Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: TowerPrg MG995

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #161
Quarry Creeper

Well after reading most of this thread I decided to put in my $.02 on this servo. I have had a few before and I also recieved a few from Double J and I like them they are a good platform to work off of. Just like any product there are bad ones that go through, just some companys check all of them and toss the bad ones, and other company dont. One thing I have found with these is the POT goes bad on them and that is what can cause some glitching. The POT is alway trying to find a zero spot or correcting for a ummmm a ummmm aaaa, I forgot I have to go back to the books. They are not hard to change out or put in some resestors for constant turn. I have found a replacement for them at radio shack for 2 bucks for 4 of them. Just use care when soldering the wires in place as heat will kill the POT. Also the electrical board is not protected from stuff in the case and this causes it to short out sometimes. To help with this I use some liquid electrical tape on it and it also water proofs it as well. Also some Hi-Tec servos use the same type of setup and I have just swapped the electrical stuff out. I will have to find the servo model.

Here is an example of what to do with one, this one is new and has no probilms (Thanks DJ ) just showing the basics.

First remove the 4 screws at the bottom and remove the top and bottom plates. Then use a small flat blade screwdrive to gently pry the POT gear off (the one with the bearing)

To get out the POT remove the philips screw inside the case, then push lightly on the shaft.

Then the POT is out. If you are replacing it you can cut the wires at the POT or de-solder them. Then re-solder the new POT in place and cover with liquid electrical tape.
Mechanicalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Well, I don't have a fancy radio w/ EPA's, but these 995's had the same 90 degrees of range that every other servo I've used has had, UNTIL it suffered this failure. Something in this servo failed and made it rotate PAST it's normal 90 degree range, THAT'S when things got bound up.

How's my steering linkage responsible for THAT?? It would have to move farther than mechanically possible. This was no gradual failure, it happened all at once.

By removing the gear that failed in servo 1 from servo 2 that locked up I was able to get one of the 995's running again.
Hooked to my radio, it throws 90 degrees, no more - no less.

Last edited by Big Mike; 03-26-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #163
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Well, I don't have a fancy radio w/ EPA's, but these 995's had the same 90 degrees of range that every other servo I've used has had, UNTIL it suffered this failure. Something in this servo made it rotate PAST it's normal 90 degree range, THAT'S when things got bound up.
What you are talking about is the stop on the POT gear.It is a metal stop that is hitting the plactic case and after enough hits it will go pass it's normal throw get stuck on the plastic and not return. The servo will also be trying to return and be "clicking" or poping. If you want send me your servo's and I can find out what happened for you. Also a servo saver might help with this as well.

Steve
Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #164
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Bob. I may take you up on that.
I've heard back from Christine again already, she asked for my shipping address. She also asked if 945's might be a better option for me.
She worded things like she was going to send me 2 new servos, 945's instead of 995's if I want.
We'll see how it goes. So far Towerpro's customer service seems pretty decent.
Where I screwed up was getting these from an Ebay dealer, instead of from Double-J.
Did you re-grease the one you photo'ed? It has a lot more of a different grease than the ones I have. I'm wondering if I got some re-pops or something.
I've always used aluminum horns, but I've also never used a servo over 85 oz. until now. I may have to re-think using some savers...

Last edited by Big Mike; 03-27-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #165
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Thanks Bob. I may take you up on that.
Did you re-grease the one you photo'ed? It has a lot more of a different grease than the ones I have. I'm wondering if I got some re-pops or something.
I've always used aluminum horns, but I've also never used a servo over 85 oz. until now. I may have to re-think using some savers...

Yea I did r-greese the servo, it helps with the little extra play in them. If you are using this servo on a crawlerer then I would say dont use a servo saver as it might take away some performance, in a basher yea put one in. Also Double-J is a great place to get them too

Steve
Old 03-29-2007, 08:01 AM   #166
I wanna be Dave

I got this e-mail this morning:

Quote:
Dear Mike,

I'll send you new MG945*2pcs for you to test it for free and plus MG995*2pcs for replacement.
Because we don't have that car you mention in China for testing our servos.

It's hard to know if our MG945 is suitable for it or not. Hope you can test it..and let us know the result.

I hope you can share that experience with us too..
Hope this MG945 won't waste your time for testing....

Thank you for all your time for this in advanced.
I'll give you list later...

Many thanks and best regards,
Christine
Sounds like not only is she sending 2 995's to replace mine, but also 2 945's to test. Sweet! I wonder how long they will take to ship?
The list she mentions is a list of their authorized Stateside dealers - so I can post it here. (It's a short search IMO - contact Double J - but I'll put it up)
Towerpro's customer service is looking better and better.

Update - Towerpro's recommended Stateside dealer: jpcustomrcs.com - home of the Pimp Cane.
(Christine writes "He seem to specialize in truck" )
There's 2 sources right here on the site, no need to look too far for these servos. I gotta lay off the Ebay...

Last edited by Big Mike; 03-30-2007 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:55 AM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Well I have been talking and found out that they are making stronger Servos. One that as almost 300oz of torque. I'm trying to get one off of them for testing.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:05 AM   #168
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M715ForLife View Post
Cool, but I think they are going to add a "0" to the price!

And it will be bigger.

That is JUST IMO!

Sorry Jerod, havent bought the servo yet.:-(
I don't think it will be 230 bucks. Also it's a standard size servo. Just IMO
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #169
I wanna be Dave

Cool - a package from China arrived today.
2 995's for replacements AND 2 954's to test.
I'm going to throw the 945's in this afternoon, I'll put up some test results tomorrow.
So far, Towerpro's customer service is absolutely top-drawer. I just hope they hand-picked these servos and tested them before they sent them!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #170
I wanna be Dave

These 945's rock. Great power, minimal glitchiness. So far they are doing exactly what I tell them to, they sound normal, and they barely get warm.

I found out something strange about my TQ3 during all of this nonsense.
I've never been able to turn to the right as far as I could to the left, no matter what servo I was running. Last couple months it seems to have gotten much worse.
So I took the steering assy. out of the case and tried it - with just the assembly in my hand I suddenly had full steering range, not only full to the right, but even a little more to the left.
So from there I just relieved the stops on the case little by little so the wheel had more range to turn, checking the steering each time, until I had it dialed.
Anybody else ever had this happen?
Old 04-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #171

hey i was just wondering if these would work in a stock WK with in place of the standard servo that doesnt seem to want to push the tires around enough.

thank you for the help
Mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #172
Rock Crawler

yes they would, there the same size as any servo. i love mine, no problems yet.
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #173

awesome ty very much =-)

think im gunna pick a few up hehe should be a helpfull start for my project
Mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:57 AM   #174

I got 2 of the tp mg995's the first one froze after 2 days the second one didnt even work. It was froze as soon as i hooked it up. I sent a email to rcsmart(who i bought them off of). waiting for a reply now. If I dont get anything back, I just replace the pots?
crazietj is offline   Reply With Quote