donor motor.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

i run a 9100t simply because i have not yet managed to break it LOL

time will tell.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Im glad to see im not the only one that is having trouble with the JR stuff...
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
HAHAHAHA Im still looking for someone to buy ME one to test....
haha yea im running a 645, mainly because im 15 and broke as a bum
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #56
Who's your Daddy-0!

I run JR8711's in almost all of my crawlers and the ones I don't I run HiTec 5955's I've never had either fail on me and they have POWER, POWER, and more POWER JR has a killer warranty's on there stuff to! HiTec stands behind there's as well. But I say this on what friends have said about the warranty's, I've never had to send one in!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Maybe if you drove better Mike you wouldn't be ruining perfectly good servos.

But seriously, I have had my DS8711 bound up and never had an issue. This thread is making me nervous because now it will probably fry!

Has this problem occurred more with the 9100's or equally for either?
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshwolf View Post
I'm running Savöx 20kg servos, which I think are the same as Orion. Working great so far, digital and with all titanium gears.
orion servos are rebranded KO servos that accept futaba horns. Is this a rebrand rebrand?? Orions are great, run them in my offroad racers...b4, b44
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Oh yeah, JR DS 8711 for me w/cc bec, no issues yet...flawless.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
I have managed to burn up a servo in my 1/8 buggy, a 925mg for throttle, caused a runaway that killed my OS V-spec RB mods. I don't think I have broken any other servos actually.

i run the 925mg for a dig servo(got it out of my kyosha(sp) nitro buggy)
and a 645mg for steering

both work awsome at 6volts (ccbec) although the 925 is alitte fast for my likein on the dig it kinda just rams it home instead of easeing it in
urban is offline   Reply With Quote