Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: winding a motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #61
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

rd400, the mag mayhem is a longer can motor that your d2. it will have more torque in most cases. how old is your d2? have you overheated it much? the magnets could be worn out and weak.

the best way to get more power from a motor is to wind it low and gear it way down. if you have a geared MM, it will most certainly have more power than a 55t 540 motor. if you want your power out of the 55t, you will need to add more voltage to it.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Ive decided to try this

Im jus gonnay buy a crap rebuildable motor from ebay , and I work in maplin so I can get enameled wire easy quick , all sizes...
Ive been reading up on this .. and sounds like somethin I wanna do

Excellent work you lot !
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #63

post up with your reactions and findings on wire size if you wish. wire guage is something i never got into
Old 11-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Very interesting BTT
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:02 AM   #65

Default do you strip old winds

Hey guys there should be a tech article on this,

I have a small question about rewinding motors do you strip off the old winds and then add 55 winds to each armature of do you just add the required winds to the existing ones to make it 55t?

Thanx in advance
ashley
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #66

You need to strip off all the old wire, and then put all new wire on.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #67

Default Thanx

thanx for the reply much apppreciated.
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:38 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Back in the early 90's I hand wound all my racing motors. This is very good info. I think this should be stickied.
polyophio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

not sure about interest but thought i would post here as it is to do with winding motors and this is a new concept

http://www.npcrobotics.com/products/...at=20&mode=gfx

is very powerful at 600W but then price is against it

if you check out thin gap motors they have another range with slightly less power but not sure on price...

anyway what i am trying to get at is that these motors look to be very good (although they use most powerful magnets) it is influenced by the Wind density

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

secondly could i rewind my 820 motor it already has ooodles of torque but thinking maybe of tryin to get more + keep the amp draw down :-P
jimbobmarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #70

Those motors are pretty cool. I have never used one, but my biggest concern would be heat dissapation (as always). High wattage low pole motors in a fixed size can never do well in crawlers for me. The 222 amp stall would happen all too often in my rig. In a bot or basher I bet it would rip though!

edit: The fact that NPC states stall amperage is a big plus, and lets me know they actually know what matters in a motor.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 02-10-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #71

is there a way to know that you got the motor wound right? ie: have all good connections... now that i read that i guess i could have put a meter on it, but would it run right smooth or would it run at all?
stolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #72

if it is wound right it will run smooth and cool. There really isnt much to mess up besides shorting a wind or winding it too loose.

I take it you rewound an arm?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
if it is wound right it will run smooth and cool. There really isnt much to mess up besides shorting a wind or winding it too loose.

I take it you rewound an arm?
yup, i rewound a 10turn triple with 65 turns i used the green wire from radioshack the motor works great lots of torque, its slow, but it just goes and run time is more than an hour... thanks for the write up...
stolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

ive got some 540 silvercans im rewinding and im just wanting to get this strait.

i want to do 100turn singles (dont ask me why) so would i use the medium(green) or light(red) gauge wire?

also where can i get some new magnets? these are pretty well used and beat up.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:30 PM   #75
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod booster
ive got some 540 silvercans im rewinding and im just wanting to get this strait.

i want to do 100turn singles (dont ask me why) so would i use the medium(green) or light(red) gauge wire?

also where can i get some new magnets? these are pretty well used and beat up.

If I remember right,85 turns of the green wire would fill up a 3 pole arm pretty full. Have no idea why you'd want any more. 85 turn was just outright STUPID slow. IMHO,55 turn is way to slow. Going to the red wire,when you hit 100 turns,they'll be alot of room left.

As far as the magnets,got any 540 cans that are in decent shape? Just swap cans or magnets. When I used to wind my own,I'd just go to the LHS and buy a stock motor that was rebuildable. You can usually find them at hobby shops for around $20. Tear it apart and rewind.....walla,new motor to your specs I'd always look for motors with the marks on the can so I could play with the timing also.

I've seen a few sites that sell magnets. Anything from cheapies that come in most of your car and truck motors all the way up to the high dollar super magnets. Can't remember for the life of me what sites they were though,Google is your freind though.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:11 AM   #76
Rock Stacker

Has anyone tried a double wind? such as 40 turns of light gague and 20 turns of heavy gague? Don't know if it would work, just wondering..

Cheers, Brad.

Last edited by Udlman; 10-21-2006 at 05:24 AM.
Udlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:10 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Holy Crap. Loads of get tech here. I may try this some day. If I don't get to lazy.... Get write up man...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

cool, well here come two 100 turn motors.

these motors came out of my original clod, 10-15 years old. if i get good at this ill start getting somemore from my LHS or rc4wd, the silver cans are the only motors they carry anymore.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udlman
Has anyone tried a double wind?

Cheers, Brad.

a proper double would be 20 winds of two strands of the same awg. You basically wind two strands at the same time and connect them both to the comm. It is still a 20 turn and acts like a 20 turn.

Whenever you wind a motor you want to fill up the armature as much as possible. We can call this maximum copper saturation. Maximum copper saturation with 20 turns of a single wire or 20 turns of two smaller wires (in parallel) should net the same result.

I have heard racers state that double, triple, etc winds have less punch and a more controllable power curve. It doesnt really mean a hill of beans for us crawlers. It is just more hassle to build a motor that way.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #80
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
a proper double would be 20 winds of two strands of the same awg. You basically wind two strands at the same time and connect them both to the comm. It is still a 20 turn and acts like a 20 turn.

Whenever you wind a motor you want to fill up the armature as much as possible. We can call this maximum copper saturation. Maximum copper saturation with 20 turns of a single wire or 20 turns of two smaller wires (in parallel) should net the same result.

I have heard racers state that double, triple, etc winds have less punch and a more controllable power curve. It doesnt really mean a hill of beans for us crawlers. It is just more hassle to build a motor that way.

Cheers, Thanks for that. Was just a thought, but no harm in asking.

Brad.
Udlman is offline   Reply With Quote