Notices

Thread: 3Racing winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl View Post
this is how I did it, keeps from running 2 batteries

Did you unhook the power wire from your winch controller to the receiver (the middle wire)...this is how I hooked my winch controler up and the smoke was let out.....I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) if you hook up the battery and not unhook the middle wire at the receiver, the winch controller is getting twice the power..from the battery, and from the receiver.....is this correct?!?!?!?

this is the controller I have, has 3 wires to the winch.

Last edited by squatch71; 01-25-2011 at 05:56 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info WIDELOAD! I tried that on my tx but it isnt working that way. Bummer, that would have been a cheap, free and easy mod!

Thanks
0lllllll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
rbl
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
The thing in the top left looks to be his BEC.
yes thats a bec.
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
rbl
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
Did you unhook the power wire from your winch controller to the receiver (the middle wire)...this is how I hooked my winch controler up and the smoke was let out.....I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) if you hook up the battery and not unhook the middle wire at the receiver, the winch controller is getting twice the power..from the battery, and from the receiver.....is this correct?!?!?!?

this is the controller I have, has 3 wires to the winch.

the controller I have is only a 2 wire one, its what comes with the 3racing winch
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

ok, so what about the power wire going to the RX????
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #26
rbl
Rock Crawler

Quote:
ok, so what about the power wire going to the RX????

the plug to the esc has three wires, red, white and black. but 2 to the battery and 2 to the winch plug
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Reading between the lines here, it sounds like maybe we are suspicious of the winch controller having a BEC in it. If you pull the red wire from its servo plug and power things up, what's the voltage on that red wire?
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

There's no Bec in the winch controller...
I've never removed the red wire form the rX plug on any of mine.
To check though i just dragged out my spare controller to check and there is no voltage going into the board from the red rX wire (there is voltage in the wire from the rX, but it doesnt go into the board). So you dont need to remove it.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl View Post
the plug to the esc has three wires, red, white and black. but 2 to the battery and 2 to the winch plug
ummm.....

Quote:
There's no Bec in the winch controller...
I've never removed the red wire form the rX plug on any of mine.
To check though i just dragged out my spare controller to check and there is no voltage going into the board from the red rX wire (there is voltage in the wire from the rX, but it doesnt go into the board). So you dont need to remove it.
soo, do you plug in another battery to the controler?? I'll just plug it in and smoke another one...........
Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #30
www.team3sixrc.com

Listen, This and has been my set up for several years now and I am trying hard to understand why it is that people who have used this set up are having issues. I carefully went though this set up, never have burned up a servo or winch, never blew up a battery. Every comp I have run this set up has been without issues.

Now either I am the luckiest S.O.B. with 7 of the 3Racing winches and 4 of the RC4WD winches, or I actually recieved the correct information.

Now on the other hand with the Heyok hack that he offers. Its a very good deal that is inexpensive cure for 2 or 3 channel opperators who want a winch servo without creep.

BTW guys, I do have information on my website for electronics.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post

Listen, This and has been my set up for several years now and I am trying hard to understand why it is that people who have used this set up are having issues. I carefully went though this set up, never have burned up a servo or winch, never blew up a battery. Every comp I have run this set up has been without issues.
Squatch connected his winch controller to his battery leads for power, plugged it in to his receiver and connected the 3 leads to the winch. The controller smoked and his lipo puffed so we are leery of hooking it up the same way again. From what I'm reading on here, it was connected correctly so we want to figure out what was wrong before we try it again.
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

It sounds like Squatch had a dud winch controller that shorted and overdrew the battery. Either that or the input polarity to the winch controller was incorrect causing the same effect.

The was team3six has his set up is the right way and the way the recommend in the instructions that come with the 3r winch.

It is luck of the draw with the stock control units though. I have had stock 3r controllers last for over a year running 3s with some major winch use. But then i've had others only last 1-2pulls running at 6v input.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #33
rbl
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Now either I am the luckiest S.O.B. with 7 of the 3Racing winches and 4 of the RC4WD winches, or I actually recieved the correct information.

Now on the other hand with the Heyok hack that he offers. Its a very good deal that is inexpensive cure for 2 or 3 channel opperators who want a winch servo without creep.

BTW guys, I do have information on my website for electronics.
ditto, Iv never had any problems. its pretty much plug and play
Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by big78ford View Post
From what I'm reading on here, it was connected correctly so we want to figure out what was wrong before we try it again.

amen.....

Quote:
the recommend in the instructions that come with the 3r winch.
big78 picked up a 3R from RC4WD and it came with no instructions......
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

ok guys....plugged in my winch controller, then plugged in the battery to the esc..hand was on the controler the whole time...turned on the esc, the controler got hot in one place..hard to tell where since it has shrink tube on it...unplugged the winch, and then did the same thing (thinking the winch was some how messed up) same thing, controler got hot...did I mention that I had not put a battery on the controler yet??? took the middle wire off the receiver plug, and ran through the whole thing again...winch controler was cool as cucumber....put a battery on the controler, then ran the winch up and down...has a "stutter" going in but other than that...it works....and the controller is fine...any one care to explain??? cause I am lost..heres a pic.

and as far as the stuttering on the winch..I switched all three wires they can and didn't make a difference...except one way..changing the black to red..it stuttered going out.....
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #36
www.team3sixrc.com

is that wired up like my diagram? Because it doesnt look like it.

Quote:
ok guys....plugged in my winch controller, then plugged in the battery to the esc..hand was on the controler the whole time...turned on the esc, the controler got hot in one place..hard to tell where since it has shrink tube on it...unplugged the winch, and then did the same thing (thinking the winch was some how messed up) same thing, controler got hot...did I mention that I had not put a battery on the controler yet??? took the middle wire off the receiver plug, and ran through the whole thing again...winch controler was cool as cucumber....put a battery on the controler, then ran the winch up and down...has a "stutter" going in but other than that...it works....and the controller is fine...any one care to explain??? cause I am lost..heres a pic.

and as far as the stuttering on the winch..I switched all three wires they can and didn't make a difference...except one way..changing the black to red..it stuttered going out.....
Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

The winch controller has a three wire output (brushless), Squatch used a separate battery to hook it up just in case. With the battery connected to the controller, I checked the voltage at the red wire that is supposed to plug into the receiver, it had five volts on it while disconnected. We unhooked the Rooster Crawler ESC from the receiver and reconnected the red wire from the winch controller, it powered the receiver but the winch controller got hot. Basically, the winch controller is acting like an ESC with a BEC. Does this make sense???
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #38
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by big78ford View Post
The winch controller has a three wire output (brushless), Squatch used a separate battery to hook it up just in case. With the battery connected to the controller, I checked the voltage at the red wire that is supposed to plug into the receiver, it had five volts on it while disconnected. We unhooked the Rooster Crawler ESC from the receiver and reconnected the red wire from the winch controller, it powered the receiver but the winch controller got hot. Basically, the winch controller is acting like an ESC with a BEC. Does this make sense???
Yeah but you have to remove the ESC red wire. Im not sure whats up. but I use Tekin so maybe that has something to do with it. I absolutly hate Novak now. Havent run that stuff for 8 years.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #39
Moderator Rule Breaker

Don't know if this will help or not.

I desoldered battery wiring and made them into a jumper wire going into rx plug wires.
eric113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

With this diagram,the winch control board is drawing power DIRECTLY from the LiPo, 11.1 Volts.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote