Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR and 4 cell Lipo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tekin FXR and 4 cell Lipo

Is anyone running 4 cells to thier FXR? While rebuilding my car I found the issue I have been having for the last few months. The on off wires to my Mamba Max were torn almost completely off. A small tig and they were done. I tried to solder them back, but its a done deal. The MM has to go back to castle. I would love to send it in but there is a 3 week turn around. I need it this week for worlds. I would love to run the FXR if it can handle the 4 cells, otherwise I am gonna scramble to get in some new 3 cell batteries and an FXR.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Never tried a FXR on 4 cells. I will be at Worlds and do have a spare though if you need it.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

well according to the tekin wesite input voltage is 2s, unless used with a 35t or higher motor, then its 3s safe.... so i have a feeling 4s would cook it..

http://www.teamtekin.com/fx.html
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Unfortunately you already know the answer to this, but if it makes you feel better to have someone tell you it will work, go for it. I run mine with 3s and 25 turns and its great. I guess the real question is will tekin warranty it?
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
I guess the real question is will tekin warranty it?
Not if you keep talking about it.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
no talent hack

ted if its the switch you are talking about, you should be able to lay some solder across the 2 contacts on the board. the truck will always be on when its plugged in. otherwise, if you want, i can priority mail you a mamba max in the morning for you to run at worlds. fxr+4s=boom
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
Unfortunately you already know the answer to this, but if it makes you feel better to have someone tell you it will work, go for it. I run mine with 3s and 25 turns and its great. I guess the real question is will tekin warranty it?

If I had the answer I would not have asked the question. My SC10 has the r1pro and its rated for 3s and guys are running it on 4s in 1/8th scale. Maybe you should go back to your Super Gay.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
If I had the answer I would not have asked the question. My SC10 has the r1pro and its rated for 3s and guys are running it on 4s in 1/8th scale. Maybe you should go back to your Super Gay.
Maybe read the specs on the ESC next time
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Maybe read the specs on the ESC next time
again, I read the specs. But I asked if anyone was running 4s lipo on an FXR. I did not ask what size it was, I did not ask if it came in blue, I did not ask what tekin says it will do, I asked what other people have, or have not done.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-hills4x4 View Post
ted if its the switch you are talking about, you should be able to lay some solder across the 2 contacts on the board. the truck will always be on when its plugged in. otherwise, if you want, i can priority mail you a mamba max in the morning for you to run at worlds. fxr+4s=boom
I called Tekin this morning and they said that as long as I run a external bec, the voltage should not hurt it. They told me that they had never done it, but it would probably work, just watch the temps and I should probably run a pack or 2 before I head out to worlds. And I should call them to let them know one way or the other.

But after starting my rebuild today I found that the 4s lipo does not quite fit on the front links. Its just like me, a bit to thick. I might give the uppers a little bend to get it in there.

And thanks for the offer, but I am going to try to borrow another ESC to have as a back up just in case.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
no talent hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
And thanks for the offer, but I am going to try to borrow another ESC to have as a back up just in case.
no problem. i should have a couple with me anyways if you need it. we are staying in the same hotel, so i shouldnt be too hard to find
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I did read on here somewhere of someone running 4s in their FXR. I myself have never tried it.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #14

I used to run a 35 turn and 4 cell lipo on my Wreckluse with no problem. The moor did run alittle hot but with a smaller pinion you should be ok.
robertrocha6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Did anyone every try this? I want to give this a go when the super berg is done, but I don't fancy sending $200 worth of electronics up in smoke

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Dont want to start a new thead.. So dragging up this one that is closest...

Has anyone run the FXR successfully on 4s lipo?

I am reminded of when the MM fist came out, and we all were running them with more than the reccomended cell count, simply my dissconnecting the internal BEC (as per castles reccomendations)..

I am thinking that on the FXR, if they rate it for 35T motors, on 3s... that they are taking into account you will be using their internal BEC which generates ALOT OF HEAT..... just like castle did... and by not using their BEC... you are safe to jump up on voltage.. Id especially think this to be true on a crawler, as your not running WOT all the time...
MOTORRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I just got my dual fxr's and I will be running them on 4s. I think all you need is a capacitor and nova's ark is selling them. http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/in...=products&id=6

Not sure if the esc's are gonna last so I am curious as well to see if anybody is running this.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
I just got my dual fxr's and I will be running them on 4s. I think all you need is a capacitor and nova's ark is selling them. http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/in...=products&id=6

Not sure if the esc's are gonna last so I am curious as well to see if anybody is running this.
curious what the specs are on the stock CAP... Id think it has enough voltage rating...
Old 11-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I'm reading right off the stock capacitor and its 330 16v and the nova's ark capacitor is 25v 1000 uf. Not sure what all that means but there are the specs.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORRAD View Post
curious what the specs are on the stock CAP... Id think it has enough voltage rating...
Just looked. stock cap is 330. and 16V... so on 4s that is pushing the V limits..

Definatly need to upgrade the CAP if running 4s...

EDIT:...

didnt see you postd up the specs Diamond..

the 1000 and 330 is the ammount of power it will store. and let loose.... (capacitance) (umph. in normal terms)..

the voltage is simple.. its the voltage it will handle before she goes BANG... if your anywhere near the volt limits on a cap. you need to go up..

deffinatly the stock cap wont be happy or safe on 4s...

heading to radio shack today to see about a cap... (impatiant to order one)..

On a side note... I just ran my crawler, (3s lipo, 35T HH machine wounds).. on front dig for 10min straight WOT around the house, carpet, tile, floormats. etc... and it was hardly noticble over room temp... so I think Im good in that department.... Now my truck weighs in at 4lbs 13.5oz so that could effect things if your heavy..

EDIT AGAIN..
one of these puppies should do it.. depends on how much capacitance you want..

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tic+capacitors
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tic+capacitors

personally Id run the 1000MF one... as it will take more load off of the batt pack...

Last edited by MOTORRAD; 11-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.